Record setting Jeopardy last night | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Record setting Jeopardy last night

I guess past performance doesn't guarantee future results. That librarian, who is only 27, knew a lot of stuff and played a great game.

Something that is over looked is the 3rd opponent. Normally their is a token dummy on every episode. I think the 3rd guy hurt James the most. He was very smart and stole a lot of questions that James normally would get.

Last night was the 1st time I noticed Alex looking visibly sick. He looked a bit weak and seamed to struggle a bit.

Thought it was awesome James's daughter made him a get well card!

Looking forward to the Tournament of Champions in August.

If real, I can’t wait to see how it unfolds. His final bet of under 2000 makes no sense given his prior strategies especially what his competitors had at final.

I am surprised by the amount of people who think this was a bad bet. From an analytical level, it makes perfect sense.

There are 2 ways for a person in 2nd place to overtake 1st place in that situation.
1) He gets it right and she gets it wrong.
2) They both get it wrong

If you have watched Jeopardy enough, you know that #2 is a much more common scenario than #1. But that is not the way people bet. The way people are betting in second place HAS ALWAYS BEEN WRONG. He is betting it properly. Strong players tend to get the same result on Final Jeopardy. And they were both strong players.

And that is why he bet the way he did. It was the best strategy for a comeback win.

Last edited:
I am surprised by the amount of people who think this was a bad bet. From an analytical level, it makes perfect sense.

There are 2 ways for a person in 2nd place to overtake 1st place in that situation.
1) He gets it right and she gets it wrong.
2) They both get it wrong

If you have watched Jeopardy enough, you know that #2 is a much more common scenario than #1. But that is not the way people bet. The way people are betting in second place HAS ALWAYS BEEN WRONG. He is betting it properly. Strong players tend to get the same result on Final Jeopardy. And they were both strong players.

And that is why he bet the way he did. It was the best strategy for a comeback win.
Agree my first response was an emotional, “in the moment” response. I get it

I'm not quite sure I understand his FJ bet. You can't hope someone else gets it wrong.

Why not? It's very simple.

If she gets it right, you lose.
If she gets it wrong, his bet ensures he wins (whether he gets it right or wrong).

Don't mean to pick on you as many have shared the same sentiment. But these type of comments made by hundreds are showing why he makes tonnes of money from gambling against other who make decisions based on what they most commonly see.

Most people think the best way to get a comeback win in that scenario is to get it right, and she gets it wrong. But you comeback much more often by betting on both of you missing it. It's just not the standard way of thinking about it.

He wasn't likely to win either way, but his best odds were gambling on her missing it.

I get why he did what he did. My response was just in the moment and surprised based on how he has played. But understand the logic. And this is also why I don't gamble.

No, I understand. My response came off a bit "dick"ish...

Apologies for my responses that come off as arrogant and condescending. Here is my current gambling account.

Why not? It's very simple.

If she gets it right, you lose.
If she gets it wrong, his bet ensures he wins (whether he gets it right or wrong).

;)

The real baller move would have been to call James’ “bluff” & bet nothing. Still would have won.

there have been times though where the leader has lost while getting the final answer correct and not betting enough.. imagine if she had bet a little and got it right and he bet a little and didnt catch her.. still you have to make sure you cont finish 3rd by getting in wrong either and he bet the right way..

the way these shows were taped so long ago did she even know the run he was on before they played?