Recruiting Rankings | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Rankings

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Does anyone actually try to rank recruiting classes by how well they fill a particular school's needs? I have always thought it odd that the classes are ranked strictly by the number and ranked quality of the signees without much attention paid to whether they fit the program's needs. Granted if UK brings in 5 5-star players that is going to be the #1 class regardless of their need. But if someone else has a need for a point guard and brings in 2 4.5-star forwards a 4 star shooting guard but no one that can handle and distribute the ball why should that class be ranked highly? It seems like that would actually be a poor recruiting class because they failed to address their biggest need.

Does anyone actually try to rank recruiting classes by how well they fill a particular school's needs? I have always thought it odd that the classes are ranked strictly by the number and ranked quality of the signees without much attention paid to whether they fit the program's needs. Granted if UK brings in 5 5-star players that is going to be the #1 class regardless of their need. But if someone else has a need for a point guard and brings in 2 4.5-star forwards a 4 star shooting guard but no one that can handle and distribute the ball why should that class be ranked highly? It seems like that would actually be a poor recruiting class because they failed to address their biggest need.
As far as recruiting team rankings go they are a skewed stat. Of course UK will have the highest rank every year because they wipe the slate clean ever year. They need everything every year.

I like to look at what the needs are. For instance, when Drummond decided to go to Uconn last minute it was a huge get. Obviously it didn't turn out the way they wanted, Oriakhi pouted all year.

I think they give the nod to well balanced classes sometimes. If a school brought in 4 highly ranked guys all players all playing forward, they may be ranked behind a school that is bringing out 4 highly ranked players playing different positions. I don't think they ever consider what is currently on a team, nor do I think they should.

ESPN does do a separate ranking of the classes after the spring signing period, and I think they do factor in a lot of what you said... but ultimately they are still beholden to confirmation bias, and try to legitimize their rankings by using them as a basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom