REALLY premature player stats - from games that don't count. LOL | Syracusefan.com

REALLY premature player stats - from games that don't count. LOL

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
How much do you think the full season stats will differ? Have fun.

Scoring leaders:
James Southerland 17.5 (who hoped for this ?)
Brandon Triche 17.0
Michael Carter-Williams 15.5
C.J. Fair 14.0
DaJuan Coleman 10.0
Jerami Grant 8.5
Baye Keita 8.0
Rakeem Christmas 7.5
Trevor Cooney 6.0

Comment: I think Southerland could end up our leading scorer - off the bench. I don't think Triche will keep his scoring this high, but if he did, we'd have an outstanding, Final Four kind of year. Carter-Williams will end up around here, I think. Same with Coleman. Keita lower, and you hope the rest can hold where they are. Grant likely to drop, though.

Rebounding:
Christmas 7.0
Grant 6.5
MCW 6.5
Coleman 5.0
Southerland 5.0
Fair 4.0
Triche 4.o
Keita 3.5

Comment: Christmas off to a pretty good start on the boards. Has to be more consistent throughout the game. Grant off to a great start and may push his way into more minutes than expected, because of how big he plays and how fundamentally sound he looks out there. Coleman has to get his numbers up, but is finding his way. JB gives him a ton of quick hooks, too. As he plays longer stretches, he'll do better, and get into the flow. Fair is way below par compared to last year, and should be around 7 per game this year. Southerland not doing bad for a guy off the bench, but could do more on the boards, too. Keita got far fewer minutes in game two, bringing down his stats. Triche doing a very solid job helping on the boards, and MCW's numbers show a real nose for the ball. A nice way to start a fast break is for your PG to get the rebound. Jason Kidd kind of start to the season for MCW.

Three-Point FG's:
Southerland 8-9
MCW 3-5
Triche 2-5
Cooney 2-5
Fair 2-5

Stinky is on FIRE so far. Mike looking good. Trevor with a solid debute. Triche hot and cold, but capable on any given night. Fair with a goose egg in game 2 from deep. Will C.J. be able to bounce back against SD State and pose a deep threat? It only takes one or two to force them to play you honestly out there, opening up the drive.

Assists:
MCW 7.5
Triche 6.0
Southerland 1.5

The numbers look good. Mike cut his TO's from 7 to 2 in game 2. Very teachable kid. Brandon may be inconsistent in terms of scoring, but he's moving the ball very well so far. Big drop off after those two. Will anyone else be able to generate some easy buckets for their teammates? Interior passing can make up some of the difference in time.

Yes, it is premature.

SU won't be putting up 100 points regularly against real teams, so several numbers will come down and the rotations will tighten up. Good teams will tighten up on the 3 point shooters. Most D-1 teams will have more size to compete inside.

Will Triche get a lot of points inside the paint the way he did on Sunday? The opposing guards were an easy match-up for him.

Keita & Southerland -- these guys have improved their skills; James will not likely be posting 17 points per game but he will be one of the top 3 scorers most times out. How many minutes will Southerland get as the 2? (I expect JB will look for spots to see if that big lineup works against real teams.)

Grant -- Agree with what you wrote. Preseason predictions about frosh are just fluff until you see how they compete in these exhibitions. JB has been saying Grant will play. He has legit size and better strength than I had expected; better skills in finishing; good rebounding basics.

CJ's rebounding -- his averages may come down because guys like Christmas & Coleman will soak up more of the rebounds and CJ as a 3 will get out and run.

"STINKY'S ON FIRE!" I'm just going to repeat that whenever he hits two in a row. Much like the Ohio bus driver that uppercut that girl: "You goin' to jail now! You goin' to jail now!"

Got to expect that MCW is going to lead the team in scoring.

If we are going to be the team we aspire to be, it hopefully will be James who leads us in scoring. You heard it here first, before these 2 preseason games.

If we are going to be the team we aspire to be, it hopefully will be James who leads us in scoring. You heard it here first, before these 2 preseason games.

Agreed when James scores it opens everything up. Opposing coaches will over react to him because of the fear of him gets "hot" it will lead to easy baskets by our bigs and CJ.

Agreed when James scores it opens everything up. Opposing coaches will over react to him because of the fear of him gets "hot" it will lead to easy baskets by our bigs and CJ.

Preston Shumpert used to get on those rolls and could ring up 6 or 7 three's in a game if he got it going. I think James has that ability, too. I'd like to see it in big games this year, against top competition. Friday could be the start of something big. I hope he has a huge game.

Preston Shumpert used to get on those rolls and could ring up 6 or 7 three's in a game if he got it going. I think James has that ability, too. I'd like to see it in big games this year, against top competition. Friday could be the start of something big. I hope he has a huge game.

Agreed! he reminds me of a more athletic Dnic

"STINKY'S ON FIRE!" I'm just going to repeat that whenever he hits two in a row. Much like the Ohio bus driver that uppercut that girl: "You goin' to jail now! You goin' to jail now!"
"Stinky is as hot as a fart after dinner at Taco Bell!"