Class of 2015 - Recruiting Strategy? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Recruiting Strategy?

THIS current staff will continue to hammer SoFL, Illinois, PA, NY, GA and parts of NJ/Conn/DC. Stick with what works. Last year's class was a great success seeing we only went 6-6 in the regular season and got absolutely hammered by FSU, Clemson and GT.

If we can go 8-4 or better this year, look out. You can visualize just how good it could be based on the number of quality offers we've already extended and some of the mutual interest with those respective recruits.

As long as we got this kid, and this staff... good things are bound to happen:

Eric White ‏@EricWhiteCuse
Anyone can join a dynasty but who wants to make one!? #OrangeRising #Cuse15

On signing day chilling with my guy @CoachGMcDonald and @dialcole13 #FriendsForLife

We've got over 10 offers out to kids in Florida, 6-8 out in NY and PA - those are likely kids that the staff has some type of connection too, leveraging the relationships.

Thing I'm most surprised about is the lack of offers out in IL and the number of offers all ready out to MD/DC/VA and the Carolina's. Looks like our focus May be shifting a bit - at least in the early stages.

We should be offering every blue chip in areas we recruit and at least find out if they're interested or not. If not, move on down the line. But we have to at least try.

We've got over 10 offers out to kids in Florida, 6-8 out in NY and PA - those are likely kids that the staff has some type of connection too, leveraging the relationships.

Thing I'm most surprised about is the lack of offers out in IL and the number of offers all ready out to MD/DC/VA and the Carolina's. Looks like our focus May be shifting a bit - at least in the early stages.

We should be offering every blue chip in areas we recruit and at least find out if they're interested or not. If not, move on down the line. But we have to at least try.

Give them a little time, I am sure Illinois is next.

In some reviews on Rivalz of our midwestern guys, the scouting guy that was talking about Illinois said that 2014 was a great year with top talent and depth, but 2015 seems like it will be weak. So take that into account

THIS current staff will continue to hammer SoFL, Illinois, PA, NY, GA and parts of NJ/Conn/DC. Stick with what works. Last year's class was a great success seeing we only went 6-6 in the regular season and got absolutely hammered by FSU, Clemson and GT.

If we can go 8-4 or better this year, look out. You can visualize just how good it could be based on the number of quality offers we've already extended and some of the mutual interest with those respective recruits.

As long as we got this kid, and this staff... good things are bound to happen:

Anyone can join a dynasty but who wants to make one!? #OrangeRising #Cuse15

On signing day chilling with my guy @CoachGMcDonald and @dialcole13 #FriendsForLife
Winning helps, yes, but not as much as you think. These kids today want the "in" thing (the practice facility is one of those!), stability in coaching, and a perceived notion that they are going to get a better chance in succeeding, beit in the NFL, a degree, whatever. If winning had any merit, how do you explain a Virginia landing a class like they did? They are absolutely pathetic, and really I don't see much hope for them next year either. Bottom line, it takes time, stability and trust for kids to want our program, especially top talent. We just got to hope we can keep our coaching staff together and continue building those high school relationships we need to start being more welcome name when we go after a top kid in an area we normally don't recruit much in. That is when we can say we turned the corner. Unfortunately, winning is a small part of that, short of really doing something special, knocking off some big boys and getting highly ranked down the road, an 8-4 season is just a piece of the puzzle is all. We need HCSS and his team doing exactly what they have been doing, as this class shows that it is starting to pay out in the type kids we are bringing in.

Winning helps, yes, but not as much as you think. These kids today want the "in" thing (the practice facility is one of those!), stability in coaching, and a perceived notion that they are going to get a better chance in succeeding, beit in the NFL, a degree, whatever. If winning had any merit, how do you explain a Virginia landing a class like they did? They are absolutely pathetic, and really I don't see much hope for them next year either. Bottom line, it takes time, stability and trust for kids to want our program, especially top talent. We just got to hope we can keep our coaching staff together and continue building those high school relationships we need to start being more welcome name when we go after a top kid in an area we normally don't recruit much in. That is when we can say we turned the corner. Unfortunately, winning is a small part of that, short of really doing something special, knocking off some big boys and getting highly ranked down the road, an 8-4 season is just a piece of the puzzle is all. We need HCSS and his team doing exactly what they have been doing, as this class shows that it is starting to pay out in the type kids we are bringing in.

Winning, in and of itself, may not be the primary factor, but it is right up there. I am even more certain that losing and not getting to bowl games is a major detriment to recruiting. Which is why getting to bowl was so important for SU this year. There will always be occasional exceptions, like Viriginia's class. But, kids want to be associated with winning. The other thing that happens in football, unlike any other major sport, is that when you are part of a losing team not only are you losing, but you are probably also getting your ass kicked physically in the process. Never a good thing.

Interesting side note about camps this year. The past few years the staff has held at least one camp in the NYC area. According to the camp schedule they are all being held on campus this year. So is this indicative that the staff doesn't plan on spending a lot of time recruiting NYC or more of if you are really interested you will make the effort to come to camp on campus.

image_handler.aspx

2014 Scott Shafer One Day Football Camps
Welcome! We are hosting several one day football camps at Syracuse University. These camps are designed for high school football student-athletes (entering grades 9-12) and will provide an opportunity for direct interaction with and instruction from the Syracuse coaching staff. We hope one of the dates will be convenient for you as you make your way through your camp circuit this summer.

** Please note there will not be an overnight/commuter camp in 2014.

2014 Camp Dates
Dates Registration TimeCamp Hours

Friday, June 13 6:30 to 7:00 pm 7:00 to 10:00 pm
Saturday, June 14 10:30 to 11:00 am 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
Friday, June 20 6:30 to 7:00 pm 7:00 to 10:00 pm
Saturday, June 21 10:30 to 11:00 am 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
Monday, June 23 3:30 to 4:00 pm 4:00 to 7:00 pm
Tuesday, June 24 3:30 to 4:00 pm 4:00 to 7:00 pm
Wednesday, June 25 3:30 to 4:00 pm 4:00 to 7:00 pm
Thursday, June 26 3:30 to 4:00 pm 4:00 to 7:00 pm

Last edited:
Interesting side note about camps this year. The past few years the staff has held at least one camp in the NYC area. According to the camp schedule they are all being held on campus this year. So is this indicative that the staff doesn't plan on spending a lot of time recruiting NYC or more of if you are really interested you will make the effort to come to camp on campus.

image_handler.aspx

2014 Scott Shafer One Day Football Camps
Welcome! We are hosting several one day football camps at Syracuse University. These camps are designed for high school football student-athletes (entering grades 9-12) and will provide an opportunity for direct interaction with and instruction from the Syracuse coaching staff. We hope one of the dates will be convenient for you as you make your way through your camp circuit this summer.

** Please note there will not be an overnight/commuter camp in 2014.

2014 Camp Dates
Dates Registration TimeCamp Hours

Friday, June 13 6:30 to 7:00 pm 7:00 to 10:00 pm
Saturday, June 14 10:30 to 11:00 am 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
Friday, June 20 6:30 to 7:00 pm 7:00 to 10:00 pm
Saturday, June 21 10:30 to 11:00 am 11:00 am to 2:00 pm
Monday, June 23 3:30 to 4:00 pm 4:00 to 7:00 pm
Tuesday, June 24 3:30 to 4:00 pm 4:00 to 7:00 pm
Wednesday, June 25 3:30 to 4:00 pm 4:00 to 7:00 pm
Thursday, June 26 3:30 to 4:00 pm 4:00 to 7:00 pm

I wonder if that is the definitive list or just the on campus ones.

I wonder if that is the definitive list or just the on campus ones.

So far they are the only ones listed on the athletic site. Only other available weekend not listed is the first weekend in June.

Last edited:
Perhaps these 4-5 star guys have been extended offers because they fit perfectly into Coach Bullough's/McDonald's defensive and offensive schemes. (As opposed to giving blanket offers to highly rated recruits) Some kids may have roots from up north or even central NY and been targeted as a result. Plenty of transplants nationwide. And of course, there's the possibility of immediate playing time at very specific positions, and that's always attractive to the best players. Whatever the rationale, these offers are a glorious change from the concerns we had last year at this time.

Arthur Jones ‏@Artj97 Feb 8
@Coach_Shafer I'm super excited about the '14 Syracuse football signing class. A great complement to the talent that's already there.

Coach Scott Shafer ‏@Coach_Shafer Feb 8
@Artj97 Hopefully there is the next Arthur Jones in the class! #cusefam

Arthur Jones ‏@Artj97 Feb 9
@Coach_Shafer I hope so also. Potential is the biggest thing to waste. See ya Monday coach! It's good to be home!! :) #cusefam#teamorange

So far, I have only seen a couple of offers to NY kids. (Wheatley and Dubose) Anyone hear any different? I know its early, but HCSS said we were going after 7/8 or so kids last year from NY and hitting them hard early, so was just wondering if there are more offers out there for NY kids then what I see.

I've got a friend in Texas who sent me this. It's very interesting to see how and where Texas recruits vs what we have to do. That Dallas to Houston east Texas corridor is crazy talented and they never have to leave their backyard to pull in top classes. I know they're competing against a lot of other programs but it must be nice to have such a defined recruiting territory.
http://texags.com/Stories/12862/a-visual-study-of-texas-ams-2014-recruiting-class

Yep, and it doesn't end with Seniors. A&M has had the top Texas Junior running back (from Katy, TX just outside of Houston) committed since the beginning of the school year.

So far, I have only seen a couple of offers to NY kids. (Wheatley and Dubose) Anyone hear any different? I know its early, but HCSS said we were going after 7/8 or so kids last year from NY and hitting them hard early, so was just wondering if there are more offers out there for NY kids then what I see.
I'm guessing there might be two or three that aren't on the big radar screen yet. When word gets out we are interested watch Notre Dame and Rutgers come sniffing around like they usually do.

the talent was better last year.

Perhaps these 4-5 star guys have been extended offers because they fit perfectly into Coach Bullough's/McDonald's defensive and offensive schemes. (As opposed to giving blanket offers to highly rated recruits) Some kids may have roots from up north or even central NY and been targeted as a result. Plenty of transplants nationwide. And of course, there's the possibility of immediate playing time at very specific positions, and that's always attractive to the best players. Whatever the rationale, these offers are a glorious change from the concerns we had last year at this time.

Here is a list of the top seniors from the class of 2014 from New York State and where they ended up:

• Sean Christie, OL, Patchogue-Medford (Maryland)
  • Tarique Cole, OL, Long Beach (Rutgers)
  • Malik Crossdale, RB, Fordham Prep (Army)
  • Hayden Grover, Spencer-Van Etten (Akron) *
  • Jay Hayes, DL, Poly Prep (Notre Dame)
  • Tyler Hill. TE, St. Joe's (Cincinnati) *
  • Thomas Holley, DL, Abraham Lincoln (Florida)
  • Naesean Howard, RB, West Genesee (Syracuse)
  • Will Mahar, K, McQuaid (Boston College) *
  • Eric Margolis, LB, Clarkstown South (Rutgers)
  • Mike Martin, RB, Pine Bush (Navy)
  • Pete Mokowuah, DL, St. Joe's by the Sea (Notre Dame)
  • James Munson, DB, Tottenville (Navy)
  • Myles Nicholas, LB, Irondequoit (Buffalo)
  • Justin Noye, WR, Rochester East (Old Dominion)
  • James O'Hagan, OL, Seaford (Buffalo)
  • Qadree Ollison, RB, Canisius (Pittsburgh)
  • Charlie Rist, LB, Aquinas (Penn State) *
  • Caleb Robbins, K, Fairport (Akron) *
  • Curtis Samuel, WR, Erasmus Hall (Ohio State)
  • August Schwartzmeier, OL, Hilton (Buffalo)
  • Charlie Shuman, OL, Pittsford (Penn State) *
  • Augie Touris, DL, Canisius (Texas-El Paso)
  • Jacquis Webb, OT, Gates Chili (Rutgers)
  • Jalen Williams, S, Newburgh (Pittsburgh)
  • J.R. Zazzara, QB, Syracuse CBA (Buffalo)
It was a good class, lots of talent. Western NY again did really well and Long Island had a good year providing prospects, much better than they have recently.

Margolis was a C lister Rutgers offered late to help fill out their decimated class. He fits right in with Tarique Cole (385 pounds; Mitch Browning is going to love him) and Jacquis Webb, two players no other P5 school offered.

Keep on eye on Will Mahar, who is walking on at BC. He was highly regarded, it will be interesting to see if he ends up making an impact there.

I agree the 2015 class for NYS will not be nearly as strong. Wheatley looks like the only clear cut national recruit right now.

Here is a list of the top seniors from the class of 2014 from New York State and where they ended up:

• Sean Christie, OL, Patchogue-Medford (Maryland)
  • Tarique Cole, OL, Long Beach (Rutgers)
  • Malik Crossdale, RB, Fordham Prep (Army)
  • Hayden Grover, Spencer-Van Etten (Akron) *
  • Jay Hayes, DL, Poly Prep (Notre Dame)
  • Tyler Hill. TE, St. Joe's (Cincinnati) *
  • Thomas Holley, DL, Abraham Lincoln (Florida)
  • Naesean Howard, RB, West Genesee (Syracuse)
  • Will Mahar, K, McQuaid (Boston College) *
  • Eric Margolis, LB, Clarkstown South (Rutgers)
  • Mike Martin, RB, Pine Bush (Navy)
  • Pete Mokowuah, DL, St. Joe's by the Sea (Notre Dame)
  • James Munson, DB, Tottenville (Navy)
  • Myles Nicholas, LB, Irondequoit (Buffalo)
  • Justin Noye, WR, Rochester East (Old Dominion)
  • James O'Hagan, OL, Seaford (Buffalo)
  • Qadree Ollison, RB, Canisius (Pittsburgh)
  • Charlie Rist, LB, Aquinas (Penn State) *
  • Caleb Robbins, K, Fairport (Akron) *
  • Curtis Samuel, WR, Erasmus Hall (Ohio State)
  • August Schwartzmeier, OL, Hilton (Buffalo)
  • Charlie Shuman, OL, Pittsford (Penn State) *
  • Augie Touris, DL, Canisius (Texas-El Paso)
  • Jacquis Webb, OT, Gates Chili (Rutgers)
  • Jalen Williams, S, Newburgh (Pittsburgh)
  • J.R. Zazzara, QB, Syracuse CBA (Buffalo)
It was a good class, lots of talent. Western NY again did really well and Long Island had a good year providing prospects, much better than they have recently.

Margolis was a C lister Rutgers offered late to help fill out their decimated class. He fits right in with Tarique Cole (385 pounds; Mitch Browning is going to love him) and Jacquis Webb, two players no other P5 school offered.

Keep on eye on Will Mahar, who is walking on at BC. He was highly regarded, it will be interesting to see if he ends up making an impact there.

I agree the 2015 class for NYS will not be nearly as strong. Wheatley looks like the only clear cut national recruit right now.

Great list...
SU is becoming inconsequential in NYS. My buddy is HC at a high school in a Rochester suburb, gets no love from the CUSE.. Has sent several kids to D-1 (including ND) in the last few years...

Great list...
SU is becoming inconsequential in NYS. My buddy is HC at a high school in a Rochester suburb, gets no love from the CUSE.. Has sent several kids to D-1 (including ND) in the last few years...
Does your buddy reach out to Cuse at all?

What do you think our chances are with Dubose or Wheatley?

Dubose doesn't have an offer as of now with the current staff. Everyone knows Wheatley is going to be a big challenge, but I ultimately think we will come up short. Would be a huge get though.

**This next part has nothing to do with SU, but really interesting**

I know everyone was very excited about the offer to Bryce Love (Running back from Wake Forest, NC), but he's not the best Running Back in the state of North Carolina. About an hour east is the home of Princeton, North Carolina. My best friend, who was the offensive coordinator of my previous school I coached at, is coaching there now. He has a running back by the name of Johnny Fraiser. He's a straight up hoss. 5'11, 210, and runs a legit 4.43 40. He's a weight room warrior and has such a promising career ahead of this kid. I got to see him work out yesterday and came away with this tidbit. He has been rumored to be a UNC lean, but received a phone call from none other than Nick Saban yesterday during the workout. He ended up getting offered by Alabama and the kid became elated. Have to think Tuscaloosa is in the lead for his services now. If you get a chance, watch this cat's highlight film. He ran for over 3,000 yards last year.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/o/1634600/highlights/116541375

What do you think our chances are with Dubose or Wheatley?
Chances with Wheatley? Probably same as our chances with Holley.

And as Agent Bauer said Dubose doesn't have an offer.