Recruiting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting

I agree although some people like Bnoro here think that the star system is completely meritless. Trust Duggie they say!

I love that you make this sound like such a baseless theory while simultaneously subscribing to a system that hires guys that want to get into journalism and then suddenly proclaim to know the difference between the 24th best OLB in the country and the 38th OLB in the country. Oh and one is from Calif. while the other is from Fla.

Stars matter to some degree, but I tend to believe they follow winning more than predict it. None of these sites was giving glowing reviews to TCU or Boise or the like before they were beating the oklahomas of the world.

The bottom line is for us to get better, we have to upgrade our recruiting. Everyone keeps saying that we're getting 2 star players who we can coach up to be good BCS players. That's garbage. That's like saying if Boeheim signed only 2 and 3 star players he could coach them up to be a top ten team. The reason we have been consistently in the top 10 for the past couple of years is that we started getting 5 star players with a couple of 4 stars sprinkled in. If you haven't noticed, the best teams in football also get all of the 4 abnd 5 star players. There is no secret to winning. GET TALENT! We haven't finished in the top half of the Big East in recruiting since Doug got here. If that doesn't change, and this year's class will not be in the top half, he isn't long at SU. I don't care how much everyone likes him. I wish him the best, but he has to start getting better players. Everyone, not in the top 30 are looking for diamonds in the rough. There are only so many and Doug is getting all of them.

This is a great post. We need to find someone who can recruit. How about Charlie Weis? His last five classes were ranked: 8th, 8th, 2nd, 21st, 14th? Oh, but he's surely a head coach at that school with a perennially ranked top 15 program, right? I have an idea -- a little more under the radar. RON ZOOK! He took a completely undistinguished program in Ilinois and put up four straight top 35 recruiting classes from 06-09. But damn, he's probably about to win a national title at Illinois, so I guess that won't work. But let's at least find someone in that mold. Any chance we can steal Schiano from Rutgers or coax Wanny back to the Big East?

Doesn't the star system seem to support Marrone's eye for talent though? The last two years a lot of 2-star and NR kids have seen their rating jump quite highly over the course of the year. If we are going to base his recruiting success on the lack of 4-stars, shouldn't he at least be getting credit for finding the three-stars?

Overall, I don't like the star system because it measures kids from the most basic level possible, and without a lot of good comparative reasoning. Just because a kid is a four star recruit doesn't mean he will play like a 4-star recruit in THAT teams system. When fans create a "draft board" that evaluates every kid in respect to their fit with Syracuse, I think you will see a much more forgiving "rating."

Im sorry but i dont agree with you at all. Mack has limited what we can do. In addition he has had to have help either in max protect or shading. Lets hope he bulks up and adds strength.
DID YOU READ MY POST? I never said anything about him being good in our offense. I said he could maybe be above average. It was his first year starting for us. Why don't you get back to concentrating on that stud JUCO running back.

That is not what I expected. :noidea:Hope Lyn comes back and we can have some great corners. So Shamarko and Wilkes/Desir at FS?
My ideal backfield for next year would be Eskeridge as CB1, Lyn as CB2, George/Reddish as CB3, with Shamarko at SS. FS is a push because I've heard great things about Desir in practice but not sure if he is a major upgrade over Wilkes. We'll see.

My ideal backfield for next year would be Eskeridge as CB1, Lyn as CB2, George/Reddish as CB3, with Shamarko at SS. FS is a push because I've heard great things about Desir in practice but not sure if he is a major upgrade over Wilkes. We'll see.

Think Desir is better athlete than Wilkes so would rather have him start but it should be extremely athletic either way! Probably the best its been since Gregory/Smith. Thanks for the info bnoro!
appreciated a ton man! great poster.

DID YOU READ MY POST? I never said anything about him being good in our offense. I said he could maybe be above average. It was his first year starting for us. Why don't you get back to concentrating on that stud JUCO running back.
Chill out bnoro above average to most means good. My point is that Mack is way below average and is a weak link. Also lets hope that we can close on a good RB because we are are as thin as cheese cloth at the position. Gully who may not come back and is injury prone. Smith and AM who are very raw at best. Yes i was hoping we would go the Juco route to shore up a major weakness.

I would take that in a heartbeat. Give Whigham a RS year, and you pretty much set yourself up for a six year stretch of having at least one 6+ foot CB, and for four or five of those years, we could have featured 2. Nice. If we can land Morgan he could be a perfect compliment as a nickel guy... stout and athletic, he could give us a lot of versatility and that could be one hell of a three-man unit.

Boise State does not get 4 star players you can coach these guys up. My biggest qustion this year is why the coaches could not get those guys to play like the did for WV again last season.

What do you do with Morgan? Wouldn't he start from day 1? Don't think he would come here for a red shirt? Or are you implying that he is not coming?

Chill out bnoro above average to most means good. My point is that Mack is way below average and is a weak link. Also lets hope that we can close on a good RB because we are are as thin as cheese cloth at the position. Gully who may not come back and is injury prone. Smith and AM who are very raw at best. Yes i was hoping we would go the Juco route to shore up a major weakness.
Gully might not come back??? Where did you hear this?

DE certainly has the talent to play CB and we may very well need him there. If he doesn't win a CB spot in the Spring, I see him replacing PT. b, I agree with you here, he'll be worked at CB. One of the better 'steals' of last year's class.

What do you do with Morgan? Wouldn't he start from day 1? Don't think he would come here for a red shirt? Or are you implying that he is not coming?

Morgan is down to us and UCon. From what I have read, he has the physical skills to play at this level, he just may need a little time in the system before he is ready to start or see time on a consistent basis. Same as most of the kids coming out of NYC. They are athletic enough to play at this level, but need a year or two to develop their football skills. If he comes here, I wouldn't be surprised to see him RS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom