Real Quick thoughts on todays game against UNC | Syracusefan.com

Real Quick thoughts on todays game against UNC

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I think a lot of things that we talked about two weeks ago still apply to this game so I am not going to re-hash everything.

SU has never lost in the first round of the ACC tourney in their previous three appearances which is a positive going into today. To me a big X factor for tonight is who holds up better at the X Ben or Stephen Kelly. Kelly like Ben has been battling injuries most of the year and has faded in the second half of the games as Breschi much like Desko doesn't like to go to the backup FOGO. I don't think either coach is going to have a choice today if the temps are in the mid to upper 80s as both guys will be exhausted by the end of the third if there taking every draw. Wing play will also be huge as I expect a lot of 50/50 gbs. The SU wings had a pretty good game against UNC a few weeks ago and will need another one if were going to win.

Would like to see a bounce back game from the SU offense especially from the knowns ie Salcido, Mariano and Solomon. I expect UNC will double pole the midfield again and put the shorty on Evans this time versus Rehfuss. Would be nice to see the 2nd and 3rd line come through with some points to take some of the pressure off the first line guys. Would be a great game to get Lane back in the scoring column (its been awhile) and to see Dearth or O'Sullivan get a point or two.

Defensively I am curious to see how SU defends Carolina. SU changed their slide packages in the second half of the game against UNC after getting torched in the 2nd quarter. D got torched by Moore playing a zone last week I don't think we will be playing to much of that this week. Matchups seem pretty clear Firman on Goldstock, Bomberry on Cloutier, Cunnignham/Dipetro on Matthews and Fusco/Helmer on Timmy Kelly. Cannon and Cook each had two goals for UNC last time we played so will be interesting to see if we do anything different there. SSDMS will need to keep sticks on shooters hands especially on guys like Cannon and William Perry.

Would love to see Molloy really turn in an elite level performance like he did in this game a year ago. Hes been solid all year but hasn't really had that a All-American type of performance yet this year. This game would be a nice place to start. Ben is Ben just not sure which Ben will show up. Will it be the one who ran rough shot over Hobart, Cornell and UNC or the one who looked out of gas against Bingo? Varello should be in line to take at least 3-5 draws.

A loss here certainly isn't the end of the world but I would like to see us at least beat UNC as I believe that will lock up the #1 overall seed regardless of what happens on Sunday. UNC is a wounded and desperate team so I expect them to come out and through the kitchen sink at SU. This game got a little chippy a few weeks ago, will be interesting to see if emotions boil over for UNC.

Good stuff Jeremy, I fully expect UNC to come out guns blazing. If Cuse starts out slow it's about weathering the early run and settling down.

I'm very interested in seeing what Donohue has in store for the offense, knowing that Mariano and Salcido will both have the long poles. Does he immediately start Rehfuss or wait to see which attackman draws the other short stick. If Bomberry is in look for UNC to shut him off on the crease with the SSDM. I would like to see what defensive alignment UNC would play with Bomberry and Rehfuss on the field. Last time Rehfuss replaced Bomberry instead of Evans.

Good stuff Jeremy, I fully expect UNC to come out guns blazing. If Cuse starts out slow it's about weathering the early run and settling down.

I'm very interested in seeing what Donohue has in store for the offense, knowing that Mariano and Salcido will both have the long poles. Does he immediately start Rehfuss or wait to see which attackman draws the other short stick. If Bomberry is in look for UNC to shut him off on the crease with the SSDM. I would like to see what defensive alignment UNC would play with Bomberry and Rehfuss on the field. Last time Rehfuss replaced Bomberry instead of Evans.

I think SU will again replace Bomberry as he is to easily shut off by a SSDM where Evans can at least dodge and dump a pass. If UNC does that again I think SU would be wise to bump Bomberry to the 2nd mid line and let him get some run there. Will be interesting to see what Rehfuss does as UNC will be ready for him this time. He has looked good as a redshirt frosh but needs to develop more dodging moves outside of the one hand shovel shot and dodge to the cage. Would like to see him use the question mark, roll back, swim move etc etc and really throw some different moves at UNC. Might be a year away for him to be able to do that. As you noted tough call for Donahue on how to attack as I don't think Voigt is a big weapon in this game based on his lack of dodging ability. Might have to pick and screen a lot try and get Mariano and Salcido on a short stick via a switch. Mariano has been real quiet the last few weeks he could blow up today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom