Recruiting multiple players for one position | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting multiple players for one position

miamicuse

Starter
First if all this may be a dumb question and I don't know how recruiting works.

When you are the coaches and often times you have limited scholarship spots. Let's say for 2022 you have one PG spot and three PG recruits. Obviously there are many factors like some combo guards can play multiple positions, there may be players from the portal, some players you expect to leave may stay another years so many moving parts. But if you are actively recruiting three kids for one spot, and they are all not ready to commit yet and taking their time. Even if you have more than one spot available, if one commits the other two will move on.

Does the coach do anything to help the school or the recruit by telling them how the door may open or close depending on the timing?

Do they say we are waiting on a commitment and whoever commits here first will take the spot and we will move on after that?

Do the coaches (or just JB) decide on a first choice and quietly let the first choice know, that he is our preferred player, and they are holding that spot for him until he decides no matter what (like Green?) or if the other two signal with the intent to commit, they will let their first choice know, to give him the right to refuse, if he wants that spot he can take it with a commitment right then, if not they will accept the other commitment. Would they do that? I doubt it because kids these days can't keep a secret they probably would have announced it on IG that cuse is holding a spot for me the next minute lol.

What if the team come up with a new hashtag to keep some pressure on the recruits same as their #notcommited? Something like:

Was a pleasure hosting (player name) this weekend, he is going to be a cornerstone to a real exciting class of 2022 contesting for a national championship #OneUncommitedSpotLeft #FirstCommitFirstBagServed

Rarely have we gotten confirmation of exactly how recruiting goes. We usually have to rely on insiders who only hint rather than detail the process with any given recruit.

But an example of an ultimatum might be Jason Hart's recruitment. We had Hart and two other point guards and we told each of them the spot was theirs unless someone else committed first.

I think we played a little hardball with Hart after he decided to stay home ) after signing his letter of intent) in part because we felt we could have had the other guys if he had chosen to stay home originally, but after Hart committed, we cut them off.

I think the recruits know what is going on, you don't need to give an ultimatum. Besides, the coaches almost always have a hierarchy of whom they want most, and the other guys have to wait if they aren't the one. Sometimes it can backfire, but if you're the coach a really great player is worth waiting for.

Yeah I have been wondering along the same lines how this all works. I feel like a lot of it is just luck and chance - at least that's how it seems from the outside.

But the ramifications of the order of decisions of different recruits seems to be very important.

For instance, if a certain player that isnt the #1 choice commits and causes the top target to go elsewhere, it could be bad luck in a way even though it is great to get a recruit.

Its great to get a 4 year player...provides stability to a program in this day and age...but then it also locks that position up for 4 years and if the player is mediocre to just okay but barely good enough to b a starter...it puts a damper on the cieling of the team in a way...

The thing I wonder is if once an offer is made...doesnt that mean it can be accepted at any moment? If the offer is there and a player who is maybe 3rd or 4th priority at a position calls up and says they are ready to commit and then the coaches come back like hold on we are waiting for a better player than you to decide...how would that player still even consider that program at all? I would be looking elsewhere asap if it was me.

At the same time, a program will get absoutely burned if they put all their eggs in one basket and dont make contingency offers, imo...

I guess a lot of it just has to be opaque...but it matters a lot to a team's fortunes imo.

...the coaches almost always have a hierarchy of whom they want most, and the other guys have to wait if they aren't the one.

But do the coaches communicate that to the players? I am not sure they would.

"You are our #1 choice so the spot is yours unless you wait too long and someone else commit then we have no choice but to retract our offer"? May be.

"You are our #1 choice and we have a guaranteed spot for you. If someone else commits and we are out of scholarship or room for that position, we will call you and give you 24 hours to decide, if you commit then we tell the other no, if you take a pass then we give them the spot and you can remove us from your list"? I doubt it.

"We love to have you be on the team, you are our #3 choice after so and so, you need to wait until they decide"? I am not so sure.

It can be complicated with a domino effect right? We are waiting for recruit A to decide, who is our #2 choice for a position. Recruit A has us in his final list of six, where we are his #2 choice after Duke. He is waiting for Duke to offer him and we are his plan B. Meanwhile Duke is waiting for one of his one and done to decide whether he is coming back or leaving to the NBA, if he leaves they will offer recruit A.

Last edited:
Rarely have we gotten confirmation of exactly how recruiting goes. We usually have to rely on insiders who only hint rather than detail the process with any given recruit.

But an example of an ultimatum might be Jason Hart's recruitment. We had Hart and two other point guards and we told each of them the spot was theirs unless someone else committed first.

I think we played a little hardball with Hart after he decided to stay home ) after signing his letter of intent) in part because we felt we could have had the other guys if he had chosen to stay home originally, but after Hart committed, we cut them off.

I think the recruits know what is going on, you don't need to give an ultimatum. Besides, the coaches almost always have a hierarchy of whom they want most, and the other guys have to wait if they aren't the one. Sometimes it can backfire, but if you're the coach a really great player is worth waiting for.
My recollection on Hart was there was definite tampering by Harrick and we had no one else to get. JB was pissed at Harrick, who played on Jason’s brother’s illness.

It doesnt matter if its a house car employee stock or anything that you deem to be important. Betting on One. Putting all of your eggs in a single basket is a recipe for disaster.

From the intel I have gotten over the year+, it really is all of the strategies and what if scenarios. What I mean is...it depends on the need of the players, if the coaches truly have recruits in an order. We have done every possible scenario.

For example, both Cope and Chance are being recruited as pgs. They are in the situation first one who commits, get the spot. Now we arent pressuring them to commit now now now. JB wants kids to visit and go through the process and really make that decision(hence why we have had barely any de commits). Also that pressuring stuff really only works for the UKs and Dukes (take the offer or we are going to recruit over you). Unfortunately we cant do that.

Some recruits move fast fast fast cuz they think a spot wont be available for them (Kadary, Lands for example).

The Q Green situation burned the hell out of the coaches and I dont think that all eggs in one basket is going to happen again.

On the flip side, we have definitely said no to commitments or held off commits for higher pecking order players. I dont see that happening anymore in todays recruiting because we arent going to recruit 3 star, cross your fingers they turn into something by their senior year recruits anymore

All in all every scenario happens cuz no single recruiting battle is the same

Different sport obviously, but I can give my thought process.
Over the past three years, I’ve brought in the #19 and #15 ranked recruiting classes in women’s tennis.

I’m very upfront with my recruits in saying you are a very high priority for me, I want you here, I want you to be here; but this is our deadline for when we are looking to have our class complete by. That date is usually 2/1.

I communicate with them that we have X amount of spots and we are recruiting X amount of players to fill those spots. I think there’s a subtle way of saying take your time and make sure your deification is right, but don’t wait too long, because the spot you want might not be there when you want it.

I’ve been to a couple of recruiting conferences and the setting deadlines is pretty standard practice. The multiple times on my career I’ve extended deadlines for prospects I thought were “can’t miss”, it came back to bite me where I lost out on them and my backup plans.

But do the coaches communicate that to the players? I am not sure they would.

"You are our #1 choice so the spot is yours unless you wait too long and someone else commit then we have no choice but to retract our offer"? May be.

"You are our #1 choice and we have a guaranteed spot for you. If someone else commits and we are out of scholarship or room for that position, we will call you and give you 24 hours to decide, if you commit then we tell the other no, if you take a pass then we give them the spot and you can remove us from your list"? I doubt it.

"We love to have you be on the team, you are our #3 choice after so and so, you need to wait until they decide"? I am not so sure.

It can be complicated with a domino effect right? We are waiting for recruit A to decide, who is our #2 choice for a position. Recruit A has us in his final list of six, where we are his #2 choice after Duke. He is waiting for Duke to offer him and we are his plan B. Meanwhile Duke is waiting for one of his one and done to decide whether he is coming back or leaving to the NBA, if he leaves they will offer recruit A.
To quote the former guy--"Who knew healthcare (recruiting) was so complicated?".

Different sport obviously, but I can give my thought process.
Over the past three years, I’ve brought in the #19 and #15 ranked recruiting classes in women’s tennis.

I’m very upfront with my recruits in saying you are a very high priority for me, I want you here, I want you to be here; but this is our deadline for when we are looking to have our class complete by. That date is usually 2/1.

I communicate with them that we have X amount of spots and we are recruiting X amount of players to fill those spots. I think there’s a subtle way of saying take your time and make sure your deification is right, but don’t wait too long, because the spot you want might not be there when you want it.

I’ve been to a couple of recruiting conferences and the setting deadlines is pretty standard practice. The multiple times on my career I’ve extended deadlines for prospects I thought were “can’t miss”, it came back to bite me where I lost out on them and my backup plans.
How do you tell a backup plan that they are a backup plan?

I wonder also has any recruit ever received a bag from a school and end up attending elsewhere leaving the school hanging because they know the school can't report him to the NCAA and he can milk multiple bags from different schools?

I wonder also has any recruit ever received a bag from a school and end up attending elsewhere leaving the school hanging because they know the school can't report him to the NCAA and he can milk multiple bags from different schools?

Bags are usually from boosters, shoe companies or agents. You could take money from any of them and go elsewhere but doing that with option 2 & 3 could have very detrimental effects on your career later on. First option has probably happened for exactly the reason you gave.

just my opinion

Bags are usually from boosters, shoe companies or agents. You could take money from any of them and go elsewhere but doing that with option 2 & 3 could have very detrimental effects on your career later on. First option has probably happened for exactly the reason you gave.

just my opinion
I don’t know anything, but I thought I heard that some of these guys would get paid just to take a visit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom