really solid coaching | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

really solid coaching

There's 5:25 on the clock and we're on their 40 with a 10 point lead. If we get that first down they still have 3 TO's. It's not game over. 5:30 minutes is an eternity in football.

The decision is not black and white, right or wrong. There's theories behind both decisions. I tend to agree with the one we made.

You have to be confident you're going to pin them. Which is relying on a pointy ball to bounce the right way off the foot of a non-punter. If it doesn't, you've basically saved 17 yards of field position (we were on their 37 I believe) instead of trying to get a half yard or less on offense. I would think the probability is higher that you get the half yard, but that's a coach feel.

Plus you immediately force them to use their 3 TOs to stop you instead of having them on offense.

There isn't a right or wrong. I would have gone for it. But our decision worked out too.

33% of our rushing yards came on two carries, that doesn't strengthen your argument. The running game wasn't sustaining drives.

Estime's TD came on 1st & 10
Ishmael's TD: came on 2nd & 13

My original point was we needed to open it up, which is what we did.

There's 5:25 on the clock and we're on their 40 with a 10 point lead. If we get that first down they still have 3 TO's. It's not game over. 5:30 minutes is an eternity in football.

The decision is not black and white, right or wrong. There's theories behind both decisions. I tend to agree with the one we made.

You can't blame Shafer for punting there. Maybe we should have tried to draw them offside though. The biggest negative to going for it IMO is momentum.

Personally I would have gone for it. There was 6:10 left after the 3rd down play. We snapped the ball at 5:30. I rather we had gone for the kill. You get the 1st down then you run the clock down to 4:55 before you even have a first down play, 4:20 before 2nd, 3:45 before 3rd, and 3:40 before 4th (Wake definitely takes a TO here). There was a chance that Wake uses TOs earlier but most coaches will not use them that early. And if they do they have none left for the rest of the game which is a good thing. So even if you do not get a first down you have used up at least another 2 minutes. Is 2 minutes of clock time worth risking 25 yards of field position over? And that is assuming that you go 3 and out after and are too far to try a FG.

I think the decision that was a bad one was the FG to go up 30-17. A lot can go wrong with that. In college FGs are blocked all the time. They are far from safe. Even if you do kick the FG you run the risk of a KR TD. If neither a block or return happens then Wake needs 75 yards for a TD plus an onside kick and 55 yards for a TD. If you go for it and fail, Wake needs to 70 yards just to get into FG range and 95 yards for a TD. Then they need an on side kick plus a 20 yard drive for a FG or a 55 yard drive for a TD. And all of this in 1:45 seconds and 1 TO. I think the 2 TD scenario is a lot more likely. And this is assuming that you do not punch it in. But really this is like arguing when to foul up 3 in basketball.

We let out QB take way too many pops. I get that the run plays were working and we needed the win, but the guy is young and we're already out a starter. We need to find ways to win while protecting our QB.

We let out QB take way too many pops. I get that the run plays were working and we needed the win, but the guy is young and we're already out a starter. We need to find ways to win while protecting our QB.
good post i agree lets not take a chance with this kid. I wouldnt design any plays for him to run other than the zone read. The option is crazy as he will get hit regardless of if he runs the ball or pitches. Need to protect this kid big time

Which raises the question of what do we call him? Bueller, anyone? Anyone? OttoinGrotto?
Toga and CuseLegacy have both referred to him as Sunshine. I think Toga came up with that, but don't want to slight Cuselegacy if she did. Whoever came up with that was on the money though.

Anyway, he shall henceforth be known as Eric "Sunshine" Dungey

:gavel:

This ruling brought to you by the board arbiter of nicknaming.

OttoinGrotto said:
Toga and CuseLegacy have both referred to him as Sunshine. I think Toga came up with that, but don't want to slight Cuselegacy if she did. Whoever came up with that was on the money though. Anyway, he shall henceforth be known as Eric "Sunshine" Dungey :gavel: This ruling brought to you by the board arbiter of nicknaming.

I think that's the nickname his teammates gave him. :)

OttoinGrotto said:
That's great. Sometimes though teammates give crappy nicknames. That one works.

Concur. Was just relaying the info

Toga and CuseLegacy have both referred to him as Sunshine. I think Toga came up with that, but don't want to slight Cuselegacy if she did. Whoever came up with that was on the money though.

Anyway, he shall henceforth be known as Eric "Sunshine" Dungey

:gavel:

This ruling brought to you by the board arbiter of nicknaming.

It is the nickname his team mates gave him in HS and the SU players have picked up on it.

It is the nickname his team mates gave him in HS and the SU players have picked up on it.

How about "Sunshine Superman"? Donovan approves.

i was at the game. dungey is the real deal. the ol is poor. the kid got hammered. he made the ol look good. he will not finish the year against the big time teams. i still believe that the ol is HIGHLY suspect in protecting him. secondary, was also suspect due to the sell out of the defense. lester finally let eric lose in the second half. they need to mix up the play calling better, so the qb does not get killed. by the way the ol could still not open the inside for gains until the 4th quarter. dungey and strickland, have more to offer than they are letting them do,passing wise and catching.---the ol showed the same issues that were there last week against r.i.---this is just my observations from being at both games. defensive secondary is still another issue---big task as they do not get the help---but that is by design

Last edited:
As

As soon as this situation came up I thought to myself if they punt then people are going to bitch... but if they went for it and didn't make it, people would still complain... no win for the coaches unless you make the 4th down conversion. Even then someone would probably still complain!

tipphill said:
i was at the game. dungey is the real deal. the ol is poor. the kid got hammered. he made the ol look good. he will not finish the year against the big time teams. i still believe that the ol is HIGHLY suspect in protecting him. secondary, was also suspect due to the sell out of the defense. lester finally let eric lose in the second half. they need to mix up the play calling better, so the qb does not get killed. by the way the ol could still not open the inside for gains until the 4th quarter. dungey and strickland, have more to offer than they are letting them do,passing wise and catching.---the ol showed the same issues that were there last week against r.i.---this is just my observations from being at both games. defensive secondary is still another issue---big task as they do not get the help---but that is by design

I think you're the only one seeing the ol issues as "highly suspect" ... They are not perfect and need to get better - but I think they'll be fine.

As

As soon as this situation came up I thought to myself if they punt then people are going to bitch... but if they went for it and didn't make it, people would still complain... no win for the coaches unless you make the 4th down conversion. Even then someone would probably still complain!
Whenever we go for it I try to do my part and publicly support it for that very reason.:noidea:

I think you're the only one seeing the ol issues as "highly suspect" ... They are not perfect and need to get better - but I think they'll be fine.
i don't mind being the only one--they maybe fine, but dungey won't be unless they improve----he makes things happen at his expense. need to protect him better

i don't mind being the only one--they maybe fine, but dungey won't be unless they improve----he makes things happen at his expense. need to protect him better
Protection is not my OL concern. The lack of success on off tackle plays (as few as there have been) bothers me a bit.

Protection is not my OL concern. The lack of success on off tackle plays (as few as there have been) bothers me a bit.
i said that as well in another post, that there were very few up the middle that were successful including against r.i.

see now my concern has been running btw the tackles.

Whenever we go for it I try to do my part and publicly support it for that very reason.:noidea:
I think it was the right decision based on the game situation and had no problem with it, but I knew it would become a topic of discussion here no matter what they had decided to do.