Recruiting Strategy Going Forward | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Strategy Going Forward

CuseCPT

All Conference
I hope we adjust after this. Prospects in the 15-50 range are fool's gold. They're good enough to leave early, but not good enough to win you a championship.

I don't begrudge any of our guys that have left early but I'd rather see a senior-laden team that has chemistry and some depth than get a Malachi or McCullough for a year.

Another problem with relying on those types of recruits is I think it has made fan's impatient with normal player development. I remember people throwing around comments on this board about some of our players that have transferred, comments like "Just not ready to contribute" "Not a P5 talent" "Not a D1 talent", etc.

I'm not saying don't ever go after big recruits, I'm saying maybe only bank on having 1 on your roster so it isn't a disaster when they leave earlier than expected.

And no, this isn't a dig on JB. The landscape is changing rapidly and it changed big-time today. I don't fault him at all for going after the best players on the board, but with the changing NBA dynamics that may not be the best approach going forward. We shall see.

I hope we adjust after this. Prospects in the 15-50 range are fool's gold. They're good enough to leave early, but not good enough to win you a championship.

I don't begrudge any of our guys that have left early but I'd rather see a senior-laden team that has chemistry and some depth than get a Malachi or McCullough for a year.

Another problem with relying on those types of recruits is I think it has made fan's impatient with normal player development. I remember people throwing around comments on this board about some of our players that have transferred, comments like "Just not ready to contribute" "Not a P5 talent" "Not a D1 talent", etc.

I'm not saying don't ever go after big recruits, I'm saying maybe only bank on having 1 on your roster so it isn't a disaster when they leave earlier than expected.

And no, this isn't a dig on JB. The landscape is changing rapidly and it changed big-time today. I don't fault him at all for going after the best players on the board, but with the changing NBA dynamics that may not be the best approach going forward. We shall see.

So - recruit more guys like Matt Moyer and Taurean Thompson then? :rolleyes:

The issue is that the long/zone fit dudes outside of the top 25/50 are projects and beanpoles. Usually raw guys having to play in an ISO system Boeheim runs. Ugly prognosis.

Last edited:
So - recruit more guys like Matt Moyer and Taurean Thompson then? :rolleyes:
Or maybe focus a little more effort on keeping those guys for 4 years rather than recruiting over them and letting them go play elsewhere. TT might be an outlier because it sounds like he brought a lot of drama with him. Or maybe go after a kid like De'Andre Hunter has solid potential and Orange blood pumping through his veins.