RE: Reddish fumble return | Syracusefan.com

RE: Reddish fumble return

DNABB5

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
Just want to point out that he was not "caught" by that lineman, the guy had the angle.

Now Spirull should have blocked the dude or at least ran into his way but had STOPPED SPRINTING.

That return not being 6 is on #11, not #4.

Just want to point out that he was not "caught" by that lineman, the guy had the angle.

Now Spirull should have blocked the dude or at least ran into his way but had STOPPED SPRINTING.

I don't think anyone thought he was caught, like from behind. It just seemed like he stayed too close to him. There was plenty of room to still go outside, either way. The OL (who was a former TE) wasn't a complete 300 lb blob, he was certainly athletic, and made a good play. But he was like a soccer goalie for a penalty kick. He went all in on a dive, and just happened to guess right. It was a missed opportunity for 6.

I could not believe our DB could not make that OL miss him. Huge play in the game.

I agree the blocking can be questioned, but there was so much field open to either side that really it shouldnt have been that close. He could have easily went wider in either direction and its 6. He got way to close to the lineman which allowed him to make a diving tackle. He could have even slowed up a second and let I believe Eskridge get in front of him to lay a little block on the lineman. So yes, he does deserve some criticism because it was a massive turning point in the game. We could have went up 17-13 at a point when our offense was doing absolutely nothing and lucky to get a first down. Then to top it all off, right when the momentum was changing and we were at least going to come out of it 13-13 with our Defense making plays we miss the field goal and are still down 13-10. That touchdown changes the whole complexion of the game. On our ensuing possession after forcing a 3 and out still only down 13-10, we throw a pick in field goal territory which puts State up 16-10. Next possesion we get one first down and then take a big sack and punt for a big return (31 yards). Our defense then gave up the big 56 yard touchdown pass to make it 23-10. The Defense was absolutely gassed and down at this point. Obvioulsy its just an opinion, but I think not coming away with a touchdown and then at least three really frustrated the defense. Maybe if we were up at that point we would have been a little more conservative on offense and maybe Allen doesnt force the throw that was picked, or maybe we dont put him in a position to take that sack. Not saying that would have been the correct thing to do but maybe we put the pressure on Penn State going up 17-13 with our defense hitting them in the mouth and they force things and make those same mistakes. Players do dumb things when they are losing and trying to make a play. All im saying is maybe that changes the way Penn State plays, and puts a lot more pressure on a true freshman quarterback and he comes back with a pick. and all of a sudden were up 24-13.

Also, not to bash Reddish to much because I'm sure he's kicking himself but he was a playmaking all city wr in high school, so its not like he hasnt made kids look foolish in the past.

Hey, Brandon - Next time, run around the fat kid.

Oh Lord

Reddish's Fumble-Recovery-Can't-Juke-an-OLineman-For-the-Score Fail reminded me of the UC game last season where our cornerback dropped a gift-wrapped touchdown that would have probably put the nail in Cinci's coffin that day.

Would have won the Big East outright if not for that.

I forget who that was.

Hey, Brandon - Next time, run around him.

Oh Lord

Reddish's Fumble-Recovery-Can't-Juke-an-OLineman-For-the-Score Fail reminded me of the UC game last season where our cornerback dropped a gift-wrapped touchdown that would have probably put the nail in Cinci's coffin that day.

I forget who that was.

I see what you did there...

Keep in mind that while we could all see that there wasn't anyone near him from behind, he couldn't. For all we know, he was thinking if he made a cutback that he would get caught from behind.

We need to have the mindset of getting 6s anytime it is remotely possible. I know Reddish made a great play and put us in great position, but you have to have an Ed Reed mentality once you have the ball. Take it to the house, period.

A break here or there is the difference between 4 or 5 wins and 6 or 7 wins.

Keep in mind that while we could all see that there wasn't anyone near him from behind, he couldn't. For all we know, he was thinking if he made a cutback that he would get caught from behind.

I hear your point, but if you don't make the guy you see miss than then your basically in the same spot you would be if there was someone behind him and tackled him on his cut or juke. At that point, he is in the same spot as he would have been but he also would have had the chance to break it loose if someone wasn't behind him (which obviously there wasn't).

Great strip, great scoop up of the ball, great return of the ball UNTIL the fat kid got him. That's 3 positives to one negative. I'm not going to beat this kid up over that. He'll be a star by the end of the season and starting over Anderson very soon.

Heck, I was happy for the INT and the return. I'm a little surprised at the chatter about how he should have taken it to the house. Yeah, that would be great but he's on defense -- he did his job of getting Penn State off the field. Scoring is the offense's task and they did blessed little of that on Saturday without assistance from our D.

Heck, I was happy for the INT and the return. I'm a little surprised at the chatter about how he should have taken it to the house. Yeah, that would be great but he's on defense -- he did his job of getting Penn State off the field. Scoring is the offense's task and they did blessed little of that on Saturday without assistance from our D.

He had one 320 lb. lineman between him and the end zone. If he would have cut back inside he could have walked in. Instead he tried to outrun the closing angle and got tackled. Nice play by Reddish but he should have scored.

I 100% believe I could have gotten past that guy. I probably would have been tackled 30 yards prior to that guy. But that guy, I would have beaten.

True, and in a situation like that it's all happening so fast that who knows what can go through the head. But what the staff has to tell him is 'great hands, great play, and if you return it just beat the guy in front of you'. Because if you don't beat him, then getting caught from behind later is the least of your worries.

He didn't even need to cut back actually (which would have been to his left). He just needed to keep bouncing it out to the right, enough to get by that guy, who was slightly more than a pilon. The problem there might have been Spruill, or whichever SU player was on his right. Either he thought it was a PSU player, or he thought he would bump into his own guy.

That play isn't the end of the world, and looked a lot worse when the offense stalled and then Krautman missed that kick. But those are plays we're going to have to make.

Looking at the replay, I was thinking he could have slowed down just a bit to set up a block. He was surrounded by his own teammates. But he's a DB, not and RB so his instinct was to run as fast as he could. He ran right into the arms of the only guy who could have tackled him. But let's not be too hard on the kid., I was just glad we got the ball back. I was more angry at Krautman for missing the field goal.

Hey, Brandon - Next time, run around the fat kid.

Oh Lord

I forget who that was.

or Philip Thomas dropping the pick- 6 when we were up 13-3 on Rutgers in 2011. We wound up losing in OT, 16-19. Cost us a bowl game. What would those last five games have been like if there was no pressure to earn the bowl game? Probably each team is going to have a play like that about once a year.

If there is anyone to blame for that sequence, it's Krautman. I have absolutely zero, nada, zilch confidence in this guy. Anything he makes is just a bonus.

I thought it looked like Reddish outran his blockers. He had at least three guys behind him that, had he slowed up a little, could have cleared the guy out.

I thought it looked like Reddish outran his blockers. He had at least three guys behind him that, had he slowed up a little, could have cleared the guy out.

Exactly - and then cut back towards the center of the field - where he could walk in.

he did get caught from the side though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom