Reading the tea leaves re: WR recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Reading the tea leaves re: WR recruiting

OttoinGrotto

2023-24 Iggy Award Most 3 Pointers Made
OK, so the former staff wasn't planning on taking a wideout this class. And why would they? Here's what was already going to be on the roster:

Flemming SR

Clark SR
Kobena JR
Foster JR
West JR
Hale SO
Funderburke SO
Broyld? SO
Cornelius RF
Lewis RF

Broyld might not belong, but either way, 9's a pretty good sized group.

McDonald is an ace though and snags us a couple of 3 star wideouts. It appears as though they were at least some priority.

So... is Foster maybe not coming back from injury? Are some guys transferring out or leaving the team? Did McDonald consider the current group insufficient for his plans on offense?

Speed.
Sure.

So did Hackett consider the speed our group had sufficient, and McDonald does not? Is this a case where due to McDonald's connections/magic we had the chance to upgrade talent at a position and just decided to take it?

I'm hoping it means McDonald is going to run more 4 wide sets and make the Dome the funnest show on field turf, but am curious as to the thoughts of others.

Sure.

So did Hackett consider the speed our group had sufficient, and McDonald does not? Is this a case where due to McDonald's connections/magic we had the chance to upgrade talent at a position and just decided to take it?

I'm hoping it means McDonald is going to run more 4 wide sets and make the Dome the funnest show on field turf, but am curious as to the thoughts of others.

I cannot speak to that, but I would think we will see some of that. And have Morris on the field for a few plays/game too.

OK, so the former staff wasn't planning on taking a wideout this class. And why would they? Here's what was already going to be on the roster:

Flemming SR
Kobena JR
Foster JR
West JR
Hale SO
Funderburke SO
Broyld? SO
Cornelius RF
Lewis RF

Broyld might not belong, but either way, 8's a pretty good sized group.

McDonald is an ace though and snags us a couple of 3 star wideouts. It appears as though they were at least some priority.

So... is Foster maybe not coming back from injury? Are some guys transferring out or leaving the team? Did McDonald consider the current group insufficient for his plans on offense?
Marrone liked big, tall NFL style receivers (Hale, Foster, Flemming, West). Maybe McDonald is looking for a different style of player for his offense. Perhaps the smaller, faster Shelby Hill, Marvin Harrison, Quinton Spotwood, Kevin Johnson types?

With a new OC there are bound to be changes even within a similar style. We had so many elements - West Coast, read option, pro there is room for MCD to add and subtract to suit his own style.
I am guessing that he will have to have simpler play book with new QB. Charlie may surprise us however. Will be interesting.

Marrone liked big, tall NFL style receivers (Hale, Foster, Flemming, West). Maybe McDonald is looking for a different style of player for his offense. Perhaps the smaller, faster Shelby Hill, Marvin Harrison, Quinton Spotwood, Kevin Johnson types?
That's a good thought.

I think that the current group is the most athletic we have had since the 90s. What they lack in expirence they make up for in talent. Not worried about this group at all. Cooper was a must take. Winfield was an athlete we couldn't turn down.

My friend played with Cornelius and has me convinced he's going to be a beast. Can't wait till he gets some play.

My friend played with Cornelius and has me convinced he's going to be a beast. Can't wait till he gets some play.
I think you're right. He's one of the more interesting guys on our roster.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

the answer is simple. McDonald was a WR coach. he had his hands on wide receivers and well regarded ones at that. If he had an easy addition to this class it was WR's who were rated well enough that they could both likely help and would boost our recruiting class ranking immediately thereby proving his value. I am not saying the current group couldn't get it done or the recent additions by McDonald can't get it done. I am saying that he had some guys who were well regarded stars wise who he could sway and he did. I hope they all pan out, the ones already here and the ones he added. But he added what he could short term for a few good reasons.

Flemming SR
Kobena JR
Foster JR
West JR
Hale SO
Funderburke SO
Broyld? SO
Cornelius RF
Lewis RF

Broyld might not belong, but either way, 8's a pretty good sized group.

Take away Broyld and you forgot Clark.

With a new OC there are bound to be changes even within a similar style. We had so many elements - West Coast, read option, pro there is room for MCD to add and subtract to suit his own style.
I am guessing that he will have to have simpler play book with new QB. Charlie may surprise us however. Will be interesting.

The approach this year was pretty simple.

The approach this year was pretty simple.
Unbelievably so. If they had tried it from the huddle it would have gone nowhere imo. It basically can't get simpler. It was the tempo and the pass/run balance that kept foes on their heels.

Unbelievably so. If they had tried it from the huddle it would have gone nowhere imo. It basically can't get simpler. It was the tempo and the pass/run balance that kept foes on their heels.

One word play calls and a handful of plays in the game plan per week. They looked like the Colts under Manning against Uconn they ran it so perfectly. The fact that Nassib could handle that is why he is a potential draft pick.

Maybe, but both Winfield (6'1") and Cooper (5'11") have decent size.

I have a feeling that the staff wants speed. Not sure how much faith they have in Kobena (hands) or Hale.

I think the big thing is the ability to separate. We have always seemed to struggle with good press coverage. With a new QB we need guys that can separate and that means quickness and good route running rather than pure speed. Does it not?

Yes -- prior relationships.

It is also a position that allows a newbie to have an early impact. We have numbers at WR, but only West is established; Kobena & Clark have shown they can help. The others are all about potential.

So we might have the McNugget package or Big Mac...either way if this offense can find a weakness vs the defense they are playing pass wise and take advantage weather it's tall and leap or short and fast, I'm all for it. We seem to have a bit of a hodge podge of sizes and I like that.