Reality check | Syracusefan.com

Reality check

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
I think some here need a bit of a reality check. We lost our head coach and he took half of the staff with him. We lost our QB and LT to the G-men. We lost our two best WR's and our best TE. We lost our heart and soul safety and our best d-end. We implemented a new staff and a new QB that arrived on campus a month ago. Despite all of that we had a chance to win in the final drive of the game vs a team that we've only beaten once in the past 30+ years. Given all of those things stacked against us I'm actually okay with the result.

Program still lacks difference makers. Simple as that. It's the reason we didn't win the big east last year and the reason we didn't win today.

We have had and have very solid players. Unfortunately, we have yet to recruit a star that consistently wins us the close games. Look what Robinson did today for PSU.

Nassib was as close as we've had, end of 2012, he was lights out.

Program has not had that type of player since McNabb, debatedly Reyes. Until we find that difference maker we will continue to stay at 5-8 wins a year mark. With the difference being close games like the one we played today.

Program still lacks difference makers. Simple as that. It's the reason we didn't win the big east last year and the reason we didn't win today.

We have had and have very solid players. Unfortunately, we have yet to recruit a star that consistently wins us the close games. Look what Robinson did today for PSU.

Program has not had that type of player since McNabb, debatedly Reyes. Until we find that difference maker we will continue to stay at 5-8 wins a year mark. With the difference being close games like the one we played today.

Agreed, though I would say Mike Williams was that level of player. Unfortunately, that fell apart mid season.

I think some here need a bit of a reality check. We lost our head coach and he took half of the staff with him. We lost our QB and LT to the G-men. We lost our two best WR's and our best TE. We lost our heart and soul safety and our best d-end. We implemented a new staff and a new QB that arrived on campus a month ago. Despite all of that we had a chance to win in the final drive of the game vs a team that we've only beaten once in the past 30+ years. Given all of those things stacked against us I'm actually okay with the result.

Good post. I think the reality is that there is going to be a painful learning curve for both the players and coaches. But, as you said, they still had a chance to win in the final 2 minutes against a very well coached team that is going to win games in the B1g.

Seriously

Agreed, though I would say Mike Williams was that level of player. Unfortunately, that fell apart mid season.

Completely Agree. He just played on awful teams so he never really had a chance.

Did we really have a chance barring a minor miracle? I agree that we should not get carried away but when you can't move the ball you have no chance

Thank you! A little reality needs to set in here. I'm still optimistic for the year. I think a bowl game is still in our future and today's game didn't diminish that thought.

SU actually did win the BE last year Get your facts straight.

I actually think we have play makers on the team now! I think Allen will be fine he just needs to make his reads and not force things. Hopefully he is a quick learner. Our online is rough right now which makes running it tough but PTG is a game breaker when given the chance and smith will grind you. I would like to see a few quick outs to estime and Broyld' Get the ball in their hands and let them make plays

I think it's a bit of matching the players we have offensively to the teams defensive strengths. I thought Morris and AB were better matches vs PSU. I don't know how many snaps Clark and Kobena got.

Without an upgrade in talent we will need to play error free to win the tough games.

Without an upgrade in talent we will need to play error free to win the tough games.

That's what you get with having few playmakers and you're right, they have to be mistake free and make the plays when they happen. I do believe that PSU had a lot to do with the struggles as well as they are very talented defensively.

SU actually did win the BE last year Get your facts straight.

A four-way tie in a seven team league. We could have easily beat Rutgers or Cincinnati and played in the orange.

That was my point, no reason to be condescending.

A four-way tie in a seven team league. We could have easily beat Rutgers or Cincinnati and played in the orange.

That was my point, no reason to be condescending.

I do think there were 8 teams in the BE last season.

No you don't. Nobody plays error free. But there is a huge difference in executing well and yesterday.

I like your post all except the last line. I'm not "okay with the result", but I think the pieces are there to improve and win a lot of games this season.

I think it's a bit of matching the players we have offensively to the teams defensive strengths. I thought Morris and AB were better matches vs PSU. I don't know how many snaps Clark and Kobena got.
Kobena & Clark should have had more plays where they were a primary option.

FACT CHECK: We have beaten PedState twice in the past 26 years. Otherwise I think your assessment is well advised!

GO ORANGE !

Penn State–Syracuse football rivalry

From Wikipedia
In 1987, Coach Dick MacPherson finally led Syracuse to a resounding 48–21 victory over the Nittany Lions in the Dome. Syracuse won again the following year in Happy Valley but lost the last two games before the series was suspended in 1991.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom