Refs were terrible last night | Syracusefan.com

Refs were terrible last night

SUGumbo

Walk On
I love when people say stop complaining about the refs, it's just an excuse...I'm sorry but my Dad who never complains at all about the referees and my buddy who is a UNC fan and my even my wife commented on how bad the referees were last night. My wife asked why they keep letting them smack us like that. Immediately we were called for a foul that game them their first 2 points. Then called for a charge on Oshaw in the lane that was a terrible call (was moving and foot was on the line). The calls proceeded to be extremely one sided and at one point in the first half the free throws were 18 - 2.

Don't give me the "we should drive more comment". We couldn't as we were being hedged, bumped on drives and called for charges. In the second half them made UNC has zero fouls for the first 9 minutes. The final free throw count does not look as bad because once the game was out of reach, they finally called fouls on UNC.

Do I think it costed us the game, probably not but why can we not criticize the referees ? There were historically awful. I don't think they intentionally call the game in UNC's favor but Duke would never get this game called the same way. Battle should have literally shot 8 more free throws minimum.

Call it whining, call it excuses, whatever you want but that game was called extremely one sided last night. When the calls take your offense (predicated on dribble drive and drawing fouls) out of its game and foul out your best rebounder it has a major impact.

Would we have lost anyways...probably. Something seriously needs to be done about College referees. NBA refs are not great but light years ahead of that garbage I saw last night

We should have one post for the season pinned. Think there has been at least one post at the end of each game.
Good point...they have been pretty awful all year. Even in the Wake Forest game with the 4 charge calls they were terrible. Yesterday though was a whole new level of poor officiating. Carolina is better, has more depth and played good defense as well but the referees did us zero favors last night

Officiating stinks.

I am still trying to figure out why the Farrell ball slap in the game before wasn't a double T.

Heck Battle was standing out of bounds when the ball hit him and we got it back.

Conversely UNC throws a home run pass, Cam Johnson takes like 4 steps with the ref right there and nothing. Getting the ball back there minus 10 would've been helpful.

We "probably" don't beat UNC with better Officiating but maybe we don't get blown out if Chukwu isn't effectively disqualified 5 minutes into the game and they called a few handchecks/hipchecks on the perimeter.

The decision to let body contact go on the perimeter and let zero contact go underneath was about as bad of an Officiating combo as we could ever get in a game this year as both amplify our weaknesses X 100.

It was the same crew as the Wake game, so I expected they would be awful again.

We "probably" don't beat UNC with better Officiating but maybe we don't get blown out if Chukwu isn't effectively disqualified 5 minutes into the game and they called a few handchecks/hipchecks on the perimeter.

The decision to let body contact go on the perimeter and let zero contact go underneath was about as bad of an Officiating combo as we could ever get in a game this year as both amplify our weaknesses X 100.
Agreed, that was awful. Paschal basically had 3 phantom fouls called against him

It was the same crew as the Wake game, so I expected they would be awful again.
Pretty sure it was a different crew. They were both poor but last night was really bad. I actually rewatched some of the game at midnight and it was worse than I even initially thought (I was looking for missed calls now). Battle should have gone to the line probably 5 more times. Oshae was hacked on consecutive shots and then were bumping Frank every time he touched the ball.

Game changed pretty early on when we were down 1 with the ball (I think score was 11-10) and Frank was muscled and bumped on the perimeter. We ended up losing the ball and UNC scored on their possession. We never got closer than that from that point on in the game. They showed Boeheim complaining to the ref on the sideline that Frank was fouled. Ref said, something along the lines of that's not the way I saw it. They didn't see it that way the entire game.

Game changed pretty early on when we were down 1 with the ball (I think score was 11-10) and Frank was muscled and bumped on the perimeter. We ended up losing the ball and UNC scored on their possession. We never got closer than that from that point on in the game. They showed Boeheim complaining to the ref on the sideline that Frank was fouled. Ref said, something along the lines of that's not the way I saw it. They didn't see it that way the entire game.
Agreed. I remember that plan and they continued to call the game in UNC favor the rest of the way.

out of bounds ricochet off of battle. good call ? the only one they got right ?

Last edited:
haven't played Duke yet in ACCT play, but SU would get the same calls vs. the blue devils. The refs are under Swofford's orders to protect the royalty.

I love when people say stop complaining about the refs, it's just an excuse...I'm sorry but my Dad who never complains at all about the referees and my buddy who is a UNC fan and my even my wife commented on how bad the referees were last night. My wife asked why they keep letting them smack us like that. Immediately we were called for a foul that game them their first 2 points. Then called for a charge on Oshaw in the lane that was a terrible call (was moving and foot was on the line). The calls proceeded to be extremely one sided and at one point in the first half the free throws were 18 - 2.

Don't give me the "we should drive more comment". We couldn't as we were being hedged, bumped on drives and called for charges. In the second half them made UNC has zero fouls for the first 9 minutes. The final free throw count does not look as bad because once the game was out of reach, they finally called fouls on UNC.

Do I think it costed us the game, probably not but why can we not criticize the referees ? There were historically awful. I don't think they intentionally call the game in UNC's favor but Duke would never get this game called the same way. Battle should have literally shot 8 more free throws minimum.

Call it whining, call it excuses, whatever you want but that game was called extremely one sided last night. When the calls take your offense (predicated on dribble drive and drawing fouls) out of its game and foul out your best rebounder it has a major impact.

Would we have lost anyways...probably. Something seriously needs to be done about College referees. NBA refs are not great but light years ahead of that garbage I saw last night
I thought during this game, the refs just let UNC's guards push our guys out front so as to stop them turning the corner. It really was noticable.
UNC is the better team. Luke May is a better college player than any of our guys.

Last edited:
tyus battle played the whole game and was whistled only once. "roofing"
and he was using his free arm quite a bit on pinson to create space.
UNC attacked the rim point blank and got us in foul trouble. it was by design.

For me it is less about the officiating being bad and more about it favoring teams. To me bad officiating is when they take over the game and screw everyone. That rarely happens in the ACC. They have a set of rules for the Tobacco 2 and a set of rules for the charter members and a set of rules for everyone else. Sadly we are in the 3rd group. It is what it is. I just role my eyes now and refuse to allow it to really make me mad.

Watching the best defensive team in the country in UVA and shockingly, I don't see any of the clutch/grab/bump that went on last night.

We were not winning anyway, but the 3 fouls PC got called for were enormous and complete non-fouls. Absolute garbage calls that yes, affected how we could play the rest of the game. Guys jumping straight into 7'2" players. Amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom