Reasons why 17-18 season a success (already) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reasons why 17-18 season a success (already)

IMO, this year's Orange is already a success & a job well done by JB and staff.

* Seasons results so far seem like team has overachieved, considering:

- SU was returning all of 17.1 PPG from last year (Battle 10.9, Howard 4.5, Chukwu 1.7);

- Recruiting class coming in wasn't exactly a Kentucky-like haul (filled with "plug & play" Freshmen);

- No Senior transfers to rely on.

All of above basically means JB was basically breaking in 4-5 new players (to lineup) - getting them acclimated to zone, inserting 2-3 new players right into starting lineup, etc.

* So, facing such a situation with 2017-18 team & seeing the quality of recruits coming in next year, I say real goal for this season was to lay foundation for 2018-19.

And results in that area seem encouraging, considering:

- Frank Howard looks vastly improved over his Soph year. Looks ready to become that steady hand at PG that can also be a big time scorer.

- Oshae Brissett has outperformed anyone's highest expectations. Easily. Guy is a baller, capable of taking over a game at any time with drives to hoop (and getting fouled).

When was last time we returned a guy averaging stats like 14.5 PPG and 8.8 RPG?

- Getting rest of team some valuable experience.

- Chukwu has been better than anticipated, and should continue to improve.

- Sidibe has been a revelation when on the court...who has shown glimpses of already being capable of being a difference maker (like 18 Pts, 16 Rebs at Pitt). If he can get healthy for next year, he's a valuable player.

- Dolezaj plays a game that I just love. Need guys who do things on court that he does. And the experience this year will help him be even better next year.

- And then there's the previously unimaginable...that there is a chance Tyus returns next season. Although a legit possibility, I will not allow myself to seriously entertain the idea. (But just imagine...drool...haha.)

* Add all this with fact that Elijah Hughes is sitting out & practicing entire year...waiting for his shot. Kid played decent ball his Freshman year when healthy (and not in that late season slump) - just check out his game log. No reason to think he won't step right in to create offense next year.

* And then add that recruiting class. The "star" player (Baz), another 4 star recruit who is a threat on offense (Carey), and the "shooter" (Buddy).

Just think how good our defense has been this year - and then if we only lose 1 guy, there should be no dropoff.

After TT left so late & unexpectedly, I knew that this year would be a struggle. Just no way around it - we lost a lot from prior year & didn't exactly have a ton of difference makers coming in. It would be a larger class of newbies, and a lot of teaching/learning/gaining experience. All leading up to a (hopefully magical) 2018-19.

Everything from here is gravy.
Loved your post and thank you for writing it! It jump started a fun thread.

True confession: I have no memory of a player called Elijah Hughes playing one minute in a Syracuse game last year. I thought he was a transfer that had to sit out. NO MEMORY. Please clue me in and give my brain a chance to recover its dignity!

(Too late.)

Loved your post and thank you for writing it! It jump started a fun thread.

True confession: I have no memory of a player called Elijah Hughes playing one minute in a Syracuse game last year. I thought he was a transfer that had to sit out. NO MEMORY. Please clue me in and give my brain a chance to recover its dignity!

(Too late.)
maybe someone should do a THIRTEEN REASONS WHY this year is a disaster thread.
cassette diary page 1. this is for you ncaa sanctions...

1ih94m0d_400x400.jpg

Last edited:
I actually liked last year's team.

It’s hard to get your head around why last years team wasn’t like a 4-5 seed in the tourney. We would basically be trading Oshaes offense for White, Gillon, Lydon and Thompson. It’s crazy how that team pretty much sucked — the only reason we were close to the bubble was due to 3 miraculous finishes.

Totally agree with the OP. That said, I continue to worry about our national brand, as we see articles like this:

Bubble Watch: Syracuse can't quit life on the edge of the cut line

If this year weren't on the heels of several other non-tourney years, probation, and a aging 72 year old coach, I would totally argue it was a success given the many unpredicted factors. Hopefully, Bazley rejuvenates us like Carmelo did in '03, in terms of having a top flight player that draws attention and wins. I will be concerned that we are trending down though until we prove otherwise, and/or win an ACC Tourney game, finish top 4 in ACC, be safely in the tourney. Being the defacto made fun of bubble team, stinks. We have served our time.

Back around 2008, one of those snarky jerk analysts that thinks he’s funny said they should rename the bubble, “the Boeheim”. I hope our next 2009-2014 run is about to start.

It’s hard to get your head around why last years team wasn’t like a 4-5 seed in the tourney. We would basically be trading Oshaes offense for White, Gillon, Lydon and Thompson. It’s crazy how that team pretty much sucked — the only reason we were close to the bubble was due to 3 miraculous finishes.
\

Not to mention like the best 3pt shooting and FT shooting team I’ve personally ever seen for SU. It was all null and void due to the bad defense and often terrible shot selection and execution. I don’t care what the numbers said. We had an extraordinary amount of difficult shot makers who made contested shots and launched without conscience. When it mattered and the season was on the line against Miami we couldn’t score.

cassette diary page 2. this is for you taureen thompson

1ih94m0d_400x400.jpg
[/QUOTE]

\

Not to mention like the best 3pt shooting and FT shooting team I’ve personally ever seen for SU. It was all null and void due to the bad defense and often terrible shot selection and execution. I don’t care what the numbers said. We had an extraordinary amount of difficult shot makers who made contested shots and launched without conscience. When it mattered and the season was on the line against Miami we couldn’t score.

Bingo. It was an odd mix of a team with lots of offensive firepower...that at times could not score. Although KP had them at 30 in offensive efficiency.

Just not a cohesive team, I suppose.

Bingo. It was an odd mix of a team with lots of offensive firepower...that at times could not score. Although KP had them at 30 in offensive efficiency.

Just not a cohesive team, I suppose.

Right. Yeah that’s bunk re: 30. Notre Dame is at 20 right now. USC is at 22. Please. I’ve seen enough of these teams, especially USC, to not believe every stat listed.

this years bottom feeder schedule and the teams we played disabled was a god send.
we have not competed with the top half of our league. and that makes us bottom feeders.

main-qimg-aed66589d7519e118b8bfdf62487b6f7

people will say that money alone made the ACC a wise move . lacrosse, football, basketball.

DIVERS DOWN !

Last edited:
All things considered, this year could have been an absolute trainwreck. This season could've been a sub-.500 record if one or two more events went the other way. We could also be ranked #10 in the country if 1 or 2 events went the other way. Hoping for the best this off-season, but there is a scenario where Battle/Brissett/Dolezaj/Chukwu all leave, and Sidibe is sidelined for at least 6 months.

And if it should happen, JB should have been ready for it---no excuses. :rolleyes:

Nonsense.

I don’t give a fluck about anything but making the big tourney and going deep in it.

At year 50+ whatever years of the Great and Awesome James Arthur Boeheim’s career...that’s all that matters.

What did this year prove???

Should we put him the HOF again for the trials he overcame??

Bull.

Just get me another F4 and of course...a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally can't wait to start next season. Holding hands and proclaiming how not bad we are is something garbage schools do.
No, it's something that a very good coach has been able to piece together when most of us thought a winning season was very unlikely.
These guys have worked as hard as they could have been asked. They never gave up as a team and should be proud of what they have accomplished.

this threads entering a dark place

No, it's something that a very good coach has been able to piece together when most of us thought a winning season was very unlikely.
These guys have worked as hard as they could have been asked. They never gave up as a team and should be proud of what they have accomplished.

Piece together? Beat garbage team's all year and get all happy about beating a Miami team without a star player and Lousiville whos program is in turmoil?

We had a weak schedule, we lost to team's without their best player or players, outside of Brissett our freshman have been bad, and our coach admitted that he doesn't run plays because our players cant score.

Have we beaten one team in the top half of the ACC? Hell, we're citing a loss to the Bonnies as a good loss and a win against Buffalo as a good win. Stop. We're not close to where we were.

Here's to next season.

i don't put my head in the sand 4 months until march and hope we make it into the tournament .
i expect excellence or growth throughout the season. that is what SYRACUSE hoops represents.

this threads entering a dark place
Proving once again that no good deed (or rational and positive post) goes unpunished.

Piece together? Beat garbage team's all year and get all happy about beating a Miami team without a star player and Lousiville whos program is in turmoil?

We had a weak schedule, we lost to team's without their best player or players, outside of Brissett our freshman have been bad, and our coach admitted that he doesn't run plays because our players cant score.

Have we beaten one team in the top half of the ACC? Hell, we're citing a loss to the Bonnies as a good loss and a win against Buffalo as a good win. Stop. We're not close to where we were.

Here's to next season.
Nobody is saying we are close to where we were. I'm saying that we have done well for what we had to work with. Little more could have been asked of this flawed and inexperienced team.

Nobody is saying we are close to where we were. I'm saying that we have done well for what we had to work with. Little more could have been asked of this flawed and inexperienced team.

I predicted a .500 finish in the ACC for the season mainly because of the schedule, I think we were capable of winning more and that's where my disappointment lies.

getting blasted by BC. we are staring 18-14 in the face. but some of you think this season was a success. LOL

Thank God someone said it.

This team is a train wreck. Just because more cars didn’t derail doesn’t make it a success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom