Rearranging Deck Chairs | Syracusefan.com

Rearranging Deck Chairs

orange79

Internet Sleuth
BE presidents to meet this weekend.

Agenda item #1: Memphis? Navy? What???

Agenda Item #2: Determining whether it was UCF or Houston that egged BE HQ

Agenda Item #3: A lot of finger-pointing about turning down the ESPN offer

Agenda Item #4: Guest Speaker - Rick Pitino!

Agenda Item #5: Let's all just sit down and have a good cry. We'll all feel better.

UCONN, Rutgers, Temple, Navy

WVU, Cincy, Louisville, Memphis

TCU, Houston, Air Force, USF

There are worse things in the world...includes some decent markets. BB would be fairly solid with UCONN, Temple, WVU, Cincy, L'ville, Memphis, and Houston. FB should have two leaders at least with WVU and TCU. Don't see what better you can do without dipping into the Big 12 programs. Could see UCF but the BE has no PA presence now so Temple would make sense, a lot more than the Nova upgrade.

Marinatto shot for the stars and landed in the ditch with his television deal. I understand his thinking, but that was probably a case of overplaying his hand. A bird in the hand... that sort of thing.

BE presidents to meet this weekend.

Agenda item #1: Memphis? Navy? What???

Agenda Item #2: Determining whether it was UCF or Houston that egged BE HQ

Agenda Item #3: A lot of finger-pointing about turning down the ESPN offer

Agenda Item #4: Guest Speaker - Rick Pitino!

Agenda Item #5: Let's all just sit down and have a good cry. We'll all feel better.

The other shoe hasn't dropped yet. One or more of WVU, Louisville and/or Cincy will be heading for the first lifeboat to show up.

I get absolutely giddy every time I realize we are actually leaving this train wreck.

The other shoe hasn't dropped yet. One or more of WVU, Louisville and/or Cincy will be heading for the first lifeboat to show up.

I get absolutely giddy every time I realize we are actually leaving this train wreck.

Only my opinion but I don't think anyone in the BE has to worry except USF (maybe Cincy). They will all find homes. UConn will eventually be in the ACC, Rutgers will be in the B10 or ACC (depends on what ND does), Lville will be B12, WVU will be SEC and Cincy will be B12. Have no idea what will become of USF.

Herbst, in an email to The Associated Press, said the meeting in Washington on Sunday is a confidential gathering for conference presidents only and will not involve other university officials.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/09/28/Big.East.future.ap/index.html#ixzz1ZHqdP1Uf

First off, why email the AP if the gathering is supposed to be confidential?

Second, why is the UConn Pres. the one breaking this story? Making a public show of their loyalty to the conference going forward? Does that mean that they were rebuffed in their Beg & Plead tour and are now resigned to deal with the current conference situation?

Third, are all of the BE presidents meeting or just those from the football schools? The article doesn't specify which. This would be a key point if a FB-BB split is a topic. Sounds like no conference officials (Marinatto) are attending, so this could be on the table.

Fourth, who called the meeting? Going back to #2, I'd assume that it is schools that have no other options. However, we don't know who that is or isn't (WVU, Louisville, etc.) anymore. If everyone is in the same boat, this could be a productive meeting. But I suspect some are still going through the motions and didn't want to show their hands by refusing to participate.

Agenda Item #1 - find out who put that Hitler video out that went viral
Agenda Item #2 - move to go into executive session
Agenda Item #3 - select new commissioner with even closer Providence ties
Final Agenda Item - last one out closes the door

Second, why is the UConn Pres. the one breaking this story? Making a public show of their loyalty to the conference going forward? Does that mean that they were rebuffed in their Beg & Plead tour and are now resigned to deal with the current conference situation?

Because UConn knows they're screwed if the ACC doesn't come calling, and to hedge their bets, they decided to go all-in with the 'New (New)' Big East. The whole lemon-lemonade thing. Not that they had much of a choice. But you can bet they're on the first train out of town if any BCS conference comes calling. 'All-in' has several meanings in their position.

Only my opinion but I don't think anyone in the BE has to worry except USF (maybe Cincy). They will all find homes. UConn will eventually be in the ACC, Rutgers will be in the B10 or ACC (depends on what ND does), Lville will be B12, WVU will be SEC and Cincy will be B12. Have no idea what will become of USF.

I'm of the opinion that the longer it takes for this 16 team superconference idea to form, the less chance of it happening. Oklahoma is about to start their own network, I think those schools are going to keep the Big 12 together forever. Seems to me the longer the Big 12 stays together, the less likely that ND joins any conference, and the less likely that the ACC grows beyond 14 (or the SEC grows beyond 14 at best or the Big 10 grows beyond 12).

Maybe it's more about what I hope for than what I think will happen. But expansion-mania has too many theories, but not enough actual ideas that could be worked out between some of these schools and conferences. These Big 12 schools with their own networks seems like it might be too much to overcome.

I wouldn't feel one slight bit of comfort right now if were anyone still in the Big East. Imagine your fate being tied to ND joining a conference for all sports.

It is too late for football schools secede from the Big East. That train has left the station.

At this point, it is in their best interest to remain with the basketball schools.

Will a split between football & basketball schools really be an option? It seems that was the downfall of the BE as it existed. Too many schools with varied interests. The fact that ND was allowed to participate in voting down the ESPN deal bothered SU and I'm assuming was a last straw of sorts. If the BE tries to hold the whole conference together, the interests of the various schools won't match up well, with long-term conflict as a result. If enough of the FB schools find new homes individually there really is no issue as all that will be left will be BBall schools. If they can agree to split, it may help the FB schools to form a league that matches their needs. With all of the good news about improved finances, I'm so very happy that SU worked it out to join the ACC.

I'm of the opinion that the longer it takes for this 16 team superconference idea to form, the less chance of it happening. Oklahoma is about to start their own network, I think those schools are going to keep the Big 12 together forever. Seems to me the longer the Big 12 stays together, the less likely that ND joins any conference, and the less likely that the ACC grows beyond 14 (or the SEC grows beyond 14 at best or the Big 10 grows beyond 12).

Maybe it's more about what I hope for than what I think will happen. But expansion-mania has too many theories, but not enough actual ideas that could be worked out between some of these schools and conferences. These Big 12 schools with their own networks seems like it might be too much to overcome.

I wouldn't feel one slight bit of comfort right now if were anyone still in the Big East. Imagine your fate being tied to ND joining a conference for all sports.

Maybe the final model is 5x14 with the B12 being the 5th.

I don't know I think Rutgers belongs in the Mac more and may be closer to the Patriot league then the Big 10. They are a average midmajor in my mind playing on a glorified high school field and basketball gym.

I'm not sure Rutgers academics are up to snuff for the Patriot League.

If it is true that the school Presidents only are attending this meeting then John Marinatto's job, as well as a possible split, might be on the agenda.