read all night about offence, but what about defence? | Syracusefan.com

read all night about offence, but what about defence?

pulaski74

Scout Team
agreed the o is not good right now, but where is the defence the last few games? opponents simply make entry pass to the lane or dribble into the lane, then they either kick out to an ungaurded, three point shooter. or dish off to a player standing wide open under the basket for a simple layup or dunk. trapped vt player in the corner throws a lame duck some 40 ft. not an orange player in sight. most decent college shooters are going to make most of these unchallenged shot. my humble opinion, not a stat man, just observations from an old timer. go orange

Agreed--the defense has not been as effective over the last stretch of games. This is, in part, due to Grant's injury--our defensive rebounding suffers without his athleticism. Furthermore, he rotates so well from the weak-side to cover opponents when the ball hits the high post or when we trap on Fair's side of the floor.

However, our guards/wings have had trouble at times throughout the season preventing dribble penetration. That flaw has been exploited more as we have had less able bodies in the rotation.

That said, part of the problem on defense is the frustration with the offense. Players tend to let their defense slide when their offensive production declines. If we could hit a few shots (getting better looks in the process would help), our defensive effort would likely improve, increasing the chances of winning.

That said, part of the problem on defense is the frustration with the offense. Players tend to let their defense slide when their offensive production declines. If we could hit a few shots (getting better looks in the process would help), our defensive effort would likely improve, increasing the chances of winning.

While your other points were accurate this is the real issue right now. Remember late last season when we finally started hitting shots and stopped grinding so much on offense that was when the defense got energized and really took off.

agreed the o is not good right now, but where is the defence the last few games? opponents simply make entry pass to the lane or dribble into the lane, then they either kick out to an ungaurded, three point shooter. or dish off to a player standing wide open under the basket for a simple layup or dunk. trapped vt player in the corner throws a lame duck some 40 ft. not an orange player in sight. most decent college shooters are going to make most of these unchallenged shot. my humble opinion, not a stat man, just observations from an old timer. go orange

We probably were overly aggressive on defence on Tuesday, which led to many easy G Tech baskets. It was bad theatre.

Seems like there is a dark coloured vapour surrounding the team. Not just rattling my sabre on this; all rumours aside, I would like to see more rigour from this team.

Let's put our scepticism aside, do what we can to stop the carbonisation, cauterise all open wounds and enjoy some yoghourt. Stop vocalising, victimising, vulcanising and vulgarising; let's put all four tyres on the road, realise our full potential, plough through the mouldy soil and finish the season with pzazz, going mediaeval on this haemorrhaging bunch of Southern gipsies.

We probably were overly aggressive on defence on Tuesday, which led to many easy G Tech baskets. It was bad theatre.

Seems like there is a dark coloured vapour surrounding the team. Not just rattling my sabre on this; all rumours aside, I would like to see more rigour from this team.

Let's put our scepticism aside, do what we can to stop the carbonisation, cauterise all open wounds and enjoy some yoghourt. Stop vocalising, victimising, vulcanising and vulgarising; let's put all four tyres on the road, realise our full potential, plough through the mouldy soil and finish the season with pzazz, going mediaeval on this haemorrhaging bunch of Southern gipsies.
:rolling:

Or we could just go to a hockey game.

Defense has slipped but for the love of NEG; Georgia Tech had 59 freaking points with a minute left in the game.

Bravo, Tom. Bravo.

Cooney seems like he's been a half step behind everything defensively lately. I don't know if it's fatigue or other teams' ball movement is just a bit crisper lately(maybe, as they seem very comfortable and sure of themselves), but he seems slow and behind the play lately.

I sea what you did their.