Recruiting Question | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Question

Cappy3

Walk On
OK, so we’re not likely to be signing any McDs AAs any time soon. Even top 100 guys are hard to come by. But if we have to sign lower rated prospects, is there some reason we can’t look at guys who provide something we don’t already have. I’d like to see us look for big guys with some meat on their bones, instead of all long, lanky types. And I’d like to see us occasionally sign a true point guard, instead of all “combo” guards who have to learn how to run a team on the fly. Would that be so hard?

OK, so we’re not likely to be signing any McDs AAs any time soon. Even top 100 guys are hard to come by. But if we have to sign lower rated prospects, is there some reason we can’t look at guys who provide something we don’t already have. I’d like to see us look for big guys with some meat on their bones, instead of all long, lanky types. And I’d like to see us occasionally sign a true point guard, instead of all “combo” guards who have to learn how to run a team on the fly. Would that be so hard?

True point guards are hard to come by, with the size and athleticism needed to compete at this level. The staff would probably love to find one, but they’re rare and kind of a dying breed.

I agree that a Center with some girth and catching ability would be outstanding.

Edit: I decided to look up how many guys in college ball last year could stake a claim as a ‘true PG’. I came up with 36 players based on the stats you’d expect a true PG to put up (being lenient). Divide by 4 and add a few for guys who leave for the NBA, and you’re looking at something like 9-13 true PGs in any given recruiting class. This of course doesn’t account for guys putting up ‘true PG’ numbers on mid majors, who wouldn’t cut it in P5 programs. Realistically, the number of viable true PG recruits any given year is probably somewhere around 6.

And I would love for the staff to get one!

Last edited by a moderator:
True point guards are hard to come by, with the size and athleticism needed to compete at this level. The staff would probably love to find one, but they’re rare and kind of a dying breed.

I agree that a Center with some girth and catching ability would be outstanding.

Edit: I decided to look up how many guys in college ball last year could stake a claim as a ‘true PG’. I came up with 36 players based on the stats you’d expect a true PG to put up (being lenient). Divide by 4 and add a few for guys who leave for the NBA, and you’re looking at something like 9-13 true PGs in any given recruiting class. This of course doesn’t account for guys putting up ‘true PG’ numbers on mid majors, who wouldn’t cut it in P5 programs. Realistically, the number of viable true PG recruits any given year is probably somewhere around 6.

And I would love for the staff to get one!
My point was, if we’re not gonna get a top 100 guy, at least look for a true point as a long shot prospect instead of always going after combo types. I’m pretty sure some of those mid-major points could give us 5-10 minutes without the sky falling (any worse than it already is).

Also we recruit very particularly for the zone. And we also usually have guys that need building on.
Need to just throw out all those offers and get on that trail and recruit the out of the top 100.

Again, my point is, looking at centers, I see other P5 teams with big guy PROSPECTS, not top 100 or even 150, that weigh around 240-250. Our prospects barely weigh 200, year in and year our. Bigger guys are out there, but we don’t seem to go after them.

According to ESPN 20 out of the top 50 2020 centers are still available.

Again, my point is, looking at centers, I see other P5 teams with big guy PROSPECTS, not top 100 or even 150, that weigh around 240-250. Our prospects barely weigh 200, year in and year our. Bigger guys are out there, but we don’t seem to go after them.

Jimmy recruits big men that are more mobile. Need to be able to move around quickly in the zone.
At least that’s what I figure is happening.

Rick, Arinze, and Fab moved around just fine. In fact they all moved around better than the skinny players that we have now.
If I recall when Rick play the 4 he was slow getting out to the wing, AO I believe was only a 3 star and was definitely the build players and me matured. I think wasn’t a force until his junior year.

If I recall when Rick play the 4 he was slow getting out to the wing, AO I believe was only a 3 star and was definitely the build players and me matured. I think wasn’t a force until his junior year.
And those are the type of 3 stars (AO I mean) that we should be looking for. Guys built to play down low in the ACC, not the guys who get moved out of the lane by a stiff breeze.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom