Refs botched free throws today... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Refs botched free throws today...

FACT. He's horrendous, not sure why he hasn't made the Mt. Rushmore of suck yet.

That would be Jim Burr, Tim Higgins, Karl Hess and this latest nominee. I like to think the bonehead who T'd Terrence Roberts for slapping the backboard in the Vermont game belongs there as well.

What I had noticed was when ST. johns committed a foul the scoreboard operator then put st. johns in the bonus situation instead of Syracuse in the bonus. so st. johns got the credit and I didn't notice if they benefitted in the end as I was bouncing around all afternoon.

I was lost as for the total fouls at that point. This really was a major screw up as far as I am concerned.

Nobody on the sidelines noticed or was someone ignored when trying to point it out...unreal

I was thinking the same thing while the game was going on ... I was like ok we already missed 2 1-1's we have got to be in the double bonus by now ...

Yup. I thought it was weird being at the game, and I had Cuse and the points. Now I'm even more pissed.

My Nova fan coworker asked me about betting this game when it opened at -4.5 and I told him not to touch it. I text him after the fact and said we would've covered easily if we could hit FT's but at least we covered and he informed me it bumped to 5.5 and no we didn't. Not sure if he bet it or not.

Michael Stephens. He's consistently been one of the worst refs in college hoops for a few years now. He flies under the radar but he's horrendous.
If I remember correctly, Stephens is the same ref who gave BMK(who at the time didn't even speak English well) a technical in the Nova game back in his freshman year. The replay showed BMK not even saying a word and some how Stephens hits him with a tech claiming he said something out of line lol.

According to ESPN's play by play, SJU's 10th foul was on Obepka with 30 seconds left. That's followed by one CJ missed FT and an SJU defensive rebound. The next SJU foul is followed by a CJ miss, an SU defensive team rebound (?!) and another CJ miss.

Can't expect these guys to count to 10 correctly.

KO is also saying they treated the 11th foul as 1and1 as well. Unreal up even if it didn't affect outcome

Wow that should be a automatic fine for alot of people.

orangefan13 said:
Wow that should be a automatic fine for alot of people.

Suspension of the official bookkeeper maybe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Generally the SID helps the staff monitor points/fouls/timeouts during the course of the game. They are not directly responsible, and I have no idea how SU does things, but in my experience that has generally been the procedure.

Su has a person keeping stats dont they? what happened to that?

As I said in post on page 1 of this thread, Nick Resavy was very demonstrative after the foul shot by CJ on what was the 10th SJU team foul. There's only so much you can do as an assistant coach. Then on the 11th team foul, they finally updated the scoreboard at MSG to put us in the double bonus. CJ missed the first, the refs treated it as a one and one. It wasn't until the SU bench went nuts after the miss did the refs realize it was a 2 shot foul, that the refs granted CJ another shot (which he missed:bang:).

Generally the SID helps the staff monitor points/fouls/timeouts during the course of the game. They are not directly responsible, and I have no idea how SU does things, but in my experience that has generally been the procedure.

Right.

The visiting team usually has a GA or a coach monitor these things, but they rely on their own SID for backup. The home team, the refs, and the scoreboard operator all rely on the official scorer. He goofed.

As I said in post on page 1 of this thread, Nick Resavy was very demonstrative after the foul shot by CJ on what was the 10th SJU team foul. There's only so much you can do as an assistant coach. Then on the 11th team foul, they finally updated the scoreboard at MSG to put us in the double bonus. CJ missed the first, the refs treated it as a one and one. It wasn't until the SU bench went nuts after the miss did the refs realize it was a 2 shot foul, that the refs granted CJ another shot (which he missed:bang:).
Its a correctable mistake, as well as being noticed when the refs call 1-1 instead of 2 shots when the player steps to the line.. You have until the first dead ball to fix the mistake. SU should have been granted the shot after the dead ball, the ball becomes dead and since the first dead ball was I think after a SJ foul SU would have gotten the shot back and then the next foul shots would have taken place. its a confusing rule though. some examples seem to contradict the rule.

I thought I was going crazy at the game, I noticed the same thing. Unbelievable.

If I remember correctly, Stephens is the same ref who gave BMK(who at the time didn't even speak English well) a technical in the Nova game back in his freshman year. The replay showed BMK not even saying a word and some how Stephens hits him with a tech claiming he said something out of line lol.

Not that I noticed it a ton yesterday, but Stephens is probably the single worst ref in college for the anticipatory whistle. Guy blows before contact all the time. :oops:

that's the table, not the refs

Official scorer must be a St. John's grad. Stuff like that rarely happens in junior high games with high school kids manning the books!

Official scorer will be signed by the Atlanta Hawks who have quite a history of screw ups.