RE: Playing home games in the Meadowlands | Syracusefan.com

RE: Playing home games in the Meadowlands

QManCuse

Walk On
The crowd was at least 50% pro USC. Now, the next two years we have Ped St. and Notre Dame. Those will be at least 75% against us. Great home field advantage. What an atmosphere that would have been in the dome!

In my section...looking around in the stands and club area, I'd say it was not 50% but more like 40%. (I noticed more SU folks for sure) It would have been more in the dome ... but that's not a surprise. It's not like the decision to go to Metlife was based on the question "Which venue would draw the most fans?" It's about a long-term strategy to increase NYC area alumni support. This was the start of that, not the finish.

In my section...looking around in the stands and club area, I'd say it was not 50% but more like 40%. (I noticed more SU folks for sure) It would have been more in the dome ... but that's not a surprise. It's not like the decision to go to Metlife was based on the question "Which venue would draw the most fans?" It's about a long-term strategy to increase NYC area alumni support. This was the start of that, not the finish.

Exactly, with a bit more success on the field lets hope they can continue to build a bigger crowd, viable match ups with a better program than we have had recently with games like PSU and ND could draw very big crowds and hopefully more Syracuse people. I thought it was great there Saturday, maybe not a ton of SU support but those there were into it, unlike the curmudegon haven that the dome has become for the most part. Right now, I mainatin that any Syracuse football game played away from the dome is a much more enjoyable experience for me because the Cuse fans in attendance are happy to be there. USC game last year was a blast as well, west coast alumni were psyched to be at a game. 2nd row, stood the whole game and nobody behind me complained...

Haven't seen the game on tv yet, but was kind of hard to tell the percentage in person. From my spot in the corner, it looked like 55% (USC) 45% (SU). But I couldn't see any of the SU fans in the second tier, so. There also seemed to be quite a few pockets of USC on our side, and I didn't really see any SU fans on their side. :noidea:

If Met Life holds 80k+, and we bring about 20k, we're going to be seeing a much, much worse percentage than 50/50 for ND/PSU. They'll probably open up the third tier for those games.

Exactly, with a bit more success on the field lets hope they can continue to build a bigger crowd, viable match ups with a better program than we have had recently with games like PSU and ND could draw very big crowds and hopefully more Syracuse people. I thought it was great there Saturday, maybe not a ton of SU support but those there were into it, unlike the curmudegon haven that the dome has become for the most part. Right now, I mainatin that any Syracuse football game played away from the dome is a much more enjoyable experience for me because the Cuse fans in attendance are happy to be there. USC game last year was a blast as well, west coast alumni were psyched to be at a game. 2nd row, stood the whole game and nobody behind me complained...

I know you weren't there for NW but the crowd was loud as hell. You would have thought the place was sold out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I know you weren't there for NW but the crowd was loud as hell. You would have thought the place was sold out.

Yep, and the crowd for the West Virginia game last year sure as hell beats any crowd they would get at MetLife.

Right now, I mainatin that any Syracuse football game played away from the dome is a much more enjoyable experience for me because the Cuse fans in attendance are happy to be there.

Sad, but true, in my experience too. When people travel for a game, they are also more likely to stick around longer in the 2nd half. Can you imagine how many people would leave if they delayed the 2nd half for an hour in the Dome? There would be 1,000 people left, including recruits and family members.

Yep, that place still can rock, amazing even last year versus WVU and points of the Wake game which were pretty good crowd it was -ing loud as hell. Look forward to getting 45-46K in there for some big ACC games and just bring the place down. God that place gets loud, love it like that. I don't think there is anyone that doesn't want to get back to that point. Fun for sure

Sad, but true, in my experience too. When people travel for a game, they are also more likely to stick around longer in the 2nd half. Can you imagine how many people would leave if they delayed the 2nd half for an hour in the Dome? There would be 1,000 people left, including recruits and family members.

I agree... heading to USF and probably one more as well. It's just a much more enjoyable experience. Meet a lot of great people as well

Not true. SU sideline had more fans in it and SU also had more in the endzones. There were a lot of USC fans there no doubt but I would say it was 60-66% SU fans there.

Not true. SU sideline had more fans in it and SU also had more in the endzones. There were a lot of USC fans there no doubt but I would say it was 60-66% SU fans there.
From my viewpoint (section 202b - north end) it looked like 50%/50%. USC had a lot more people in the lower tier sideline than did SU (they actually filled the corner sections, whereas SU's corner sections were half full). my section and the ones on either side were 50:50. What I couldn't see was the lower level end zone sections below mine.

The crowd was at least 50% pro USC. Now, the next two years we have Ped St. and Notre Dame. Those will be at least 75% against us. Great home field advantage. What an atmosphere that would have been in the dome!
Next year's PSU game will not be a home game.

The 3-game series calls for a home game for each school and neutral site game at MetLife.

Next year's PSU game will not be a home game.

The 3-game series calls for a home game for each school and neutral site game at MetLife.

I also doubt that PSU will be the crowd favorite by next fall. They would have been pre-Sandusky. But after the Sandusky revelations and after the PSU product begins showing signs of maturing mediocrity -- combined with a much improved Syracuse squad -- I think we own the Meadowlands next year.

I also doubt that PSU will be the crowd favorite by next fall. They would have been pre-Sandusky. But after the Sandusky revelations and after the PSU product begins showing signs of maturing mediocrity -- combined with a much improved Syracuse squad -- I think we own the Meadowlands next year.
DreamOn.jpeg

It was a disappointing turn-out crowd-wise, but pretty much what was expected (though maybe more USC fans than I thought). That said, as xc84 said in this thread, this is the beginning, not the end. Anybody who spent the day tailgating, and then watched us play a helluva ball game against a great team, they'll be back next year.

The crowd will grow as (a) we win more, (b) we play teams we can actually beat, and (c) people experience how fun it can be to a play a game at an NFL stadium (see: tailgating experience). The tailgate itself was like nothing we can produce at Syracuse due to the nature of our parking set-up and everyone in our party had a great time despite the outcome.

Football games are there for our entertainment, and anybody who went to that game, and tailgated beforehand, could not help but have an enjoyable day.

They will bring their own fans. That's all that matters. Nobody is going to go all the way out to Met Life to cheer against PSU.

One side of the field was all USC but I was in the endzone and the SU fans kind of wrapped around into both end zones so I would call it 50/50. One thing in our favor were the electonic billboards that were all SU and all the crowd camera pans were all SU fans. And when the band started playing the song New York, New York I actually felt bad for USC!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom