Re-watched Hubert Davis half rant... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Re-watched Hubert Davis half rant...

I've never understood why a team needs "a dude" who everyone knows is going to take the last shot. Sure, when that guy is Carmelo, that's one thing. But Lawrence Moten was that guy, and sometimes it worked in SU's favor, sometimes not. Do people think it wouldn't have been a good idea for someone other than GMac to have the ball in his hands at the end of a game now and then? Having options is better than the limitation of one dude, IMHO. JB can draw up a play for anyone on this squad. That's a plus.
You are right, of course. We have two guards (Dion and Scoop) who can make things happen with 10 seconds on the clock (many teams don't), and we have other guys who can take the shot if the defenses collapse to prevent Dion from driving. We have a big guy who has to draw attention. It is better than having just one guy -- unless that one guy is truly outstanding (Kemba or Carmelo). As JB has said, how many teams have that one guy?
But it is a fair question -- let's see SU prove it against a team that has earned a spot in the top 10 (Florida doesn't count).

I'd go so far as to say we've got THREE guards who can make things happen with 10 seconds on the clock. I think people undervalue Brandon sometimes, because he's so passive most of the time. He has the ability to create his own shot pretty well.

The point is, we clearly have a guy we can give the ball to and say "go get us a basket or get to the line" in Dion, which is, by definition, a go-to guy. But on top of that, we typically have four people on the floor at any given time who can create their own shot or clean up after a miss and get us a basket, or hit an open jumper (any combination of Dion, Scoop, Brandon, Kris, Dirty, CJ, and eventually MCW is going to get there). That should be more than good enough, and apparently it is since, oh yeah, we're 20-0 and ranked #1 in the nation.

But it is a fair question -- let's see SU prove it against a team that has earned a spot in the top 10 (Florida doesn't count).

This may or may not tell us as much as we think it will though. For the sake of argument, lets say Kentucky is absolutely the best team. If they played 30 games against other teams rated 2 - 5 in a mixed home/road/neutral schedule, what would their record be? 20-10? 18-12? Something in that range is maybe even high. So lets just say they win 60% of these games. When you have a sample size of 2 or 3, there is significant chance they lose all 3 of those games and are still the best team in the country.

Joseph is a "go to" guy - he allows the ball to "go to" the other team after they inevitably take the charge because he has already decided he's going to the lane no matter who gets there before him.

If KJo is taking the last shot, I want it to be after someone has already broken down their defender and drawn the D's attention and dishes it to him for the finish - not trying to create his own shot.

The only time I remember Joseph being the "go to guy" at the end of the game was at Georgetown 2 years ago. I think that one ended up being pretty good.

Wait until after the season and we start hearing the "worst team with no go to guy to ever win a national championship" comments.

third if he does watch the games can he name anyone that has stopped dion so far this year. Because i have watched every single game and i have yet to see one person slow him down.

Boeheim has. ;)

Can you name me one game that Dion has actually won with a late second shot?
We haven't needed anyone to do that yet. However we have seen enough of Dion and his ability to create momentum breaking baskets to believe he would be the "dude".

Sorry but Hubert Davis is right guys.
We have only took 388 foul shots in 20 games.
Thats a rock bottom 19.4 foul shots per game. Awfull!

Man, we really suck.

Who needs a go-to-guy when your winning games by an average of 20ppg and haven't trailed for a second all year in the 2nd half?

Wait until after the season and we start hearing the "worst team with no go to guy to ever win a national championship" comments.

Remember after 2003 and we were a one-man team? Doesn't matter, we'll still get this crap no matter what.

Need to win it all, enjoy the banner, and everyone else can go to hell.

Not sure I want KJo going all Kobe Joseph with 4 between the leg, behind the back spin moves into the lane where he dribbles off his knee, chases the ball down, does a hop skip, claps 5 times and shoots it.

If he stops spazzing out and just pulls up for a jumper or drives into the lane and gets fouled, then yes hes a go to guy.

Yep I'm laughing pretty hard, that was funny.

Depends. If SU has to create a shot, I agree. But if we're looking for an open shot, I'm comfortable with KJ, Scoop, BT, DW and JS all taking a 3 to win it. Or CJ to take a mid-range shot.

I agree All4SU. My unspoken assumption behind my comment was in an end of game situation where they are playing us tight with only a few seconds left. To me Dion is our best create-your-own-shot situation player which is often what you need
in an end-game chaotic situation. Scoop would be my second choice.

I give Dion top honors because of his handle, his strength, his shot-creating abilities, his will to win, his passing abilities and his free throw shooting. Scoop would be second in my book because he falls below Dion in several categories. But he is a better passer and clearly has more experience, so in my view would be a pretty good second option if Dion was doubled. Kris and BT would be my third and fourth options.

Davis's take is laughable. Cuse has been crushing teams by double digits all year and if it weren't for the mercy call offs at the end of some of the games the winning margin would have been in the 30 to 40 point range. This whole meme about Syracuse not having a go to guy or not being a good 1/2 court team is sheer, utter, claptrap nonesense. After the timeout when Cuse's lead was cut to 4 they came down and ran 2 half court sets that resulted in open 3's by KJ and Waiters. Not to mention the alley-oop slam dunks by Fab from Scoop. What's wrong with that 1/2 court offense?

Syracuse has been to this point, the undeniable best team in college basketball this season bar none. All this drivel about the best 5 and Kentucky's NBAers is just so tired and nauseating at this point. The biggest knee slapper is the claim by some of the noodnicks that " They haven't played anyone" while our SOS and RPI pretty much lead the nation. From that they move to the point that it's because all the metrics are deceptive. For the love of Jesus can't they just own up to the fact that we are kickin' everyones arse that laces up to play us and it's going to continue to be that way until we cut down the nets in Nawlins!

Truth be known, I just revel in listening to all that pabum spewwed out by the detractor haters. We are having the type of season that other teams only dream about and nuthin' anybody says is going to rain on my parade while we continue to knock 'em down dead all in a row. See ya all at the championship game! The haters are fools and Syracuse Rules!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom