RE: Court Storming... | Syracusefan.com

RE: Court Storming...

QManCuse

Walk On
Exactly when did court storming become something that has a protocol that must be adhered to or run the risk of ridicule on national tv, or on opponents message boards? (e.g. The Bonehead) How absolutely ridiculous!! Court stormings are more a product of young student's hormones running wild instead of a well thought out process that has established criteria. The reason they don't have these potential events at schools like UConn, for example, one of our biggest critics, is that unlike the Dome, their high school gym has little or no energy. Attempting to watch an AAC game on television, with the stands less than half full, lousy teams, and absolutely no excitement is a chore in itself. The dome, with it's huge crowds, unbelievable atmosphere, and exciting games, works these kids into a frenzy. When we win unexpectedly, they go nuts. Very simple!! Why do they have to follow a script with a list of rules as to when it's acceptable? ONE RULE: IF IT FEELS GOOD, DO IT!!!

its our new thing

the next next dome will have court storming teleporters next to the anti-grav Dino ribs stand

It's a commentary on how sophisticated the fans are.

If Duke fans were to storm the court after a 20 point win over Wofford, one might say their fans were relatively unsophisticated.

Storming the court means that this win was a big win and important.

Critics can then judge whether the win really was important and draw inferences about the sophistication of the fans. As in "They stormed the court after beating Le Mayne. What a bunch of rubes."

It's a way for insecure nerd fans to try to get ammo for their "my favorite team is better than your favorite team" nerd Internet arguments.

hey break a losing streak. set a record. clinch a title. beat #1 or your arch nemesis at the buzzer. ok. beat a team that's just ranked higher. lame.

(especially 3 straight games . yawn.i like birthday cake. like once a year. the third slice at one sitting gets a bit cloying.)

Last edited:
It's a terrible and boring thing when college kids have fun.
well your statement implies that you're cool storming after a 30 point win over colgate. evidently you set no parameters. it's all good.

well your statement implies that you're cool storming after a 30 point win over colgate. evidently you set no parameters. it's all good.
Exactly true. I just don't care what a bunch of college kids do at a game for fun ( as long as it doesn't hurt anyone). I want the place filled with 18-22 year old's having fun. I wish we did it when I was at Syracuse.

well then you can prepare to be crushed here, there and everywhere (to quote the fab4) for the over exuberance. and remember each time makes it less special , less memorable . like birthday cake every day.

Let's see - we stormed the court for a 1000th victory for our legendary head coach against a top 10 at the time team, for a 3 at the buzzer against Duke in an epic game, and fine - against FSU when they were top 10 and looked like their football team and we were a basket full of being a mess.

Lighten up.

well there's no absolute right or wrong here . it's a matter of opinion and taste . and i happen to like mine better than yours. i set my goalposts.
what's yours ? ( and remember to factor in that there are also safety issues at play and matters of respect for the opponent.) so enlighten me.

(and that again makes 3 straight games with a court storming) aren't we special.

Last edited:
well there's no absolute right or wrong here . it's a matter of opinion and taste . and i happen to like mine better than yours. i set my goalposts.
what's yours ? ( and remember to factor in that there are also safety issues at play and matters of respect for the opponent.) enlighten me.

(and that again makes 3 straight games with a court storming) aren't we special.

You are officially on my ignore list. Opinion is fine. Placing your view on a pedestal as the enlightened and rational one and then challenging others to do the same. Please... you are the worst poster on these boards.

Last edited:
what's yours ? ( and remember to factor in that there are also safety issues at play and matters of respect for the opponent.) enlighten me.

Great snark. College kids having fun. Oh the horror. And for what other boards or fans think, who cares?

Well, by the standards set:
1. We snapped a losing streak.
2. We broke a record. JB won the only game in college basketball history where both coaches have >1000 wins.
3. Beat arch nemesis or #1 at buzzer. We met the buzzer criteria (something that happens about once per decade at home), we didn't get arch nemesis or #1 but we got substantial rival and Top 10. We also got a critical season make or break win.

So with all that I think your criteria says this was a good storming.

I don't know why people hate on court storming. It's kinda one of things where it's just in the moment and it happens! Has to be a close buzzer beater game, the adrenaline pumping with all the fans. People who hate on it are usually just jealous their team lost.

In my youth and beyond I used to go to Big 5 games at The Palestra in Philly.

Those crowds were filled with basketball crazies. They would know all the informal rules and etiquette around court storming.

The SU student body is way different. Let them storm the court all they want. I'm glad they show up at the games.

how quaint. and i bet you buy your wife a bracelet to celebrate the 3.7 month anniversary. as i said , matter of taste and preference.

but do expect to take some sh###t elsewhere when it happens every game. as we here certainly would mock others likewise.

Last edited:
its our new thing

the next next dome will have court storming teleporters next to the anti-grav Dino ribs stand

Wt*? Can you share some of whatever inspired that with me?!?

In my youth and beyond I used to go to Big 5 games at The Palestra in Philly.

Those crowds were filled with basketball crazies. They would know all the informal rules and etiquette around court storming.

The SU student body is way different. Let them storm the court all they want. I'm glad they show up at the games.

Townie is correct, and in a kind manner is saying we can't hold that sorry lot to the same standards as other fans. For weekend games, we can be grateful they are even out of bed, unlike some of their comrades. After reading the article from the guy who is taking credit for the Gerry overrated thing, we also can be thankful theyre not rooting for the other team. Some of you folks just insist on setting a high bar for the students, though, and youre going to be disappointed.

Great snark. College kids having fun. Oh the horror. And for what other boards or fans think, who cares?

Youve been around long enough to remember how much some of these guys enjoyed getting boned over at the Boneyard, and would go on and on about it, even have threads if I recall correctly. I never quite understood it myself, but maybe one day some of them will come forward and explain the obsession.

(Ive probably now just offended the last handful of my fans, but it's the truth)