Rebounding | Syracusefan.com

Rebounding

DonLightfoot

All Conference
I am a little concerned about this right now. I know in our zone it is more difficult, but being on the downside of a 43-33 difference to the Bonnies is not a good thing. Is this because we don't have a lot of "bulk" down low with the exception of Coleman? How will we stack up against a much bigger team?

Roberson continues his efforts with 12. I was pleased with Coleman when he was on the floor. He had two on our free throw misses which is not easy to do. Granted, he lost one after he had it in his hands. Can't ask for much more effort and hustle on this from Lydon. However, he might get muscled a bit from bigger dudes down the road.

rebounding is not any harder in the zone its just a different mind set of how to find the guy to put the body on. still need to want to go get the ball.. too many of our guys wait for the ball to come to them. it doesnt help to be undersized but thats the same in m2m. lydon was the only one consisently finding a body last night but guys with running starts are still going to get over the top. of course we lost about 5 fighting with our team mates

As for last night, the two freshman need to do a better job on the boards, especially MR

The Bonnies played a style we've always struggled against. Similar to L'ville and Pitt, they chucked the ball at the basket with their eyes closed, just hoping to hit rim or backboard, and then sent the whole team to grab the board.

We're just not going to be a good rebounding team this season, so I think we need to shift our focus to getting out in transition as much as possible. The more proficient we are at getting in transition and converting, the less often teams can send like 12 guys to grab the rebound. Though, this does require us to actually grab some clean defensive rebounds every now and then.

rebounding is not any harder in the zone its just a different mind set of how to find the guy to put the body on. still need to want to go get the ball.. too many of our guys wait for the ball to come to them. it doesnt help to be undersized but thats the same in m2m. lydon was the only one consisently finding a body last night but guys with running starts are still going to get over the top. of course we lost about 5 fighting with our team mates

I think it is harder. The wings have responsibility to come all the way out to the elbow extended to ensure no perimeter shots off the pass. As soon as the opponent puts the ball on the floor, they drop back down to the baseline, but then are responsible for defending 3's in the corner. Being aware of those responsibilities gets the wings on their toes, ready to bounce out, rather then digging in for position. I know we've had some wings that are good at it - but they are the exception. We trade extended coverage for rebounding - and do believe it is a conscious choice by JB. For teams that do not shoot well from the outside, that coverage can be token and lack intensity, but when he drives the wings hard to really extend properly, there is just no way they can easily recover.

The Bonnies played a style we've always struggled against. Similar to L'ville and Pitt, they chucked the ball at the basket with their eyes closed, just hoping to hit rim or backboard, and then sent the whole team to grab the board.

We're just not going to be a good rebounding team this season, so I think we need to shift our focus to getting out in transition as much as possible. The more proficient we are at getting in transition and converting, the less often teams can send like 12 guys to grab the rebound. Though, this does require us to actually grab some clean defensive rebounds every now and then.
Yes! We need to grab that rebound and then run run run fast fast fast and get that ball in the basket! Remember when we used to do that? It's that running fast and scoring thing that I particularly like.

I shall defend the Bonnies. They didn't chuck the ball at the basket with their eyes closed. They made great shots! However, we all know that Louisville and Pitt are huge mother chuckers.

I am a little concerned about this right now. I know in our zone it is more difficult, but being on the downside of a 43-33 difference to the Bonnies is not a good thing. Is this because we don't have a lot of "bulk" down low with the exception of Coleman? How will we stack up against a much bigger team?

Roberson continues his efforts with 12. I was pleased with Coleman when he was on the floor. He had two on our free throw misses which is not easy to do. Granted, he lost one after he had it in his hands. Can't ask for much more effort and hustle on this from Lydon. However, he might get muscled a bit from bigger dudes down the road.

So you just said we are good with Roberson, Coleman and Lydon - but it was a GLARING weakness yesterday.

Where do you want to make up the 10 rebound difference? Cooney rebounded most stuff in his area last night. Does it all fall on G and Mali?

Yes! We need to grab that rebound and then run run run fast fast fast and get that ball in the basket!

It would help to grab the rebound...

Tyler roberson had 8 of his 12 boards in the first half that means he only had 4 in 20 minutes in the second half.

Rebounding will get better. I'm sure the coaches will emphasize it and the players will improve their rebounding skills with each game. Rebounding from the 2-3 zone takes some getting used to.

We almost always struggle a bit on the defensive boards. It's the trade off that JB is willing to accept. It can't be any worse then it was last year, or the year before. Just as long as the zone continues to hold opponents to >30% from 3 a negative rebound margin is acceptable (to an extent).

So you just said we are good with Roberson, Coleman and Lydon - but it was a GLARING weakness yesterday.

Where do you want to make up the 10 rebound difference? Cooney rebounded most stuff in his area last night. Does it all fall on G and Mali?

After watching the replay, we had alot of rebounds that went out of our hands. There were atleast 5 I think that Malachi probably should of had and lost 3-4 I didn't catch the first time around. Lydon same thing I can thing of atleast 2-3 he probably should of had.
Obokoh and Lydon also both fumbled a pass right in their hands and they weren't rocket passes.

Roberson did a real nice job of rebounding to end the first half. He grabbed 7 I think it was in about 6 minutes,

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom