Re-evulating the guantlet after 4 games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Re-evulating the guantlet after 4 games

.Wagner should be a win and hopefully developmental players get some important real game time and the starters can watch and cheer them on. What worries me is Syracuse under Dino Babers has not been good after a bye week. NC State will come to play and hopefully Syracuse post bye will not be sluggish, penalty and mistake prone. That is one tendency that I hope Babers fixes. I still get nauseated thinking about Shafer and his stogie. I'm not going to get too far ahead and will take it one game at a time with this team. My only hope is that his bye week blues/blunders go bye bye. Go Orange!!!!!!!

.Wagner should be a win and hopefully developmental players get some important real game time and the starters can watch and cheer them on. What worries me is Syracuse under Dino Babers has not been good after a bye week. NC State will come to play and hopefully Syracuse post bye will not be sluggish, penalty and mistake prone. That is one tendency that I hope Babers fixes. I still get nauseated thinking about Shafer and his stogie. I'm not going to get too far ahead and will take it one game at a time with this team. My only hope is that his bye week blues/blunders go bye bye. Go Orange!!

SU is definitely beating Wagner. The overall issue is besides 2018 SU hasn't just been bad after the bye they've been bad overall in the last quarter of the schedule. This year's end of schedule is daunting and were looking at injuries to positions we really couldn't afford to have season enders to ie O-line and WR. Assuming the season enders eventually slow ( they have to) SU should be in every game but with those opponents SU could play relatively well and still struggle in the W/L record.

The other elephant in the room is that SU's gotten I don't want to say breaks but benefits from calls or decisions that they don't normally get. Despite Anae and Beck being onboard, clock management was horrific last week and probably costs us against Wake, Clemson, NC State or ND or FSU. That stuff has to get cleaned up.
I'm too lazy to look this up but I remember when they got hired they were supposed to take that part of the game away from Dino, who makes Hackett at Denver look like a genius.

Injuries affect ALL teams.

Every year it's the same deal. In year 7 of Dino, there are absolutely no excuses IMO. Also, in my opinion, the injuries to Elmore and Jones are not insurmountable to overcome in any way, shape or form. Elmore missed a ton of game last year, 8 I believe. He went down in game one this year, therefore who the heck knows what was lost from a pure tangible productivity standpoint. So, two years now of zilch from him, just a bunch of pure hype in my view.

Jones, may have perhaps been coming on a bit, however, when you look at the facts (actual numbers/lost production, etc.) this shouldn't be difficult to overcome as well.

No doubt, IMO, it appears the biggest losses to date are on D. Obviously, Thompson going down looms even larger now that Lockett is lost for the year too. Thompson was solid against the run, and now with Lockett down and out, it appears this will be our largest weakness moving forward, the capacity to stop the run, and consistently in that.

Moreover, that falls straight back in Dino's lap relative to building an P5 roster, along with adequate depth to endure the game of attrition that is the sport of football. Especially, in year 7.

Again, no excuses!
I agree, all teams have injuries in football. The good teams have depth and overcome them. I agree that Rhino and Jones while those are significant, they are not devastating losses. I also think the depth is decent behind Stefon. Lockett is devastating because we are thin on the DL. Injuries cannot be an excuse. Great post orangecuse

Hey if my expectations are rock bottom that just means I’ll be ecstatic when a 6-6 Syracuse team gets that invite to the Mayonaise Bowl
sick cringe GIF

I agree, all teams have injuries in football. The good teams have depth and overcome them. I agree that Rhino and Jones while those are significant, they are not devastating losses. I also think the depth is decent behind Stefon. Lockett is devastating because we are thin on the DL. Injuries cannot be an excuse. Great post orangecuse
If injuries can’t be an excuse, expectations should be realistic or you will never be happy.

I am ready to believe 2 things at this point:

1. The offense under Anae will be ready to perform after the bye. He will add a few wrinkles, GS will tighter up his game, and they will be ready to go. This, in turn, results in better time of possession than we have had in the past which leads to:

2. A somewhat damaged defense that is not burdened by 3 and outs all game which allows them to play well for the entire game.

I remain hopeful.

Last edited:
If injuries can’t be an excuse, expectations should be realistic or you will never

If injuries can’t be an excuse, expectations should be realistic or you will never be happy.
I am happy if we get to 6, anything else is a bonus. This is a tough schedule. We've got to stop using injuries as an excuse, get better players to back up our starters is all I'm saying.

if we can avoid more damaging season ending injuries and figure out the OL situation, I think 8 or 9 wins is what we are looking at.
Season ending injuries at home: 4
Season ending injuries away: 0

It’s that daggum dome field turf!

These next 6 games are difficult, but with half at home I think the expected bottom should be 2-4 record. If we only win 1 game that will be a disappointment.

I would put the games at...

NC State 44%
Clemson 33%
Notre Dame 55%
Pitt 33%
FSU 55% (I still don't have a read on them yet)
Wake 44%

We also need that elusive 3rd ACC W (including ND) in a season. Dino has only done it one time.

2016 2-7
2017 2-6
2018 6-3
2019 2-6
2020 1-9
2021 2-6

Dino's record vs those 6 teams...

NC State (1-5) lost last 3 2018 only W
Clemson (1-5) lost last 4
Notre Dame (0-3)
Pitt (1-5) lost last 4
FSU (1-5) lost last 3 2018 only W
Wake (3-3)

Outside of Wake he is 4-23 with zero wins since 2018.

Last edited:
We have our third P5 win already. Us and FSU are the only undefeated teams that have that right now.

Season ending injuries at home: 4
Season ending injuries away: 0

It’s that daggum dome field turf!

How many season ending injuries at our home do our opponents have?

Injuries affect ALL teams.

Every year it's the same deal. In year 7 of Dino, there are absolutely no excuses IMO. Also, in my opinion, the injuries to Elmore and Jones are not insurmountable to overcome in any way, shape or form. Elmore missed a ton of game last year, 8 I believe. He went down in game one this year, therefore who the heck knows what was lost from a pure tangible productivity standpoint. So, two years now of zilch from him, just a bunch of pure hype in my view.

Jones, may have perhaps been coming on a bit, however, when you look at the facts (actual numbers/lost production, etc.) this shouldn't be difficult to overcome as well.

No doubt, IMO, it appears the biggest losses to date are on D. Obviously, Thompson going down looms even larger now that Lockett is lost for the year too. Thompson was solid against the run, and now with Lockett down and out, it appears this will be our largest weakness moving forward, the capacity to stop the run, and consistently in that.

Moreover, that falls straight back in Dino's lap relative to building an P5 roster, along with adequate depth to endure the game of attrition that is the sport of football. Especially, in year 7.

Again, no excuses!
Of course all teams have injuries. It just affects teams with stocked rosters less than middle of the pack teams. So how far SU can rise is directly related to a number of factors - including injuries. How much of that can SU overcome. Time will tell.

I do t know what “No excuses” means.

I predict:

NcST -L
Clemson -L
ND- W!
Pitt-W! (We’re due for a w vs them)
FSU -L
Wake -L
BC- L (our annual What?! Loss)

7-5 and a trip to the Pinstripe bowl.

We need 2 out of ND FSU and Ncs at home.
Need 1 on the road to get to 8.

5-0
My wins are NCS ND BC 8 win season. 9 w bowl

I think Clemson and Wake are going to take us to the woodshed. Clemson offense looks a lot better this year and Wake is just a very good team all the way around. Their offense is tough to defend I think we go 2-2 versus NC St/ND/Pitt/FSU. Beat BC 8-4.

Dino really needs to continue to develop more depth. The injuries are always going to happen, it's part of the game and we just can't seem to deal with it as well as other programs.

I think Clemson and Wake are going to take us to the woodshed. Clemson offense looks a lot better this year and Wake is just a very good team all the way around. Their offense is tough to defend I think we go 2-2 versus NC St/ND/Pitt/FSU. Beat BC 8-4.

Dino really needs to continue to develop more depth. The injuries are always going to happen, it's part of the game and we just can't seem to deal with it as well as other programs.

We seem to be better on the depth thing. To the naked eye even though some guys have dropped for the season or games or whatever the backups that we've plugged in have been basically fine. Unlike previous years when someone would go down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom