Really Great (And Sad) Article About Dean Smith Today | Syracusefan.com

Really Great (And Sad) Article About Dean Smith Today

phil ford four corners. the man is a coaching legend

3249861109_d1337b9bc4.jpg

seems like the right thread to post this TV alert. For you Syracuse locals the Time Warner sports channel will be showing the 1987 regional final victory over UNC at 7 tonight.

seems like the right thread to post this TV alert. For you Syracuse locals the Time Warner sports channel will be showing the 1987 regional final victory over UNC at 7 tonight.
Its on in Albany also. I'm pleasantly pleased. Channel 323.

I remember when we beta UNC in 1987, Roger Springfield, then a sports anchor for, (I think it was Channel 9), did a report form the parking lot outside the arena and the first words out of his mouth were "You've really got to wonder about Dean Smith". The greatest win in our history to that date and he wants us to wonder about Dean Smith?

As it turned out, the guy to wonder about was Roger Springfield.

Last edited:
Great article. Thanks for posting it.

My mom has bad dementia. It takes a terrible toll...
My sincerest sympathies. Mine too. It's a terrible thing to witness and must be so frustrating and terrifying for those who suffer from it. My best wishes to you and your family. And many thanks to the OP. I've shared this with my family as well.

My mom has bad dementia. It takes a terrible toll...
Yeah, my Mom died from it almost a year ago. She was diagnosed about a year before she died. The last couple weeks were really sad, as the brain deteriorates from merely not remembering to being unable to control the body - the last few days she couldn't eat, swallow water, or even blink. All I could do was wet her lips, swab her mouth, and give her occasional eye drops. She is with our God now, as we all can be some day.

Last edited:
Such a poignant tale - thanks for the link. A good friend who's a (ahem) Heels fan really appreciated it too.

Not to get melancholy but I've thought about what I'd rather have happen to me - my body checking out and my mind intact...or vice versa.
As I got older it's clear to me that to lose one's mind is worse.

I'm glad for coach he has loved ones to take care of him.

My grandmother was diagnosed in 2003 and finally passed last April at 91. We are all made up of our memories and to have them taken from us is heartbreaking and just isn't fair. And it is just painful to watch someone you love have their lives erased.

A funny/disturbing story that we joke about now is a weekend in 2005 when I went to my parents' house to watch her. She was great all weekend. My sister-in-law came by and helped and brought my niece and we had a nice day on saturday. Sunday morning I'm woken up at 6:30 AM to her pounding the door - that I had thankfully remembered to lock - yelling for me that I had to leave and that her son-in-law would throw her out if he found out she was bringing strange men home. So that was fun.

. . . I've thought about what I'd rather have happen to me - my body checking out and my mind intact...or vice versa.
As I got older it's clear to me that to lose one's mind is worse.
I've witnessed both very closely as I lost a brother to ALS 8 years ago. I think they're equally cruel.