Red's Postgame Presser | Colgate | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Red's Postgame Presser | Colgate

People need to pay attention. Red's talking xs and os in that presser and being generous with the detail while having coach speak too. There are too many people here who don't grasp the elements of coaching and putting a team and new system together in such a short period of time. Listen to him point out that he's seeing the same things but he has to manage all the elements of the team including player growth and working together.

The second half showed growth for the team and Red. Pay attention to the trend line and the trajectory not the expectations. There are ample professional sports where a talented team of young players takes a while.

We are seeing guys improve and seeing others work through their growth as young players. It's a process and it's a shame people can't understand that.

There are some concerns and they are well discussed on here. The bashing of some players of not being quite as good in game 3 vs game 1 is silly. It's like some have never played the game either. This was a good presser and if you are paying attention you should see how much Red is growing into his role and how well he understands the game. He is just working to get the kids to understand what it takes and how to approach it too.

For those worried a great deal about his coaching watch some of these other new coaches who have struggled over the years at their pressers. You can spot a coach who knows his team and the game vs those that don't.
Great post!

The players need to bring it no matter what, but I wonder if some of the lack of energy is coming from the dome being so cavernous. There was hardly any buzz for the first two and a half games. Hopefully a change of scenery along with what might be the most stacked Maui field ever does them some good long-term. If we can pull a stunner or two even better.

Don't think it's a reach to say a certain someone at IMG right now would be the best forward on this roster...
Maybe, yes (that would be great), maybe not. Live in and enjoy the moment

People need to pay attention. Red's talking xs and os in that presser and being generous with the detail while having coach speak too. There are too many people here who don't grasp the elements of coaching and putting a team and new system together in such a short period of time. Listen to him point out that he's seeing the same things but he has to manage all the elements of the team including player growth and working together.

The second half showed growth for the team and Red. Pay attention to the trend line and the trajectory not the expectations. There are ample professional sports where a talented team of young players takes a while.

We are seeing guys improve and seeing others work through their growth as young players. It's a process and it's a shame people can't understand that.

There are some concerns and they are well discussed on here. The bashing of some players of not being quite as good in game 3 vs game 1 is silly. It's like some have never played the game either. This was a good presser and if you are paying attention you should see how much Red is growing into his role and how well he understands the game. He is just working to get the kids to understand what it takes and how to approach it too.

For those worried a great deal about his coaching watch some of these other new coaches who have struggled over the years at their pressers. You can spot a coach who knows his team and the game vs those that don't.
Great post

Preach!

Well said and spot on. It’s a totally different system and while he got some talent from the portal, we also whiffed on keeping a key piece that would have changed this team in Jesse. It is what is and he’s getting them to buy in.

Even the half court man D was way better in second half yesterday. A lot of it is effort and the guys needing to buy in.
Good post but I can not agree that Red "whiffed on keeping" Jesse. It was out of Red's control that Jesse and his old man walked for $800,000+. Totally agree that Jesse would have changed this team but it did not happen and it was out of Red's control

I wouldn't go as far as saying Red outcoached Langel. From what I witnessed, Cuse's superior athleticism won out once Red convinced them to play hard. So it appears as though he's at least a great motivator.
And he switched it up. From what I heard (didn’t watch much) Langel didn’t really make many changes.

I feel people greatly overestimate our talent, especially the forwards.
The forward positions are definitely the weakness, which is unusual for a Cuse team. We get a talent infusion at PF next season with Freeman coming in.

Last edited:
Good post but I can not agree that Red "whiffed on keeping" Jesse. It was out of Red's control that Jesse and his old man walked for $800,000+. Totally agree that Jesse would have changed this team but it did not happen and it was out of Red's control
Agree didn’t mean to imply it was Red’s fault. Just that we lost on a key piece who wanted to stay.

Weirdly I heard 600k as the number last week. The NiL stuff is often inflated.

Can we get him a longer mic. He’s leaning over like a 5th grader at a spelling bee.
Exactly the first thing I noticed. Please do this. Made me sad for him at a nice moment for him and the program.

Red needs to think about doubling the post if he wants to keep playing Justin on a big guy. Justin can’t guard big, strong forwards.

Agree didn’t mean to imply it was Red’s fault. Just that we lost on a key piece who wanted to stay.

Weirdly I heard 600k as the number last week. The NiL stuff is often inflated.
I definitely don’t blame Red, but it’s a shame they didn’t put up a couple hundred more since they already offered him 3-4 I believe, no matter how BS his re-asks were. Rebounding and half court offense issues would have been significantly alleviated, and this would be looking more like a tournament team.

We have a very good PF. Unfortunately he is stuck playing C where he’s not nearly as effective.
I like Maliq, but tbh I don’t think he’s nearly as talented as many of the great power forwards we’ve had in the past. Maybe he’ll get there. I do think he may be hampered by that groin injury still.

I like Maliq, but tbh I don’t think he’s nearly as talented as many of the great power forwards we’ve had in the past. Maybe he’ll get there. I do think he may be hampered by that groin injury still.
Fair point and probably accurate. The thing about Brown though is that he is so consistent. You know what you're going to get from Maliq. He just produces and does so many things really well that the team needs. It's refreshing to have at least one guy you know what you're going to get when he plays.

I don't think he is a plus athlete and he doesn't have plus level skill. He does in my opinion have a plus level feel on how to play. He also can impact the game without requiring shots, which is a major asset considering his mates propensity to take as many as they can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom