Read this quote this morning from Hillsman... | Syracusefan.com

Read this quote this morning from Hillsman...

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
In regards to the ladies last night being upset by Miami:

"It comes down to something simple, right? You’ve got to be a leader, right?'' Hillsman said. "It’s time for me to be a leader. We’ve got to make some shots. We’ve got to get it fixed, and it’s my responsibility to get it fixed. I’ve got to make sure that we get clean looks. I’ve got to get our players better looks. We’ve got to get into better sets. We have good shooters. It’s my responsibility as the head coach of this team to figure it out and help them get easier shots.''

It made me think...would JB ever say such a thing after a loss in which our shooters struggled so much?

"It comes down to something simple, right? You’ve got to be a leader, right?'' Hillsman said. "It’s time for me to be a leader. We’ve got to make some shots. We’ve got to get it fixed, and it’s my responsibility to get it fixed. I’ve got to make sure that we get clean looks. I’ve got to get our players better looks. We’ve got to get into better sets. We have good shooters. It’s my responsibility as the head coach of this team to figure it out and help them get easier shots.''

It made me think...would JB ever say such a thing after a loss in which our shooters struggled so much?

Maybe the JB of 15 years ago, but not the JB of today.

It is good he is trying to take responsibility for his team but I find it highly disturbing that he is focusing completely on the offense.

The biggest problem with this team in on the defensive end. They are a really a really bad defensive team. Their 2-3 zone is horrific. Opposing players get open 3s and can drive to the basket and make layups with no one bothering to try and stop them.

Get these kids to play a little defense and encourage them to try and work it inside more on offense and they will finish the year in the top 10.

Well JB would say the part about making more shots. The rest, though, yeah. It’s part of why he has trouble relating to players. We point to his age but it’s always been like this. In any business the leader shouldn’t throw his employees under the bus.

Here we go again...<Sigh>

Gotta give you guys credit for at least one thing...you are relentless...

And 3, 2, 1...to watch yet another thread degenerate into a pi$$ing contest...

Congratulations for your contribution to turning this board into a complete sh!thole...

I feel like he's said something similar once already this year. I remember because it was very surprising to hear. Now I'm going to have to try and remember what game this was after.

Well JB would say the part about making more shots. The rest, though, yeah. It’s part of why he has trouble relating to players. We point to his age but it’s always been like this. In any business the leader shouldn’t throw his employees under the bus.

How do you know he doesn’t relate to players?

Congratulations for your contribution to turning this board into a complete sh!thole...

That's your reply? And you complain about his contribution to the board?

The irony...

Not posting to pile on to JB, but I do feel like this statement is exactly the problem that the men’s offense has had. In the last couple games I have seen us do a little bit better in giving the guys more makeable shots (and our 3 point FG% shows it), so hopefully this is improving and if it is I think we have a great outlook for the rest of the season.

Well hillsman is kinda of new at this as opposed to Hall of Farmer JB with over a 1,000 wins 5 Final Fours and a National Championship. Different styles for different folks. Jimmy’s approach works perfectly fine.

Cuse!

To paraphrase years and years of JB press conferences, he would say something like "This game is hard if you are not making shots." Or, "We had open looks, we just didn't knock them down." The part about leadership he has never injected, to my knowledge, but then again there could never be a question for the men's program as to who the leader is, who's job it is to get the team better looks. Is Q having an identity crisis, or just using coach speak to shield his players from criticism after a bad night? I suspect the latter, and I'm not sure why it's necessary to compare the 2 coaches styles in this case.

Wow!

Yeah, as another advised, go look yourself in the mirror Pisan. And, for your penance, you can say 10 Our Father's and 10 Hail Mary's to make yourself believe all is well in your world. You will be forgiven...and when you sin again, just wash, rinse & repeat as your ritual.

Last edited:
Maybe the JB of 15 years ago, but not the JB of today.

The only time I can recall JB coming out in recent memory is after that debacle in the Dome against St. John's right before Christmas a couple three years ago where we lost by 30 to a horrid Johnnies team. He didn't come out initially with any specifics, but I remember vividly saying immediately in his presser how "this loss is completely on me."

The only time I can recall JB coming out in recent memory is after that debacle in the Dome against St. John's right before Christmas a couple three years ago where we lost by 30 to a horrid Johnnies team. He didn't come out initially with any specifics, but I remember vividly saying immediately in his presser how "this loss is completely on me."

I'm nearly certain he said something extremely similar early this year as well.

Wow!

Yeah, as another advised, go look yourself in the mirror Pisan. And, for your penance, you can say 10 Our Father's and 10 Hail Mary's to make yourself believe all in well in your world. You will be forgiven...and when you sin again, just wash, rinse & repeat as your ritual.
3FC0068E-476D-473B-8CFC-6F2E84153646.gif

Some of these threads are starting to get weird.

All due respect to coach Hillsman, but JB is NOT coach Hillsman. JB has developed his own methods and tactics of diagnosing his team, and relating to the media, as has coach Hillsman. What one coach says has zero relation to what another coach says, and no meaningful comparison can be made.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that if you have a coach who is failing miserably, there's nothing wrong with holding him up to the standard of other, more effective coaches. But what we have here is not that. These guys are BOTH pretty successful, and have been over the long term. Trying to compare the methods they use to manage their teams seems unhelpful.

Hey kids, who's up for a game of six degrees of JB sucks and the game has passed him by?

Ask Roberson

This place can really be skitzo at times. And, it's certainly interesting for sure how some are quick in their presumptions, go on attack mode, etc. vs. simply participating in engaging dialog. I saw the quote this morning, thought it was admirable of Hillsman and asked the question. I wasn't making comparisons about methods, or how JB should be more like this, etc. Had I, I would've injected that JB should do this more, or implement this style, etc., but I didn't. I did not have any ulterior motives, I have been an SU/JB fan for over 4 decades. Unreal.

Last edited:
I liked his other comments better - about how it's a good thing that teams celebrate beating us. That is a good sign and I think his line was "we'll be fine".

This place can really be skitzo at times. And, it's certainly interesting for sure how some are quick in their presumptions, go on attack mode, etc. vs. simply participating in engaging dialog. I saw the quote this morning, thought it was admirable of Hillsman and asked the question. I wasn't making comparisons about methods, or how JB should be more like this, etc. Had I, I would've injected that JB should do this more, or implement this style, etc., but I didn't. I did not have any ulterior motives, I have been an SU/JB fan for over 4 decades. Unreal.

You injected JBs name in the last part wondering if he’d ever do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom