Class of 2015 - Recruits and Offers | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Recruits and Offers

Yes but at ESPN, they don't hand out star rankings until the recruit has been assessed. If he hasn't been assessed, then he stays at NR. 247 does exactly the same thing. Their model is exactly the model I wish Rivals and Scout would adopt.
ESPN will expidite recruited players who have comitted, but you are right, they evaluate per the schedule and hence why so many on some of these sites are NR. I personally think Rivals and Scouts rate too quickly in the game, but it is what it is. No way any one site can immediately have a full evaluation of every possible recruit, and I don't care what anyone says, the same recruit rated here as a 3 star miraculously becomes a 4 star when Alabama comes calling, just an example, so I take any rating by anybody with a grain of salt, 2 if they are self proclaimed by some of us on this site! ;)

So I have a simple question for anyone who has reservations about the collection of verbals we have lined up. Not stirring the pot, an honest question.

McDonald made some noise in a short period of time after he was hired that first season. Last year we obviously had a very nice class, with some guys who are going to be tremendous players pretty soon. Slayton, Ishmael, Williams, etc. Guys who had really good offers and interest levels.

We just hired two guys who can recruit and are already pulling their weight, so results should be even better this year. Why are you nervous, then? What possible motive could the staff have for taking a step back in recruiting and "settling" for a class mostly made up of guys less impressive than the ones they managed to sign last year?

I don't want to rehash whether the prospects have as many offers, etc. Let's assume that they are indeed a less impressive collection of prospects. So why is the staff doing it?

So I have a simple question for anyone who has reservations about the collection of verbals we have lined up. Not stirring the pot, an honest question.

McDonald made some noise in a short period of time after he was hired that first season. Last year we obviously had a very nice class, with some guys who are going to be tremendous players pretty soon. Slayton, Ishmael, Williams, etc. Guys who had really good offers and interest levels.

We just hired two guys who can recruit and are already pulling their weight, so results should be even better this year. Why are you nervous, then? What possible motive could the staff have for taking a step back in recruiting and "settling" for a class mostly made up of guys less impressive than the ones they managed to sign last year?

I don't want to rehash whether the prospects have as many offers, etc. Let's assume that they are indeed a less impressive collection of prospects. So why is the staff doing it?
PROZAC

Possibly to fill the class based on needs and not stars so they can focus on 2016 recruits and beyond.

Because this year they can, where last year they couldn't.

Just spent the past couple of hours reviewing 247 recruiting classes for SU going back as far as 1999. The following were the results, although a disclaimer or two. I don't think 1999 figures are accurate although there were a number of notable player in that class and it was probably top 25 . Otherwise, they gave 5 stars to Averill Collins, Marcus Sales, and Andrey Baskins, and there were several 4 stars in the GRob years as well. One other thing, it seems that the avg. per player number (which I moved 2 decimal points to the left) was inflated in the more recent years.

Nat. rank ACC rank avg. per player
1999 1 1 70.00
2000 18 3 71.98
2001 29 5 71.46
2002 not available
2003 55 12 79.13
2004 58 11 77.70
2005 64 13 79.38
2006 58 11 79.51
2007 51 12 80.56
2008 46 10 83.06
2009 103 14 77.60
20010 69 13 81.51
2011 60 10 80.69
2012 61 11 80.81
2013 73 12 81.28
2014 50 10 83.26
2015 31 7 81.72

Some final comments: The present rank of 31 I think has something to do with the number of verbals we have, since the majority of schools have a lower number of commits. As other schools get more commits that may change the numbers. However, when our recruits play their senior seasons, that may well effect the final numbers also. I think we have more talent than we are presently being given credit for. I was surprised that there were several NFL players that were only given 2 stars over the years. Last but not least, I think there is a progressive movement upward in the talent level we are bringing in and we are headed in the right direction... even by the numbers.

Just spent the past couple of hours reviewing 247 recruiting classes for SU going back as far as 1999. The following were the results, although a disclaimer or two. I don't think 1999 figures are accurate although there were a number of notable player in that class and it was probably top 25 . Otherwise, they gave 5 stars to Averill Collins, Marcus Sales, and Andrey Baskins, and there were several 4 stars in the GRob years as well. One other thing, it seems that the avg. per player number (which I moved 2 decimal points to the left) was inflated in the more recent years.

Nat. rank ACC rank avg. per player
1999 1 1 70.00
2000 18 3 71.98
2001 29 5 71.46
2002 not available
2003 55 12 79.13
2004 58 11 77.70
2005 64 13 79.38
2006 58 11 79.51
2007 51 12 80.56
2008 46 10 83.06
2009 103 14 77.60
20010 69 13 81.51
2011 60 10 80.69
2012 61 11 80.81
2013 73 12 81.28
2014 50 10 83.26
2015 31 7 81.72

Some final comments: The present rank of 31 I think has something to do with the number of verbals we have, since the majority of schools have a lower number of commits. As other schools get more commits that may change the numbers. However, when our recruits play their senior seasons, that may well effect the final numbers also. I think we have more talent than we are presently being given credit for. I was surprised that there were several NFL players that were only given 2 stars over the years. Last but not least, I think there is a progressive movement upward in the talent level we are bringing in and we are headed in the right direction... even by the numbers.

Was 247 even around during those years or did they just retroactively do this? I thought they were a relatively new site.

Was 247 even around during those years or did they just retroactively do this? I thought they were a relatively new site.
Pretty sure that's their composite ranking from all the sites, they didn't retroactively go back and rate the players themselves.

Yeah, what I like about it, and likely the more current lists have the same info, but if you click on their name then click on the top 50 recruit profile article, it has a nice write up of each kid.

Provided we keep everyone we have verbals from, how many more do we take and who are the most likely candidates? What positions still present a need?

Stephen Bailey@Stephen_Bailey1 · 11h
FWIW: I heard Syracuse was aiming for three more commits in the C/O 2015. There are variables that could change that, though.

FWIW: I heard Syracuse was aiming for three more commits in the C/O 2015. There are variables that could change that, though.

I can't imagine bringing in a seven player class. Talk about imbalanced.

But I am curious about who the third player is [assuming Jones / Bryant are the other two].

sounds like something Orangefizz would say not Bailey I highly doubt we take 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! Wanted to branch out to the casual recruiting fan and Sean gave me the opportunity to write over there. Nothing there will be too different from the info we discuss here but it's moreso for those that aren't as diehard as us.

Also tweeting from the new @NunesRecruiting account so give it a follow if you're so inclined.

Already following... just don't stop sharing here.

Thanks! Wanted to branch out to the casual recruiting fan and Sean gave me the opportunity to write over there. Nothing there will be too different from the info we discuss here but it's moreso for those that aren't as diehard as us.

Also tweeting from the new @NunesRecruiting account so give it a follow if you're so inclined.

Nice summary -- thanks for writing it! There's so much information all over this board that it can be good to see it simplified in an article to show the bigger picture.

I wonder if that's 3 including Ellison or 3 plus Ellison, really meaning 4.