Red herring alert | Syracusefan.com

Red herring alert

Don

2nd String
To say if the "NFL calls you go" is not true not by a long shot. It depends on what your looking for and what type of person you are and how happy you are at your current job. The facts at least for this year do not support the NFL calls you go.

Look four bigger name c0llege coaches got serious looks from the NFL. Three of them stayed at there current college job. I suspect the only one who was actually using the NFL to get a better contract at college was Kelly of Notre Dame. I think Penn state stepped up and made it worth while to keep their coach and I think Kelly of Oregon thought at least for now he was better at Oregon..

The simple fact is Marrone was going back to the NFL come hell or high water. I suspect there were a lot of reasons for that but he was going if the worst team in the NFL offered . He is going to try and hire who is best for him come hello or high water. he wants to succeed at Buffalo he has a bigger bank than SU. If some of the coaches end up there its because they want the NFL and the money. Some coaches like where they are and it would take a team of horses dragging them away to go.

We still don't have confirmation on anybody but Hacket, i suspect more will go elsewhere because they want to. some follow the dream, some follow the money, some think its a better place for their family. what Shafer is right if they don't want to be here then let them go. if they believe they have a better offer to go elsewhere then so be it. It must be all in for the coaches and players that are here

To say if the "NFL calls you go" is not true not by a long shot. It depends on what your looking for and what type of person you are and how happy you are at your current job. The facts at least for this year do not support the NFL calls you go.

Look four bigger name c0llege coaches got serious looks from the NFL. Three of them stayed at there current college job. I suspect the only one who was actually using the NFL to get a better contract at college was Kelly of Notre Dame. I think Penn state stepped up and made it worth while to keep their coach and I think Kelly of Oregon thought at least for now he was better at Oregon..

The simple fact is Marrone was going back to the NFL come hell or high water. I suspect there were a lot of reasons for that but he was going if the worst team in the NFL offered . He is going to try and hire who is best for him come hello or high water. he wants to succeed at Buffalo he has a bigger bank than SU. If some of the coaches end up there its because they want the NFL and the money. Some coaches like where they are and it would take a team of horses dragging them away to go.

We still don't have confirmation on anybody but Hacket, i suspect more will go elsewhere because they want to. some follow the dream, some follow the money, some think its a better place for their family. what Shafer is right if they don't want to be here then let them go. if they believe they have a better offer to go elsewhere then so be it. It must be all in for the coaches and players that are here

I agree, good post.

Ped State, Oregon and ND all stepped up to keep their coach. Hearing all i do (on the board) about SU's budget makes me wonder if it was all about Marrone's desire to go back to the NFL.

Thus, if the NFL calls you go.

It is a better job in so many aspects ... period

Maybe not having to recruit 24/7/365 appeals to some of these coaches. :noidea:

I think the college coaches who do turn down NFL jobs are those who have reached the point where they don't need to be directly involved in the recruiting process to the extent that Marrone had to be.

Ped State, Oregon and ND all stepped up to keep their coach. Hearing all i do (on the board) about SU's budget makes me wonder if it was all about Marrone's desire to go back to the NFL.

I hadn't heard that nd and Oregon stepped up. What exactly did they do to step up?

Maybe the 18 million dollar buy out kept Penn states coach in college.

I hadn't heard that nd and Oregon stepped up. What exactly did they do to step up?
ND and BK are currently negotiation an extension and raise. I'm pretty sure Oregon did what they could to keep Chip.

Maybe not having to recruit 24/7/365 appeals to some of these coaches. :noidea:
Then again, NFL camps start in July, and if your team is in the playoffs, runs through January.
Compared with the college season (Aug - Dec, + spring camp) that's a pretty short off-season.

Then again, NFL camps start in July, and if your team is in the playoffs, runs through January.
Compared with the college season (Aug - Dec, + spring camp) that's a pretty short off-season.

True.

But he signed up to coach the Bills. He'll be enjoying much lengthier off-seasons. ; )

Don't forget the combine and the draft.

If you don't think Chip Kelly used this as leverage, you are sorely mistaken.

Comparing Marrone's situations to those other 3 coaches' is laughable.

Not even remotely close to being in the same boat.

actually what is laughable is that you or I proclaiming they know for sure what a coaches motivation is or was when looking for a job. what we know for a fact is that Marrone left for another job and the other coaches did not those are the facts and they are not disputable.

I hope Marrone goes to the playoffs in his first year and is coach of the year. I wish him total success he did a super job here. I hope coach Shafer also takes the ACC buy storm, with coaches and players that are here because they want to be.

Oregon. Penn St. Notre Dame. Syracuse. One doesn't belong. You don't turn down the NFL to stay at Syracuse. Sorry everybody.

Oregon. Penn St. Notre Dame. Syracuse. One doesn't belong. You don't turn down the NFL to stay at Syracuse. Sorry everybody.

I'm not so sure they turned down the NFL - sometimes these guys know they are not going to get the job and try to save face with the fan base and players. It's how you get to come back as a hero (and sometimes with a sweeter deal in your back pocket).

Do either of the Kelly's have any NFL experience? O'Brien has a huge buyout as someone has said along with the fact that he has only been at PSU for 1 year and maybe that too played a part in his decision. I try to look at each case or example and not just group them together and throw out a blanket statement as a one size fits all. I think the NFL was still in Dougs blood and he got the love from the NFL and decided to leave. I don't know what happened behind the scenes at SU and if that played a part in this or how much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom