Re all the 'corner turned' talk... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Re all the 'corner turned' talk...

He doesn't have to be. He's a fan not a ember of the Staff.

44cuse

We are all recruiters, in a sense. Maybe we recruit fans rather than players.

Turning the corner is one thing and I think we are the best team in the BE right now. But we are not back yet. Far from it until we start putting together regular 8-3/9-2 records. Only wins will assure us we are back. Back is a premature word right now. We have a lot to replace on offense and the defense is very average. Let's not get ahead of ourselves even if the future looks bright.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

From the abyss that was the Robinson era - including the mind numbing reality of being at or near the absolute bottom of nearly every statistical category that mattered - to being able to compete and win against any team on the schedule, is the epitome of turning the corner for any program anywhere.

Will that now morph into being a consistent 8, 9, 10 game winner? That remains to be seen. The larger point, at this time, is that there is now tangible evidence that is possible.

That is what was on the other side of the corner...hope.

From the abyss that was the Robinson era - including the mind numbing reality of being at or near the absolute bottom of nearly every statistical category that mattered - to being able to compete and win against any team on the schedule, is the epitome of turning the corner for any program anywhere.

Will that now morph into being a consistent 8, 9, 10 game winner? That remains to be seen. The larger point, at this time, is that there is now tangible evidence that is possible.

That is what was on the other side of the corner...hope.

I'd include the abyss of a recruiting drought the last 3 P years. People like to forget that. Have to have talent to win too, regardless of the coach.

I'd include the abyss of a recruiting drought the last 3 P years. People like to forget that. Have to have talent to win too, regardless of the coach.

I don't necessarily disagree with that point, particularly with respect to the end of the P regime. On the other hand, GRob did a decent job with recruiting, relatively speaking. And, no amount of posturing can diminish the fact that Robinson coached whatever talent he did have into one of, if not the worse, BCS programs in the country.

I don't necessarily disagree with that point, particularly with respect to the end of the P regime. On the other hand, GRob did a decent job with recruiting, relatively speaking. And, no amount of posturing can diminish the fact that Robinson coached whatever talent he did have into one of, if not the worse, BCS programs in the country.

Robinson's mistake was changing the system his first season when he did have some P talent especially on offense. On defense they improved a lot from the prior season. But after that Robinson should not have been such a nice guy and should have benched all the upperclassmen and went with just youth.

Robinson's mistake was changing the system his first season when he did have some P talent especially on offense. On defense they improved a lot from the prior season. But after that Robinson should not have been such a nice guy and should have benched all the upperclassmen and went with just youth.

Maybe so. But, any objective analysis of his tenure undeniably indicates that he was way, way over his head as a head coach.

Maybe so. But, any objective analysis of his tenure undeniably indicates that he was way, way over his head as a head coach.

Any objective analysis would also indicate you can't make chicken salad out of chicken . He wasn't a good head coach and needed to be let go. But the record is made worse by the accumulation of the worst 3 consecutive years of recruiting in 3 decades or more.

Any objective analysis would also indicate you can't make chicken salad out of chicken . He wasn't a good head coach and needed to be let go. But the record is made worse by the accumulation of the worst 3 consecutive years of recruiting in 3 decades or more.

As a former coach, yeah I couldn't agree more about making chicken salad. It's when you take chicken and coach into toxic waste - that's the stuff legends are made of :cool:

And some people fixate on just a portion of the season to make sweeping generalizations about the state of the program. Last year, we started great and spit the bit in the second half. This year, we struggled early and put it together late. Which more accurately reflects the program? I don't know. Isn't it just possible that we benefited from a senior QB who came of age, and that is why we finished strong? I dunno.

We've had two losing seasons and two winning seasons under DM. If the first two seasons were the losing seasons, and the last two the winning seasons, I'd be more apt to buy the argument that we've turned the corner.

I've seen enough to hope that Doug is extended, and I'm cautiously optimistic. But, for me, I think that turned the corner means a team that can finish something like 8-3, at least on occasion. We'll have to wait until next year to see if we move in that direction.

And some people fixate on just a portion of the season to make sweeping generalizations about the state of the program. Last year, we started great and spit the bit in the second half. This year, we struggled early and put it together late. Which more accurately reflects the program? I don't know. Isn't it just possible that we benefited from a senior QB who came of age, and that is why we finished strong? I dunno.

We've had two losing seasons and two winning seasons under DM. If the first two seasons were the losing seasons, and the last two the winning seasons, I'd be more apt to buy the argument that we've turned the corner.

I've seen enough to hope that Doug is extended, and I'm cautiously optimistic. But, for me, I think that turned the corner means a team that can finish something like 8-3, at least on occasion. We'll have to wait until next year to see if we move in that direction.

The way it should be actually characterized is: We have a turned a corner (and IMO, a couple of corners this year as I have said multiple times).

We have not, as you accurately point out, turned THE corner.

That said, this is not a dead count bounce either. A lot of progress has been made and that shouldn't be discounted.

44cuse

well we averaged 5.66 wins in the first three year rolling period and 6.83 wins in the next 3 year rolling period (giving .5 win for the bowl since it hasnt been played)

i would say that is momentum... just a matter of what periods you like to use

well we averaged 5.66 wins in the first three year rolling period and 6.83 wins in the next 3 year rolling period (giving .5 win for the bowl since it hasnt been played)

i would say that is momentum... just a matter of what periods you like to use

It takes time to get back when you were as horrible as we were. Would we all like more? Yes. Were there missed opportunities this year? Yes. But IMO, the progress outweighs those (unfortunate) instances.

What I hate is how long it takes for a program like ours to get back. ND could be playing for the NC if they win tonight. UCLA is way better. Look at what Stanford has done in the last ten years.

Obviously none of them were as bad as we were at the bottom (and UCLA is only one part of one season into being better), but I still wish we didn't have the challenges we do.

And I'll state it again: our facilities were just about the worst in college football. One particular coach I know said they were the worst he had ever seen.

44cuse

There will be ups and downs but IMO there is enough in place where it's time to enjoy the ride. That's all I ask for. That and a full Dome.

There will be ups and downs but IMO there is enough in place where it's time to enjoy the ride. That's all I ask for. That and a full Dome.

Somebody (can't recall who or I would give them credit) said earlier today that the real mark is that watching is fun again. Add to that the fact that we are competitive again (and signs pointing to getting better) and its heading in the right direction.

44cuse

Somebody (can't recall who or I would give them credit) said earlier today that the real mark is that watching is fun again. Add to that the fact that we are competitive again (and signs pointing to getting better) and its heading in the right direction.

44cuse
For me the nicest thing this year is having an offense that can actually score. For years if we were down 10-0 it was game over

For me the nicest thing this year is having an offense that can actually score. For years if we were down 10-0 it was game over

Yep. Add that to the list as well. Good point.

44cuse

44cuse

100% down with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom