Recruiting Question about Coaches | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Question about Coaches

kentuckycuse

Walk On
Just curious but Hopkins and Red have been our main recruiters for a long time and have pulled in all of our big recruits.
It seems odd to me that GMac is the Coach who seems to be on the road associated with some of the bigger names we are going after. Certainly not a knock on him as I am sure his name carries plenty of weight. Any insights as to why this appears to be the case or am I totally off base here?

Not sure at all but with a handful of the guys playing hs hoops in PA I'm inclined to guess he has connections with the coaches in that state. Red has networking in the DMV area due to his prep coaching down there and some in the big Apple from playing days. Haven't heard much linking Hop to the 17's although I want to say he was working Duvall before the move down south. Francis much more qualified to give an accurate summary though.

Just curious but Hopkins and Red have been our main recruiters for a long time and have pulled in all of our big recruits.
It seems odd to me that GMac is the Coach who seems to be on the road associated with some of the bigger names we are going after. Certainly not a knock on him as I am sure his name carries plenty of weight. Any insights as to why this appears to be the case or am I totally off base here?
GMac as I noted on other threads is the lead assistant on most of our top targets in 2017. Green, Diallo, DCR, Tucker, Walker, and I'm pretty sure Randolph now. So it's obviously important that he's out and visible to most of these targets out on the road. I'm sure Hop and Red will rotate in next weekend. The sanctions limiting us to only have 2 coaches on the road at the same time until next May hurts us in this kind of aspect. Still there are ways to get creative and work around it.

Francis03 said:
GMac as I noted on other threads is the lead assistant on most of our top targets in 2017. Green, Diallo, DCR, Tucker, Walker, and I'm pretty sure Randolph now. So it's obviously important that he's out and visible to most of these targets out on the road. I'm sure Hop and Red will rotate in next weekend. The sanctions limiting us to only have 2 coaches on the road at the same time until next May hurts us in this kind of aspect. Still there are ways to get creative and work around it.

Wasn't GMac Moyers recruiter too?

So why is Gmac the lead guy over Red and Hop on all those kids?

Francis, how would you characterize the impact of the 2 coach limitation? Hurting us badly or not a big hit?

Seems odd that so much is put on Gerry for 2017, especially when Hop is widely considered to be one of the best recruiters in the Nation. 2017 is crucial for the program and we are going to bring in 5/6 recruits. I am sure they know what they are doing but it seems a bit risky knowing what is at stake moving forward. I realize he brought in Moyer who is a solid get but he is not generally considered a 5 star type player, the guys we are going after now are all big time players and being targeted by big time programs including us.

Francis, how would you characterize the impact of the 2 coach limitation? Hurting us badly or not a big hit?
It's not ideal, but it's better having 2 than none at all like Louisville. It mainly just hurts that we can't be as flexible going to multiple events on a certain weekend. This past weekend, most of our top targets in 2017 played in the Nike EYBL. So JB and GMac were able to stay in one building throughout the weekend. Our top 2018 targets such as Naz Reid, Louis King, Jahvon Quinerly, all played in the Under Armour event in another venue at the same time. With all 4 coaches in a normal year, Hop and Red would've been able to attend the Under Armour event, while JB and GMac were at the Nike event.

It's not ideal, but it's better having 2 than none at all like Louisville. It mainly just hurts that we can't be as flexible going to multiple events on a certain weekend. This past weekend, most of our top targets in 2017 played in the Nike EYBL. So JB and GMac were able to stay in one building throughout the weekend. Our top 2018 targets such as Naz Reid, Louis King, Jahvon Quinerly, all played in the Under Armour event in another venue at the same time. With all 4 coaches in a normal year, Hop and Red would've been able to attend the Under Armour event, while JB and GMac were at the Nike event.
Can't wait to get this sanction nonsense over with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom