Record setting Jeopardy last night | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Record setting Jeopardy last night

This was the playbook for how James is gonna eventually go down. The secret is out, so playing passive is no longer an option for his competitors.

Step 1: Do whatever you can to get to Final Jeopardy

You're gonna need a smart competitor, of course, but someone who is (a) lucky enough to hit the Daily Doubles, (b) bet big like the $12,000 bet tonight, and (c) be correct.

Step 2: Pray like heck James misses Final Jeopardy

The SID played as well as almost any contestant, as his score was the most by any non-winner ever. It was still not nearly enough to get him the lead going into Final Jeopardy. When James ultimately loses, I'd be shocked if was not a similar scenario as Ken Jennings'; i.e. leading going into FJ only to guess wrong.

I'm watching jeopardy right now simultaneously checking espn site. They put the final margin in a featured story headline!:mad:

I'm watching jeopardy right now simultaneously checking espn site. They put the final margin in a featured story headline!:mad:

Yeah, this is real frustrating. They are treating this like a sports story b/c of his gambling profession. Combine that with the time zone change on the west coast and it’s hard to not ruin the surprise. At this point, when I don’t see an ESPN headline I assume another ho-hum win. When he does great (> $100,000) or has a scare like tonight, sounds like they are ready to blast it onto the front page of the website.

James won his 20th game yesterday. With the win he becomes the 2nd most prolific winner in Jeopardy history behind Ken Jennings. James's 20 wins have earned him $1,528,012.

Alex said on yesterday's show that for the next two weeks, Jeopardy will be hosting a Teachers tournament. So after Fridays show no James until May 20th.

Last edited:
James won his 20th game yesterday. With the win he becomes the 2nd most prolific winner in Jeopardy history behind Ken Jennings. James's 20 wins have earned him $1,528,012.

Alex said on yesterday's show that for the next two weeks, Jeopardy will be hosting a Teachers tournament. So after Fridays show no James until May 20th.
Dude was on fire last night. He got in a rhythm in double jeopardy and could not be stopped.

Dude was on fire last night. He got in a rhythm in double jeopardy and could not be stopped.
The guy is amazing. He probably has the ten highest single game scores in the history of the show, and he's done it in just 20 nights. He's averaging over $75,000 per win. I believe Ken Jennings "only" won about $2.5 million during his 74 game run.

He won $80,615 tonight, his total winnings now is $1,608,627.

Tonight's win gives him 21 in a row which moves him ahead of Julia Collins (she was good) into sole possession of second place for consecutive games won behind Ken Jennings (74 in a row).

And yes, he has the 10 highest single game scores in Jeopardy history. When you're AVERAGING $76,601 per show and the previous HIGH was $77,000 (Roger Craig), it was inevitable.

The only 2 big milestones left are Jennings 74 in a row and Brad Rutter's total winnings (including tournaments) of $4,688,436 (Jennings is second with $3,370,700). Long way to go to catch either one but at his current pace he'll pass Rutter's record when he wins his 62nd game in a row.

I wouldn't bet against him.

He won $80,615 tonight, his total winnings now is $1,608,627.

Tonight's win gives him 21 in a row which moves him ahead of Julia Collins (she was good) into sole possession of second place for consecutive games won behind Ken Jennings (74 in a row).

And yes, he has the 10 highest single game scores in Jeopardy history. When you're AVERAGING $76,601 per show and the previous HIGH was $77,000 (Roger Craig), it was inevitable.

The only 2 big milestones left are Jennings 74 in a row and Brad Rutter's total winnings (including tournaments) of $4,688,436 (Jennings is second with $3,370,700). Long way to go to catch either one but at his current pace he'll pass Rutter's record when he wins his 62nd game in a row.

I wouldn't bet against him.
Looking forward to the next Tournament of Champions. It should just be Ken, James and Julia. One week winner take all for 1 million dollar's.

Looking forward to the next Tournament of Champions. It should just be Ken, James and Julia. One week winner take all for 1 million dollar's.
Julia didn’t win her seasons Tournament of Champions.
She lost to Arthur Chu whom I would put in James league even though James is better.
The best 3 some IMO would be Ken, James and Brad Rutter.
Rutter and Ken are rivals.
They just did the Jeopardy allstars and Colby was another stud his team finished 3rd to Brad and Ken’s teams.

Julia’s team didn’t even finish top 5.

Why are his competitors still starting at the $200 level and working down. These people have lost before the game even starts. He works across the $1000’s, has $4 to $5k when he hits the daily double and the rest have $800. No one is adapting. Not sure it matters, Dude is smart and quick.

He’s going to have to miss on a couple of daily doubles and run across a competitor with some balls to bet more than $500 in the daily doubles. He’ll get unlucky,but might be a while.

i still never thought that the value of the question really made the question all that much harder most of the time.. now sometimes understanding what the clue means does matter but then its not like you lose money until you answer the question.

are people even buzzing in? who cares how smart he is and how well he plays the game, if no one is answering fast enough thats a huge advantage.

of course on other thing is we are watching something that took place over a week or 2 or 3 months ago. the people playing didnt know how he played to know to do something differnent strategy wise.. none of the people he plays against will have seen how aggressive he is to know they have to change their style. he will have to win for 3-4 months before anyone will see whats going on has a chance to actually play him.

i still never thought that the value of the question really made the question all that much harder most of the time.. now sometimes understanding what the clue means does matter but then its not like you lose money until you answer the question.

are people even buzzing in? who cares how smart he is and how well he plays the game, if no one is answering fast enough thats a huge advantage.

of course on other thing is we are watching something that took place over a week or 2 or 3 months ago. the people playing didnt know how he played to know to do something differnent strategy wise.. none of the people he plays against will have seen how aggressive he is to know they have to change their style. he will have to win for 3-4 months before anyone will see whats going on has a chance to actually play him.
Have to disagree there. $100/$200 questions are usually cake. $1000/$2000 are usually the most difficult (or at least, the writers plan it that way - it all depends on what you know). Just MO.

to me the first 1-2 questions are just general knowledge things that many people know.. but if you know the category i dont think any question is any harder than any other.

A bit of a scare last night and then he dropped the hammer

A bit of a scare last night and then he dropped the hammer
Not his best one tonight. Seemed slow on the trigger on a couple answers. Final Jeopardy: Jazz Classics, It was way too simple. The guy that came in second might have been his hardest competitor so far.