Recruiting/portal question for our insiders: | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting/portal question for our insiders:

Gleague Ignite has had issues trying to grab high profile kids over the past few years ever since NIL became a thing. They only have 1 kid from the 2023 class.
They have the projected #2 pick this year and #1 pick next year along with a couple other first rounders. They seem to be doing just fine. NIL has definitely helped to compete with them to an extent though.

This is the exact reason we shouldn't run these kids down when they choose another school or de-commit from us. If GMac has kept his relationship with Kamari we may be in good shape to bring him in - although I am not sure I'm sold on him after watching a couple of Louisville's games

Maybe Kamari would like to take another stab at that commitment to SU.
Not too impressive.

Sounds like some players were encouraged by Payne to leave according to the article below. 3 are noted as leaving including Lands.

Just interesting

This is noteworthy in a vacuum. But curious when the transfer rankings were compiled. If during or after the season, then this is pretty worthless. Think about it.
It's getting college level stats and film to better gauge what translates. Take Benny for example, folks on here call him a 5 star, he wasn't, high 4 star but look at his offer list, that's not a 5 stars offer list.

It's getting college level stats and film to better gauge what translates. Take Benny for example, folks on here call him a 5 star, he wasn't, high 4 star but look at his offer list, that's not a 5 stars offer list.
Typically, if a player is 5 stars by even one service, we call him 5 stars. Benny qualifies based on this.

Typically, if a player is 5 stars by even one service, we call him 5 stars. Benny qualifies based on this.
Ok, but if you follow recruiting, VTech, Miami, gtown is not a true 5 stars offer list. And the point is, you don't know what your getting until you see them in college competition.

Ok, but if you follow recruiting, VTech, Miami, gtown is not a true 5 stars offer list. And the point is, you don't know what your getting until you see them in college competition.
I watched a ton of his high school games. Benny was much more comfortable and looked like a 5 star recruit. He has rarely looked that comfortable as a Syracuse player. Hopefully he stays, and under Red he feels more comfortable, because he would be "good Benny" much more often. He does need to give considerable attention to his handle, but his flat shot would go away and he would be much more effective.

Gleague Ignite has had issues trying to grab high profile kids over the past few years ever since NIL became a thing. They only have 1 kid from the 2023 class.

well there are a bunch of overtime elite and gleague ignite players in the latest mock draft on espn

regardless of however you wanna slice it - freshman one and dones are not winning much in 2023 NCAA, imo...many more busts than hits...and the ones that hit are gone next season. even the good freshman are still just freshman...look at judah...will be a great player but didnt really do enough to effect winning this season, imo. do you really want that if its only for 1 year???? I'd prefer a senior transferring in from another school...even if judah has a better shot at an NBA career.

Kentucky is a prime example...they are stuck on the 1 year cycle treadmill and havent done a lot lately because of it...last final four was 2015. theyve had some decent years recently but not what you might expect from a team that can basically pick any HS recruit they want first dibs.

my point, and i stick by it, building thrugh portal is way better than building through McD all americans/top 100s...and will be for the forseeable future. its a new landscape.

if HS players stayed 4 years...HS players would be better...but they dont. so theyre not.

Last edited:

well there are a bunch of overtime elite and gleague ignite players in the latest mock draft on espn

regardless of however you wanna slice it - freshman one and dones are not winning much in 2023 NCAA, imo...many more busts than hits...and the ones that hit are gone next season. even the good freshman are still just freshman...look at judah...will be a great player but didnt really do enough to effect winning this season, imo. do you really want that if its only for 1 year???? I'd prefer a senior transferring in from another school...even if judah has a better shot at an NBA career.

Kentucky is a prime example...they are stuck on the 1 year cycle treadmill and havent done a lot lately because of it...last final four was 2015. theyve had some decent years recently but not what you might expect from a team that can basically pick any HS recruit they want first dibs.

my point, and i stick by it, building thrugh portal is way better than building through McD all americans/top 100s...and will be for the forseeable future. its a new landscape.

if HS players stayed 4 years...HS players would be better...but they dont. so theyre not.
Both Scoot and the Thompson twins joined Ignite/OTE prior to NIL being a thing in college.

The original goal for Ignite was to attract 5 top end HS players who didn’t want to go to college and only stay 1 year in Ignite before going to NBA Draft. Last year, they had to fill 3 of the 5 players with a couple NBA Draft combine participants who weren’t good enough for Draft. Plus only 1 2023 kid commited to Ignite. With the NBA backing, you expect more kids to want to jump to Ignite.

Both Scoot and the Thompson twins joined Ignite/OTE prior to NIL being a thing in college.

The original goal for Ignite was to attract 5 top end HS players who didn’t want to go to college and only stay 1 year in Ignite before going to NBA Draft. Last year, they had to fill 3 of the 5 players with a couple NBA Draft combine participants who weren’t good enough for Draft. Plus only 1 2023 kid commited to Ignite. With the NBA backing, you expect more kids to want to jump to Ignite.
so...what are you saying?

I'm saying go for the portal over go for the HS kids. period.

JMO, but I don’t see Roddy Gayle transferring. His minutes have really picked up since Ohio State‘s season went to sht, and he’s shooting the lights out right now in the Big 10 tournament.