Re: James Southerland | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Re: James Southerland

James should be drooling about facing EMU's zone tonight with 5-11 and 6-3 guards.

I meant James is more of a stretch 4 at the college level.

Here's am interesting question.

What's the longest miss streak James will have this season from 3?

His shot looks so good and his shot selection has been good its hard to envision him missing over and over again. I'll say 5 is his longest.

Here's am interesting question.

What's the longest miss streak James will have this season from 3?

His shot looks so good and his shot selection has been good its hard to envision him missing over and over again. I'll say 5 is his longest.

This will be the big difference between James this year and last. He was never given the opportunity to play through a shooting slump. He is very steaky and can catch fire like he did against Arkansas. I am curious to see if he can hit a game winning 3 after going 1-7 in the rest of the game. He should have a long enough leash to work through a few minor shooting slumps this year.

So what has James improved on from previous years to the breakout that he could be this season? I'm curious to hear opinions from people that are way better at breaking down basketball players than I am.

He's always been a streaky shooter, but has he improved his defense so that he's now finally playing enough minutes to get into the flow of the offensive game?

The only thing I can truly see that has "improved" this year is his confidence, some on here say he doesn't play good defense, I actually think he plays really good D, but I don't proclaim to be a basketball guru. If that dude had any resemblance of a good handle and the ability to dribble drive he would be scary.

The only thing I can truly see that has "improved" this year is his confidence, some on here say he doesn't play good defense, I actually think he plays really good D, but I don't proclaim to be a basketball guru. If that dude had any resemblance of a good handle and the ability to dribble drive he would be scary.
mid season last year, Luke Winn did an analysis of the Syracuse defense over a fairly lengthy period - I think it was 12 to 15 games, IIRC. He used advanced statistical metrics and found that James & Kris were essentially tied as the best defensive frontcourt players. And, IMO, James got even better on the defensive end as the season went along. By the end of the year, he was a difference maker on the defensive end.

mid season last year, Luke Winn did an analysis of the Syracuse defense over a fairly lengthy period - I think it was 12 to 15 games, IIRC. He used advanced statistical metrics and found that James & Kris were essentially tied as the best defensive frontcourt players. And, IMO, James got even better on the defensive end as the season went along. By the end of the year, he was a difference maker on the defensive end.

That's a good reminder for all those who continue to claim Southy was and is a one dimensional jumpshooter, as well as those who contend that Joseph was a worthless piece on a 34-3 team.

I can totally buy it with Southerland. His arms are so long and he can jump so high that it's hard for him not to be a positive defensive player, IMO.

I can totally buy it with Southerland. His arms are so long and he can jump so high that it's hard for him not to be a positive defensive player, IMO.
I particularly like he when he covers the inbound on the press. He jumps around like a madman and the inbounder almost always looks panicked. Pretty funny.

So what has James improved on from previous years to the breakout that he could be this season? I'm curious to hear opinions from people that are way better at breaking down basketball players than I am.

He's always been a streaky shooter, but has he improved his defense so that he's now finally playing enough minutes to get into the flow of the offensive game?
I think it is just confidence. As noted elsewhere, his defense had already greatly improved last year. The big thing that held him back is that he is a pure 3, and he had Kris Joseph ahead of him. JB is loyal to his seniors to begin with, and Kris Joseph was a very good player (even if he mildly disappointed those of us who thought he was going to be a great one).

This year, he knows he has a key role on the team, and that JB has given him a complete green light to shoot. That does wonders for the confidence. Now, I am sure that he is going to have a few games where he goes 0-5 or 1-7 from deep, but I think the confidence train has left the station, and we are going to see a magical year from Dirty.

I'm very interested to see how James is tonight. He can act clownish and very animated at times and I'm not sure he realizes just how great a player he can be. His consistency will have a great bearing on the success of the team as we move forward this year. With his performance the other night there will be focus placed on defending against him by teams we play. It will be interesting how he handles the spotlight which is currently shining in his direction. I recall reading an article about him which chronicled his high school career and how his coach recognized his special talent and potential. His coach tried to impress James with the fact that his ability was limitless and that he was just tapping the surface of what he had to offer.

As a senior he is in a situation in which he can provide leadership. That leadership coupled with his skills could be a component in making this team really special. I've really enjoyed watching him since he arrived and I've always had the feeling that, "one of these games" ...

I think he is going to really put up some special numbers this year and I can't wait to watch it happen.

I think it is just confidence. As noted elsewhere, his defense had already greatly improved last year. The big thing that held him back is that he is a pure 3, and he had Kris Joseph ahead of him. JB is loyal to his seniors to begin with, and Kris Joseph was a very good player (even if he mildly disappointed those of us who thought he was going to be a great one).

This year, he knows he has a key role on the team, and that JB has given him a complete green light to shoot. That does wonders for the confidence. Now, I am sure that he is going to have a few games where he goes 0-5 or 1-7 from deep, but I think the confidence train has left the station, and we are going to see a magical year from Dirty.

For the reasons you state, I get the feeling Southy will be able to sustain his early hot shooting performance better than last season. Strange as it sounds, it almost seems he's not getting enough attention for his outstanding play because so much of the spotlight is being shined upon MCW.

Still, his numbers to date are so outrageously good they almost have to trend downward soon. 61.8 FG%, 54.5 3ptFG%, 78.2 eFG% and 79.1 TS% are not sustainable over the course of the season. I trust you'll be ready to defend his honor when he has the inevitable off shooting nights. ;)

For the reasons you state, I get the feeling Southy will be able to sustain his early hot shooting performance better than last season. Strange as it sounds, it almost seems he's not getting enough attention for his outstanding play because so much of the spotlight is being shined upon MCW.

Still, his numbers to date are so outrageously good they almost have to trend downward soon. 61.8 FG%, 54.5 3ptFG%, 78.2 eFG% and 79.1 TS% are not sustainable over the course of the season. I trust you'll be ready to defend his honor when he has the inevitable off shooting nights. ;)

Prescient.

Ah well. As you said, bound to happen soon. He'll bounce back with a good one on Thursday night.

You had to like seeing him put it on the floor a couple times and hit some mid range looks. Love some of the subtle developments in his game this year.

You had to like seeing him put it on the floor a couple times and hit some mid range looks. Love some of the subtle developments in his game this year.

Loved it. Very surprised the last one didn't drop.

I wish he would take more twos . . . and I think he will, as he gets pressured on the perimeter. I'd like to see him receive the ball at the free throw line more often.

Prescient.

Ah well. As you said, bound to happen soon. He'll bounce back with a good one on Thursday night.
It's like watching a really good hitter get locked in and hit .600 for a few weeks; you marvel at what you're seeing, but know it has to end eventually. He'll be fine.

It's like watching a really good hitter get locked in and hit .600 for a few weeks; you marvel at what you're seeing, but know it has to end eventually. He'll be fine.

Memories of David Wright hitting .400 in May...

I will be delighted if he shoots 40% from three and 55% from two . . . I think he has the potential to top both of those numbers, but he is going to get a lot of defensive attention.

I think he will make a run at McNamara's record for threes made in a single season (107), and maybe even a run at Matt Roe's season percentage mark from three (.474, which is where he sits right now).

I think he will make a run at McNamara's record for threes made in a single season (107), and maybe even a run at Matt Roe's season percentage mark from three (.474, which is where he sits right now).

I don't think he can do both. If he makes 107 3's, I doubt he shoots them at that high of a %. Of course if he does then he might be a first team AA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom