Recruiting Philosophy Question | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Philosophy Question

Ward

Starter
All things considered equal in terms of your supporting cast already in place(key players expected to leave, young freshman expected to improve, guys graduating), your team is a solid top 10 program in the country, you have 1 scholarship left, would you rather give it to a guy who is very good say a top 30 player who will be a big contributor for 2-3 years, or a top 5 stud who's one and done?

Personally I keep going back and forth. I know in a perfect world you would have a mixture, but that is very very difficult to do. The programs with 2-3 year guys you have experience, in most cases more maturity, a better family atmosphere throughout the program, and as weird as it sounds you seem to get a little more invested in the players as you get to see them develop and mature. The one and done guy is maybe that elite talent who can put you on his back and carry you in the tournament, but puts pressure on the program to refill that position and may or may not affect your APR rating if they decide not to bother with class their final semester.

In other words, to give names and faces to the question, for Syracuse would you rather have a Tyler Roberson/Jermaine Lawrence type (apologies if either of them are legit one and done guys), or Noah Vonleh?

Easy answer - if your program is already Top Ten you want the one & done potential superstar who can bring you the title ala Melo or Davis. Also, some of these heralded guys don't quite live up to the hype & end up being the equivelant of the top 20 to 30 guy who needs to stay anyways, so no downside in that situation.

If your program is not Top Ten already, then you probably go with the 2 to 3 year guy to get into the Top Ten & hope for a shot at the next stud coming down the pike.

In other words, to give names and faces to the question, for Syracuse would you rather have a Tyler Roberson/Jermaine Lawrence type (apologies if either of them are legit one and done guys), or Noah Vonleh?

I think Lawrence is putting himself into that top 10 one and done club because he has been tearing it up lately. A lot of people are comparing him to Kevin Durant.

I think Lawrence is putting himself into that top 10 one and done club because he has been tearing it up lately. A lot of people are comparing him to Kevin Durant.

A lot of people get compared to Kevin Durant. Take that with a huge grain of salt, and remember that he's playing right now against HS kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom