Recruiting/portal question for our insiders: | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting/portal question for our insiders:

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
in general, how soon into the season do HS coaches, “agents”, etc., start reaching out for landing spots for portal guys. For instance, if Clingnan felt he was being misused, and wanted to ask if SU was open to a transfer, is it likely the coaches would know already?

in general, how soon into the season do HS coaches, “agents”, etc., start reaching out for landing spots for portal guys. For instance, if Clingnan felt he was being misused, and wanted to ask if SU was open to a transfer, is it likely the coaches would know already?

According to JB's radio show Thursday, kids have already reached out to us.

We can't "officially" contact them until they enter the portal. But if a kid already knows he wants a change, wheels are probably in motion.

@SWC reported that JB said the staff has had a couple of players from other teams already reach out to Syracuse to see if they have interest.

JB of course did not provide names. But not knowing already, my guess is that players headed to the portal are probably targeting schools that look to have opportunities for ample playing time.

It is my guess that centers and shooting guards and maybe power forwards, are the players most likely to target Syracuse if playing time is a primary concern.

Not an insider, but I saw JJ Starling up close today against UVA. At least right now, Mintz is a MUCH better player and it’s not even close. Judah has tremendous talent as we all can see, but he also has the “it” factor. He has the will, confidence, leadership and “want to” to win. I didn’t see that today with JJ. Given JJ is playing on a bad team, and maybe even a bad scheme for him, and that can make a difference. Super happy that we got Judah! Not many freshman make the kind of impact he is making.

I wonder is Kamari Lands could be one of those players that might have reached out. Was committed to us at one point. Wouldn't hate that option, could fill Benny's spot to provide a little offensive versatility and athleticism.

Contact is mostly through intermediaries. It would be against the rules for SU to actively recruit a kid on another team, or to work with said player's family.

But there's nothing stopping SU coaches from having a conversation with influential contacts associated with the player, like AAU coaches or the HS coach.

That's generally how this type of stuff happens behind the scenes, avoiding the "violation." For example, let's say that a kid that SU formerly recruited but lost out on goes elsewhere, then decides to leave. The coaching staff might get a call / email / text from the player's former head coach, inquiring [off the record] whether SU would still be interested in the player if he WERE to enter the portal. SU might say hell yes, no, or indicate that they don't have room, etc. -- and the intermediary passes that news along.

If it's a "yes," the intermediary will generally then work with the staff [again, behind the scenes] to plan out logistics.

I wonder is Kamari Lands could be one of those players that might have reached out. Was committed to us at one point. Wouldn't hate that option, could fill Benny's spot to provide a little offensive versatility and athleticism.
Good question, I guess we could trade him for Benny. I wouldn't trade him for Bell though who has improved since the season started.

U know who might be a lowkey transfer we aim for? Yann Ferral from St Bona

U know who might be a lowkey transfer we aim for? Yann Ferral from St Bona
We did offer him as a recruit. He is playing pretty well. Good Wiliams replacement

FYI, this is where accusations of tampering get levied. Also, it leads me to believe that 2023 will be transfer heavy. After last night, every spot is up for grabs with Jesse and Joe being seniors along with Mintz if he does not return.

Another way for Syracuse to level the playing field against large state universities with huge NIL boosters is to rely more heavily on international prospects. Look who’s featured prominently in this article - Mr Sean Miller. I am convinced now that if Syracuse wants to return to being a top college basketball team, he is the obvious choice to replace JB. If we go cheap and promote Red, I think there’s a greater than 50% chance he fails within three years.

After looking at the Xavier coaching staff this year, only one coach was brought from Arizona and he was the man responsible for their international recruiting efforts. I think he would follow Sean wherever he lands next.

Last edited:
I regularly get 2-3 emails from prospects directly every week who aren’t in the portal yet. It’s very common at every level of college athletics. Just this past weekend at a match, I was pulled aside by the father of an opposing player who’s unhappy and looking to transfer.

This is noteworthy in a vacuum. But curious when the transfer rankings were compiled. If during or after the season, then this is pretty worthless. Think about it.

recruiting rankings get the pub but they really are just random guesses, for the most part
It's less on recruiting ranking accuracy but more so shift towards teams becoming more reliant on transfers additions than HS kids

It's less on recruiting ranking accuracy but more so shift towards teams becoming more reliant on transfers additions than HS kids
eh...the cream of the crop goes straight to gleague ignite and all that mumbo jumbo...I just think the talent of freshman isnt good enough to make much of a splash...and since good players dont stay 3 or 4 years anymore...recruiting HS kids isnt going to get a team anywhere now...a la kentucky

eh...the cream of the crop goes straight to gleague ignite and all that mumbo jumbo...I just think the talent of freshman isnt good enough to make much of a splash...and since good players dont stay 3 or 4 years anymore...recruiting HS kids isnt going to get a team anywhere now...a la kentucky
Gleague Ignite has had issues trying to grab high profile kids over the past few years ever since NIL became a thing. They only have 1 kid from the 2023 class.