Red's Postgame Presser | Cornell | Syracusefan.com

Red's Postgame Presser | Cornell

My humble opinion: some of you are nuts about Red and his skills! I've watched most or all of these pressers. Seems like the consummate ever learning, ever evolving student of the game. Please give him time and patience.

Already incorporated a new defensive style and our returning players are adjusting and more importantly, improving by the day.

My humble opinion: some of you are nuts about Red and his skills! I've watched most or all of these pressers. Seems like the consummate ever learning, ever evolving student of the game. Please give him time and patience.

Already incorporated a new defensive style and our returning players are adjusting and more importantly, improving by the day.

Guys are starting to fill roles. With no Westry and Benny's struggles off and on the court this team has been handicapped a good bit this year.

There's been plenty of good to have optimism for the future. We just need the right guys up and down the roster. Right now there are missing pieces to the vision of the style of hoops we are playing.

I'm done measuring this year in wins and losses at this point. Let's see what he can get out of this group and see how guys get better. We hung in Maui until late vs Tennessee, and Tenn somewhat beat us twice with the struggles vs Gonzaga. We got slammed in this teams big first road game vs UVA.

It's not been dominant but we have stopped the bleeding with bad losses in the buy games so far. By year end our SOS is going to be impressive- so far even our cupcakes are winning or better in the analytics than expected.

No clue about how this all shakes out but if we get a healthy Westry back there's plenty of talent to stack a good bit of wins and showcase the style of play for the future.

I think Red had a good game. Everyone wanted him to put Judah back in, but we had a workable lead, and we had a chance to give guys a little rope.
Plus I wouldn't trust Judah to play without fouling
Finally when he subbed Judah he took out JJ who was struggling at the time. Didn't he also sub in Q for Bell at that time, leaving cuffe and Taylor, who are our best defenders, on the court?
Red is doing fine managing a limited roster skill wise and hoop wise. I hope Westry has game, but I hope his minutes come at JJs and not JTs expense.

You dont get time when you are given the reigns to one of the best programs in college basketball history over many, many other qualified candidates. Sorry but time and patience are usually off the table with a continuity hire.

You dont get time when you are given the reigns to one of the best programs in college basketball history over many, many other qualified candidates. Sorry but time and patience are usually off the table with a continuity hire.
Continuity hire implies continuing what was working. Things weren’t working. He needs to improve the talent level and deserves time.

Small things that are good to see: After getting burned in the first half, primarily man to man on under the basket out of bounds in the second half. Also, substitutional subbing for D.

Coach’s vision for this team and what it has turned out to be are radically different. Needs to manage what he has and needs more in the way of help next year than what is currently scheduled to arrive.

Wasn't it you preaching time and patience with JBs exit and we would be just fine? Lol nice 180.

We are 6-3 , down a key addition and one key piece hasn't worked out. Not to mention JJ has struggled. Our losses are to two top 10/15 teams in Maui and a UVA team playing much better after their wisky debacle. The takes on Red so far are hilarious and dripping in bias.

This year we get what we get and it's not been bad by any stretch. Next year is where the performance measurement really kicks in.

The next two games tell us more where this season might land than the first 9. It's gone to script if you are a realist and not someone with absurd expectations.

Last edited:
Finally when he subbed Judah he took out JJ who was struggling at the time. Didn't he also sub in Q for Bell at that time, leaving cuffe and Taylor, who are our best defenders, on the court?
Bell had three straight terrible possessions leading to getting yanked. He missed a switch leading to a wide open three. He was continually letting that back door cut happen by not staying with his man.

Says who??

Continuity hire implies continuing what was working. Things weren’t working. He needs to improve the talent level and deserves time.
So then he shouldn’t have been hired. It appears the talent is better but the coaching is markedly worse.

Last edited:
Wasn't it you preaching time and patience with JBs exit and we would be just fine? Lol nice 180.

We are 6-3 , down a key addition and one key piece hasn't worked out. Not to mention JJ has struggled. Our losses are to two top 10/15 teams in Maui and a UVA team playing much better after their wisky debacle. The takes on Red so far are hilarious and dripping in bias.

This year we get what we get and it's not been bad by any stretch. Next year is where the performance measurement really kicks in.

The next two games tell us more where this season might land than the first 9. It's gone to script if you are a realist and not someone with absurd expectations.
That certainly was not me. I was down on the Red hire from the moment he failed to get a real center. I would’ve preached patience with someone from the outside, not internally.

As for this year so far? It has most certainly been bad. You haven’t been competitive in games with talent, and you’ve been pushed to the brink by two teams in Colgate (who lost their two best players from last years team) and Cornell who, thank goodness, missed 5 wide open threes yesterday in the first half alone. The LSU game may go down as the biggest fluke of the season, we shall see.

I’m just not sure how anyone can look at this team and be okay with the lack of coaching prowess red has shown. He’s not coaching at St Peter’s, he’s at freaking Syracuse University. He has shown he doesn’t know how to build good lineups, he cannot seem find the balls to sit his underperforming protege, and he continues to fail to install any coherent offensive scheme outside of “hope Judah and bell bail us out.” But yes, he’s coaching man to man so I guess that earns him the 2 million+

Sorry, he doesn’t get a couple years, he wanted the job he got it, now he has outsized expectations to perform. A .500 season this year is not good enough, he doesn’t have 45 years of success to lean on to win the hearts of the populous.

Last edited:
I agree. We would be holding Matt Langel or whoever else to a high standard if they were the coach right now.

Syracuse Basketball is Syracuse Basketball and I am not lowering my baseline expectations for the program because we decided to hire a man who has never been a head coach before. Especially in the era of one year turnarounds. Everyone involved made their bed.

Bell had three straight terrible possessions leading to getting yanked. He missed a switch leading to a wide open three. He was continually letting that back door cut happen by not staying with his man.
I agree that's why it was a good move to pull him.

Red is showing improvement from last years team and (at least statistically) the defense is trending upwards. For me, Red doesn’t need to be in the ACC championship in two years but show evidence he can punch above the rankings. So far we have won the games we should win and been blown out by better competition. If midway through next year, Red doesn’t have any signature wins and we aren’t in the top 50 computer rankings, we should be sounding the alarms. I would hope at that point ADJW intervenes much like FSU did with Willie Taggert. We are too big of a basketball brand to allow the status quo or a further slide. Syracuse is not a Quad 3 team. Rosters can be transformed over night and if Red isn’t the man for the job we need to find the person who is. We have slid by Syracuse standards for coming on a decade (not counting miraculous post season surprise runs), attendance is down, and we don’t want a FB-esque rebuild for the hoop program. 10 years of mediocrity doesn’t bring in new fans and isn’t healthy for the program long term. Love red. Support red. Hope to god he succeeds but 4 years to figure things out is nuts in this day and age.

That certainly was not me. I was down on the Red hire from the moment he failed to get a real center. I would’ve preached patience with someone from the outside, not internally.

As for this year so far? It has most certainly been bad. You haven’t been competitive in games with talent, and you’ve been pushed to the brink by two teams in Colgate (who lost their two best players from last years team) and Cornell who, thank goodness, missed 5 wide open threes yesterday in the first half alone. The LSU game may go down as the biggest fluke of the season, we shall see.

I’m just not sure how anyone can look at this team and be okay with the lack of coaching prowess red has shown. He’s not coaching at St Peter’s, he’s at freaking Syracuse University. He has shown he doesn’t know how to build good lineups, he cannot seem find the balls to sit his underperforming protege, and he continues to fail to install any coherent offensive scheme outside of “hope Judah and bell bail us out.” But yes, he’s coaching man to man so I guess that earns him the 2 million+

Sorry, he doesn’t get a couple years, he wanted the job he got it, now he has outsized expectations to perform. A .500 season this year is not good enough, he doesn’t have 45 years of success to lean on to win the hearts of the populous.

Lol. If I hadn't thrown more $$ at the new NIL I'd gladly wager you that your beloved outside hire wouldn't be setting the world on fire. Those of you who didn't want Red are seeing things through a biased lens with pre conceived doubt. It's impossible to meet expectations when you come in already dissing the hire. You preached patience regarding JB leaving on his own terms. That's a fact and that's my point. It's moving the goalposts from your previous arguments just trying to excuse your dislike of the hire as why your comments on patience and we will be fine.

Anyways point is did you expect 8-1 with Westry hurt and Benny not growing up? The center part is not on Red. Sorry but it's just not. The best guys out there needed a waiver outside Dickinson/Ike and those demanding Dickinson I mean.. come on.

Last edited:
This team has the record most people thought it would have at this point in the season. We haven’t lost a game because of coaching. Might have stolen a game, Colgate, because of good coaching. This team has holes which are being exaggerated because of Benny and the Westery injury. If they finish 500 in ACC I am satisfied. Next year need to see progression and growth.

So then he shouldn’t have been hired. It appears the talent is better but the coaching is markedly worse.
This I disagree with. Starling wasn’t good last year, McLeod barely played for a 9 win team and they replaced two of our three best players all while standing pat with a bunch of guys who were 2-3 years away. This had disaster written all over it before the season started. They hype this group of one dimensional 6th men was out of control this year. The pundits saw it yet nobody here wanted to believe it. This roster needs to be overhauled, keep maybe 4 of these guys.

This I disagree with. Starling wasn’t good last year, McLeod barely played for a 9 win team and they replaced two of our three best players all while standing pat with a bunch of guys who were 2-3 years away. This had disaster written all over it before the season started. They hype this group of one dimensional 6th men was out of control this year. The pundits saw it yet nobody here wanted to believe it. This roster needs to be overhauled, keep maybe 4 of these guys.
McLeod wasn’t the first choice that’s for sure. Made a mistake last year with Hima. Check out Quincy Ballard at Wichita. I agree about flipping the roster sooner rather than later. Judah will leave, two of the centers need to go and maybe one of the three sophomore forwards.

Red is gonna pop a blood vessel because of Bell. Screamed at him after leaving a guy wide open for three. On the late turnover where he threw the ball right to the bald kid, I saw Red's immediate reaction. He almost ran out of the Dome.

I’m on the fence about Reds coaching ability but what is he supposed to do with this roster? He sure wasn’t helped by NIL and Jesse. There is one complete player and a bunch who do one thing well but this pales in comparison to good teams. He appears to be recruiting well. JB was looking for diamonds in the rough but Reds going after studs… hopefully he succeeds. The team has had its moments (the Colgate comeback, LSU, a lot of the TN game) but also looked dreadful at times. Red has also not been helped by things he can’t control, Westry’s injury and Benny being Benny. Given all of this I’m hopeful, not as much as I was before the season but ALOT more than I was at this time last year (admittedly a low bar).

Red is gonna pop a blood vessel because of Bell. Screamed at him after leaving a guy wide open for three. On the late turnover where he threw the ball right to the bald kid, I saw Red's immediate reaction. He almost ran out of the Dome.

And yet Bell has the lowest turnover% on the team. Granted he doesn’t handle the ball as much as Judah or JJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom