Realistic Aztecs Fan | Syracusefan.com

Realistic Aztecs Fan

SDSU Aztecs

Walk On
Greetings from San Diego. I'm looking forward to the game on Friday. I've met quite a few Syracuse fans over the years and I've enjoyed chatting sports with them. I figured I'd provide a transparent perspective about the Aztecs in case anyone is interested, as I've been around the program for a very long time.

I'm sure you don't want a full break down of our roster, so I figured I'd go over what you might see from the Aztecs as a team. Our calling card under the Fisher / Dutcher era has always been our defense. We don't necessarily get a ton of steals, but we make it very hard for teams to get off good shots. We do have a rim protector and we switch really well on defense. When things are going well, our defense leads to a ton of offense. Our offense does get disjointed though. We have some good shooters, but most are streaky. We had really strong guard play last year, but this year's play has made me a little nervous as we approach the tournament. Although we don't have much height on the roster, we do have a bunch of guys who have length and play bigger than what they are listed. Not sure how we will handle the masterful Syracuse zone, but most teams don't until they play you guys.

In a normal year, we would typically be able to schedule stronger opponents, but it was too difficult this year. UCLA was probably our toughest non-conference opponent (and that's not saying much these days). BYU and Utah St. (three of our four losses) posed a challenge for us, as they both have huge centers with great passing ability out of the post. To be honest, there weren't too many challenges in conference, but there is a huge talent gap between the top few teams in the MWC and the rest of the league (pretty much every Aztec fan hates out conference). Some teams came to the table with unique game plans against us, by slowing the game down to a turtle's pace, which did work to some extent (Wyoming). Most of the time, it's the Air Forces of the world and makes it SUCH a yawner.

Hopefully both teams will display their athleticism and it will be an entertaining game. I actually think it's one of the more enticing games in the first round. If you look at our history, you would have to favor Syracuse in this game. The Aztecs have some great wins against prestigious programs over the years, but none came during the dance. We've played Gonzage three times in the last 10 or 11 years and we've won twice, including once on the road (Kawhi's team). We are one of the few teams that have knocked off Kansas at the Allen Fieldhouse and we typically beat up on Pac-12 programs on the road, at home or on neutral courts. All that said, the best programs we've beat in the tourney are...Oklahoma and St. John's. If we are able to beat you guys, it will be or first victory against a blue blood and the memories of losing to Arizona, Duke, Illinois, UCONN and others will go out the window. 6:40 tip on Friday is a perfect time for some tacos and IPA's. Cheers guys! Also, I see your football program making strides and it should be a force in the years to come.

Thanks for stopping by ... and thanks for the info. My only trip to San Diego was for the carrier game in 2012, and I enjoyed my visit.

And thanks for calling us a "blue blood," even though a few folks here will probably not agree with that.

Greetings from San Diego. I'm looking forward to the game on Friday. I've met quite a few Syracuse fans over the years and I've enjoyed chatting sports with them. I figured I'd provide a transparent perspective about the Aztecs in case anyone is interested, as I've been around the program for a very long time.

I'm sure you don't want a full break down of our roster, so I figured I'd go over what you might see from the Aztecs as a team. Our calling card under the Fisher / Dutcher era has always been our defense. We don't necessarily get a ton of steals, but we make it very hard for teams to get off good shots. We do have a rim protector and we switch really well on defense. When things are going well, our defense leads to a ton of offense. Our offense does get disjointed though. We have some good shooters, but most are streaky. We had really strong guard play last year, but this year's play has made me a little nervous as we approach the tournament. Although we don't have much height on the roster, we do have a bunch of guys who have length and play bigger than what they are listed. Not sure how we will handle the masterful Syracuse zone, but most teams don't until they play you guys.

In a normal year, we would typically be able to schedule stronger opponents, but it was too difficult this year. UCLA was probably our toughest non-conference opponent (and that's not saying much these days). BYU and Utah St. (three of our four losses) posed a challenge for us, as they both have huge centers with great passing ability out of the post. To be honest, there weren't too many challenges in conference, but there is a huge talent gap between the top few teams in the MWC and the rest of the league (pretty much every Aztec fan hates out conference). Some teams came to the table with unique game plans against us, by slowing the game down to a turtle's pace, which did work to some extent (Wyoming). Most of the time, it's the Air Forces of the world and makes it SUCH a yawner.

Hopefully both teams will display their athleticism and it will be an entertaining game. I actually think it's one of the more enticing games in the first round. If you look at our history, you would have to favor Syracuse in this game. The Aztecs have some great wins against prestigious programs over the years, but none came during the dance. We've played Gonzage three times in the last 10 or 11 years and we've won twice, including once on the road (Kawhi's team). We are one of the few teams that have knocked off Kansas at the Allen Fieldhouse and we typically beat up on Pac-12 programs on the road, at home or on neutral courts. All that said, the best programs we've beat in the tourney are...Oklahoma and St. John's. If we are able to beat you guys, it will be or first victory against a blue blood and the memories of losing to Arizona, Duke, Illinois, UCONN and others will go out the window. 6:40 tip on Friday is a perfect time for some tacos and IPA's. Cheers guys! Also, I see your football program making strides and it should be a force in the years to come.
Great post. Thanks for the insights!

Man between the nice posts from some SDSU fans and the recent quotes from the SDSU players talking about how much they watched and loved Syracuse, gonna be hard to root against you guys!!

I noticed one thing you mentioned...do interior big men who are good passers give your team particular trouble? Marek Dolezaj can be a pretty good passer...will be an interesting key to watch for.

Hoping for a good game...and I think it will be!

obviously, i want SU to win, but best of luck to you guys regardless of how things turn out.

when did Steve Fisher leave the program? i could have sworn he was still there.

obviously, i want SU to win, but best of luck to you guys regardless of how things turn out.

when did Steve Fisher leave the program? i could have sworn he was still there.
Retired after the 2016-17 season.

Thanks for stopping by ... and thanks for the info. My only trip to San Diego was for the carrier game in 2012, and I enjoyed my visit.

And thanks for calling us a "blue blood," even though a few folks here will probably not agree with that.
Wait, that's the only time you've ever been to San Diego?

Love classey people Far and few between. Thank you for your insight and good luck!

Will probably feel differently after the heat of the game but if we lost I feel like I’d be ok rooting for SDSU. Especially after the gut punch they got last year with essentially their best team ever getting the tournament snatched away from them like that. We know that feeling to a smaller degree with having great teams that get hamstrung right on the eve of the tournament.

Most important thing in this post is to fill us in on the IPA details... Amplifed Aleworks? Societe? Karl Strauss? Pizza Port? Alesmith?

Pizza Port has some excellent brews! Also, Pure Brewing is a new company with outstanding and really unique beers, it’s fantastic.

Regarding bball, Coach Dutcher took the defense first mentality from Fish when he retired, but added a bit of tempo along with better shooters, it’s been a nice and needed change TBH. Last years team was pure poetry on many nights, and I’m super sad those seniors didn’t have a chance to see how far they could take it. Elite 8 was a real possibility, and a Final 4 wasn’t out of the question. This years team isn’t as good, obviously, but they’re gritty, play hard, and play for each other. My gut says SDSU is primed for a March run, but like the OP mentioned, there have been some scoring droughts at times that make us look like an NIT team at best. I think playing in cozy Hinkle will Help the shooters on both teams, and what a cool opportunity from a sports history perspective! Truly can’t wait.

This is a matchup between two teams damn near 3000 miles apart with no common opponents this year, so we won’t know much til Friday, but I’ll pull for whoever wins to advance in the dance! Cheers everyone!

Appreciate the post. It is always great to get some insight from fans of the opposing team when we tend to be "strangers" to each other. If both teams play their A game it should be real interesting. I am thinking most folks offering opinions on Syracuse (non Syracuse fans) have little knowledge of what Jesse or Braswell can do for this team Kadary has had more opportunities to play so he may not be a total unknown. I hear that SDSU plays 9 or 10 players so they may not have any surprises.

Most important thing in this post is to fill us in on the IPA details... Amplifed Aleworks? Societe? Karl Strauss? Pizza Port? Alesmith?
Pizza Port, Alesmith and Societe are all really good breweries. Modern Times, Thorn St. Eppig, Hess and the Lost Abbey are some other go-to spots. Alpine Brewing Company was a San Diego cult classic and the beer Duet is essentially the San Diego version of Russian River Valley Brewing's beer Pliny the Elder.

Retired after the 2016-17 season.
Dutcher was Fisher's head assistant for 30+ years at Michigan and then at SDSU. Great guy. Was the coach in waiting for years and had many offers to take over other programs out West, but he stayed the course and waited for his turn. All SDSU fans are hoping he wants to stay in the sun, instead of returning to his Alma Mater (where his dad coached) Minnesota.

Thanks for sharing! looking forward to the game.

Was stationed at North Island for 4 years while in the Navy. Lot's of great memories of the City. At 19, San Diego had everything you could ask for, plus you could go to Tijuana. I once went to a reggae concert in the Aztec Amphitheatre, and I'll never forget that weed smoke set in the place like a cloud. Although I couldn't inhale, It's still the best concert that I don't remember lol!

The zone and match ups will be key. Our zone can be a monster if you haven't seen it and how your team adjusts will be an issue in itself, but the matchups will be huge. Our team is hitting it's stride at the right time and if we play our game, we can do a lot of things with a lot of pieces. Offensively, we have 3 or 4 guys that can go for 20 at any point and a couple others that can go between 10 or 15 as well. That being said, we sometimes go into these funks both offensively and defensively that are hard to explain. If our shots are falling we win, if they are not falling, the ball is not moving or the defense is not active, we will lose.

Another thing... we have a knack for letting someone on the other team have a career night, and while it doesn't always end up in a loss, it's just one of those things.

I'm picking us by 5, but I'm not sleeping on you guys.

We don't necessarily get a ton of steals, but we make it very hard for teams to get off good shots.
We’re one step ahead of your defense, our shot selection can be horrible. Thinking here of JG3, who I will call a chucker from the safety of my couch, and AG who is either en fuego or cold as ice.

That said we’ve had top ten offensive efficiency the last several games according to the Locked On podcast. So what do I know.

And god forbid we’re in a situation at end of game where we are up 15 with 3 minutes to go and try to take air out of ball. It’s invitation for you to close the gap and make it a 1pt game with 6 seconds left on clock

And god forbid we’re in a situation at end of game where we are up 15 with 3 minutes to go and try to take air out of ball. It’s invitation for you to close the gap and make it a 1pt game with 6 seconds left on clock
If we are we let any and every player roll the ball up the court put no one on the free throw line if we get fouled and leave your outside shooters wide open good looks. We promise that no matter how large our lead will be you can rest assured that the game will come down the last minute.

we would be sponsored by the manufacturer of Xanax.

Tournament experience counts for so much. We have some with Buddy and Marek. But I’m guessing SDSU has more. It will be an uphill battle for SU. To me it’s less about the zone, and more about rebounding and the bench play. Can we get Richmond playing in top form? Can Edwards spell Marek and contribute defense inside?

All this talk of good beer is not helping my motivation at all. Talking of good defense and offensive droughts makes it even worse. Here is to making it another couple days by doing a little bit of work, not being too far gone to enjoy the game and for a good offensive showing and fun game. Rock fights suck.

Pizza Port, Alesmith and Societe are all really good breweries. Modern Times, Thorn St. Eppig, Hess and the Lost Abbey are some other go-to spots. Alpine Brewing Company was a San Diego cult classic and the beer Duet is essentially the San Diego version of Russian River Valley Brewing's beer Pliny the Elder.
Is Pizza Port the one in Solano beach? If so I live that place. Straight out of central casting for Point Break

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom