Recruiting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting

Come on right back at you. You played sports in HS, didn't you? You make lifelong friendships with kids you played sports with.
By the way, we've had players from the same school (or the same AAU team) on the SU team many times over the years.

This may be a newsflash to you, but kids like to play on teams with other kids they know (HS or AAU) who are good.

If Bryant thought he had a better chance with the NBA at Indiana I doubt his 2 year friendship with Chinoso would have any baring where he is going to school.

Great players do like playing together, Chinoso wasn't even that great in high school.

Didn't have room for Huerter and asked him to prep for a year. He didn't want to wait and committed to Maryland in Sept 2015.

Malachi ended up leaving after 1 year and there would have been room for him after all.

I get it, but we recruited 2 guys that ended up playing for a season each, one was awful and had very little basketball skill. That's not a recruting miss? Could've had KH instead of Moyer. Im not hammering the staff for the miss, I'm just saying we could have had him if we wanted. We chose others instead.

I get it, but we recruited 2 guys that ended up playing for a season each, one was awful and had very little basketball skill. That's not a recruting miss? Could've had KH instead of Moyer. Im not hammering the staff for the miss, I'm just saying we could have had him if we wanted. We chose others instead.

We could have had Kyle Lowry instead of Josh Wright.

Stuff happens.

We could have had Kyle Lowry instead of Josh Wright.

Stuff happens.

Not saying it doesn't. But this thread isnt here on accident. We've had some bad recruting classes compared to our normal standards but they get fluffed as if we have a top 10 class that just is extremely underrated, it's not the case.

100% accurate. Fact is, we asked him to prep for a year, so he wasn't valued (at the time) as much as others. Otherwise, especially in hindsight, SU would've made room for him somehow.

Not saying it doesn't. But this thread isnt here on accident. We've had some bad recruting classes compared to our normal standards but they get fluffed as if we have a top 10 class that just is extremely underrated, it's not the case.

Yeah, well...when you add a Keith Van Horn like prospect, it tends to smooth over all the rough edges.

Yeah, well...when you add a Keith Van Horn like prospect, it tends to smooth over all the rough edges.

Marek is a fine player if he was the 7th guy on our bench. 7 years ago we had a mcdonalds all American riding the pine.

Last edited:
The further we get away from the sanctions the further we get from the reality of the sanctions.
source.gif

I think JB's energy level at a certain point, when Mike was in-waiting and the clock was ticking on his career, JB stopped working so hard at recruiting, and Mike kind of checked out his last year. He was not working the recruiting circuit that hard.

Then there was the famous viral photo of JB sleeping at an AAU event. That must have been sent around thousands of times to our prospects. JB may not do social media, but as we can tell from the football side of the house, the players certainly do.

I think that once Mike left, and then Jimmy went to Cornell and played in the Dome, and Buddy did so well at prep school and came to play for his dad, I think those those really got JB's juices flowing again.
I just dont understand how this could happen when hes married to Julie. His juice flow should be through the roof. Totally unacceptable!

Yeah, i love Marek for what he is.

I just like to bring that Keith Van Horn thing up whenever I can, as I know you do as well.

It is one of my favorite things ever posted and I just it out often. The freshman Frank Howard's mythical superman VISION was good too. I never saw it and wondered how people saw his vision around here.

I don’t know...several had the story on Huerter, and it sounded like he would’ve been Orange if we had another ‘ship.

I don’t think BJ leaving was unrelated to the sanctions either. But I also forget the details there. Many here know that one though.

Didn't have room for Huerter and asked him to prep for a year. He didn't want to wait and committed to Maryland in Sept 2015.

Malachi ended up leaving after 1 year and there would have been room for him after all.

Andrew White ended up with the slot.
Glad you pointed this out about Huerter. Actually Kaleb Joseph left too after that 2016 season. When we wouldn’t offer Huerter (without asking him to prep for a year), I thought it was a mistake. The coaches should have predicted/assumed we’d lose Mali or another player to draft declaration or at least one player to transfer. Losing any of guys early would’ve allowed us room for Huerter, even with the scholarship restrictions. And actually, both of those things happened—Mali went pro and Kaleb Joseph transferred. I always maintained they should have known we’d lose guys early, like we do every single year. We ended up needing to bring in two grad transfers—White and Gillon to compensate for the losses. And we got lucky with White. He didn’t enter the transfer market til the end of June.

Last edited:
Excellent post. I really hope we land Jackson. But if not, I’d be thrilled if we were able to pull in Benny Williams early for the 2021 class (like we did with Goodine in this class). Hop was the master at getting kids like Mali and Lydon and MCW to sign up early, by the fall of their junior years. It really helps build momentum on the recruiting trail.

if our class consisted of Woody Newton and Benny Williams we wouldn't need a pronunciation guide video.

Moyer committed really early, the summer after his sophomore year/before his junior year. So he was in the fold a year before Huerter blew up in the AAU circuit. Moyer was also a top 60 ranked recruit and we needed forwards, so at the time it seemed like a good get.

Could you elaborate on the crippling nature of the sanctions? I don't remember all the details now, but I remember the main thing being that we couldn't be out on the recruiting trail as much, therefore limiting the amount of relationship-building we could do with recruits. Was there other stuff too?

Don't forget the aftermath: we have to be careful not to get in any more trouble so we have to double down on not violating any rules for years after that. We may steer away from prospects who want more than that.

The best teams are made up primarily of those 40-100 guys that stay four years. You need to sprinkle a couple top 30 guys though to hold it all together.

We've been victims of our success where our 40-100 guys jump into the draft .

That's our big issue. Guys who would make great 3-4 year players leave after 1-2 years.

Beats me, but we had to run some guys off that we had taken flyers on.

"Running guys off"is a loaded phrase. If you have an in depth conversation with a player outlining his potential for playing time in the future or even suggesting other schools that might be interested in him and let him make the decision, I don't think that's running people off, (and I think that is what JB does). To me, "running players off" means you do everything you can to make it uncomfortable for them to be here to try to force them to transfer and free up that scholarship. I don't believe JB does that.

Using my phone. Could care less :rolleyes:

I'll give it a shot.

"It's more about comparing our recruiting to other programs. I could actually care less about Tennessee. There's just always so much talk about our recruiting and falling off etc and was wondering what some thought about some coaches/programs having a uptick in recruiting while we seem to be trending the other way. I should also note that I'm not one that's super down on us and I think we have brought in some really nice players that are underrated (Canada kids) as we can already see with Quincy being mentioned as a first rounder.

Still a bit frustrating that we have had some trouble closing on some high end talent the past few years. It wasn't that long ago that we were able to recruit how we are now but sprinkle in a high end 5 star talent with the rest of the class. Now we are struggling to land those type of kids that can help elevate our program from middle of the pack acc to top 3 of the pack and a good tournament seed.

Like I mentioned in the Isaiah thread, Bazley would of been one of those kids to help us out and ease the frustration a bit but we all know how that played out. We keep getting into the top 3 or top 5 of some of these kids and not closing. There are so many different reasons for kids choosing programs other then ours and it's been talked about over and over again. Some kids we were never getting but others we have a chance and cant close and then we have all kinds of excuses/reasons as to why.

It's essentially a sales pitch and we are not closing the deal on some of these kids. Isaiah Jackson would be one of these kids who could help elevate our program. Top 25 kid with 'Bama perceived as the leader. I realize we lose out on recruits all the time to all sorts of programs but when we are down to a head to head battle for a kid against a program that's not a blue blood and has a new coach in his first year of power 5 play we should close on a kid like that. It's a sales pitch and we need to land recruits like this every so often.

Maybe it's just the orange colored glasses but that's how I feel. I'm not one that bashes the program or a major downer so please don't even come at me with that. Just talking recruiting and what it seems like has been going the past few years and how it goes hand in hand with the results we have had on the court. Sanctions hurt and Hop leaving didn't help. Would love to see us land Isaiah along with Richmond and Newton. All signs point to a few early departures next year so our scholarship situation should work out."

We need some of the recruting mojo that the women's program has right now. Coach Q just pulled in the 5th ranked player in the country to go along with the 11th ranked player in the country. Both 5 star recruits to go along with a 4 star and a few others. That guy is killing it right now. Women heading in the right direction! Impressive.

We need some of the recruting mojo that the women's program has right now. Coach Q just pulled in the 5th ranked player in the country to go along with the 11th ranked player in the country. Both 5 star recruits to go along with a 4 star and a few others. That guy is killing it right now. Women heading in the right direction! Impressive

Our Mojo is now on the west coast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom