Refs were terrible last night | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Refs were terrible last night

We were not winning anyway, but the 3 fouls PC got called for were enormous and complete non-fouls. Absolute garbage calls that yes, affected how we could play the rest of the game. Guys jumping straight into 7'2" players. Amazing.
I agree...UNC was jumping into PC and flailing around to get a foul. It worked in the refs eyes, they were fouls. Meanwhile Battle could not buy a foul to save his life.

For me it is less about the officiating being bad and more about it favoring teams. To me bad officiating is when they take over the game and screw everyone. That rarely happens in the ACC. They have a set of rules for the Tobacco 2 and a set of rules for the charter members and a set of rules for everyone else. Sadly we are in the 3rd group. It is what it is. I just role my eyes now and refuse to allow it to really make me mad.
You might be on to something...It certainly seems that way.

We got worked for the final 30 minutes of that game. Bad officiating isn't why we lost. UNC is twice as good as us. Plain and simple. I wish more fans could acknowledge when their team is simply outplayed/outmanned, rather than coming up with excuses.

We got worked for the final 30 minutes of that game. Bad officiating isn't why we lost. UNC is twice as good as us. Plain and simple. I wish more fans could acknowledge when their team is simply outplayed/outmanned, rather than coming up with excuses.

Refs were bad. UNC is better.

How's that? Both can happen.

We stunk. Tyus and Frank were 8-39 with a bunch of turnovers.

CBB officiating has ruined big games for years. Certain officials(Stephens/Higgins) favor name brand schools.

Refs were bad. UNC is better.

How's that? Both can happen.

I agree the officiating was not good, but for both sides.

My main point is that people always want to throw out excuses as to why we lost. We lost because, UNC, to a man, is much much better than we are. We lost badly, shot 32% from the floor and committed some of the worst unforced turnovers one could imagine. Yet people here are complaining about a poorly officiated game where we committed 18 fouls to UNC's 16. A perfectly officiated game doesn't help us win that game, or even make it a single digit game for that matter.

The officiating set the tone last night early on and our guys went from attack mode to being afraid to attack. That changed the complexion of the game and put UNC in the driver's seat and they never looked back. So to say it is an excuse, or that they were fine is inaccurate. It is a major issue in college hoops and it has all to frequently impacted the probabilities of winning for one team or the other. Until there is more accountability this will be an argument between those who brush it off and call those who complain whiners and themselves as the high hog realists. Neither is true, but to each their own.

As for last night's result, once the tone was set and we weren't going to get the calls, nothing was done to adjust. We resorted to jacking up jumpshots instead of adjusting our attack. If anything , keep attacking and force them to foul out the whole team but at least stay aggressive. We did not and paid the price. The early game calls and lack of calls changed our odds, which weren't great coming in anyways given our limited depth and offensive efficiency. Yes it's a dead horse, but that horse still keeps showing up every year in important games and thus until it gets better, it is a legitimate topic.

The officiating set the tone last night early on and our guys went from attack mode to being afraid to attack. That changed the complexion of the game and put UNC in the driver's seat and they never looked back. So to say it is an excuse, or that they were fine is inaccurate. It is a major issue in college hoops and it has all to frequently impacted the probabilities of winning for one team or the other. Until there is more accountability this will be an argument between those who brush it off and call those who complain whiners and themselves as the high hog realists. Neither is true, but to each their own.

As for last night's result, once the tone was set and we weren't going to get the calls, nothing was done to adjust. We resorted to jacking up jumpshots instead of adjusting our attack. If anything , keep attacking and force them to foul out the whole team but at least stay aggressive. We did not and paid the price. The early game calls and lack of calls changed our odds, which weren't great coming in anyways given our limited depth and offensive efficiency. Yes it's a dead horse, but that horse still keeps showing up every year in important games and thus until it gets better, it is a legitimate topic.
My sentiments exactly... could not have said it better

I agree the officiating was not good, but for both sides.

My main point is that people always want to throw out excuses as to why we lost. We lost because, UNC, to a man, is much much better than we are. We lost badly, shot 32% from the floor and committed some of the worst unforced turnovers one could imagine. Yet people here are complaining about a poorly officiated game where we committed 18 fouls to UNC's 16. A perfectly officiated game doesn't help us win that game, or even make it a single digit game for that matter.
Anyone can cherry pick stats to prove their point...like 28 free throws to 14. See what I did there. I watched the game and the refs were terrible for the first 32 minutes

FD933A9B-C833-41C9-B68D-BA6C9B86136D.jpeg

Maybe the FBI should wiretap the officials phones to see how they are getting paid off ahead of time

From D.O.

When asked about his fouls, Chukwu rolled his eyes, threw up his hands and said, “Man…” He paused. “I had two fouls that I thought were blocked shots. That kind of stuff throws your game, because when they start calling those kinds of fouls, in your mind…” He paused again. “… It’s hard to go up and contest the shots you really want to and block shots because you always got second thoughts, like, ‘Oh, this might be a foul.’ Because against this team, we need our centers to be in the game. It was obvious. When I fouled out, things changed.”

When he thought about it later, he decided he would’ve said something like this: “What do you want me to do? I’m not touching him.” He paused. “That was minimal contact and they called a foul. Tyus was getting pushed, held (on the other end) and they didn’t call anything, so I didn’t have any idea what was going on.”

“Having (Chukwu) out the game was huge for us,” Pinson said.

From D.O.

When asked about his fouls, Chukwu rolled his eyes, threw up his hands and said, “Man…” He paused. “I had two fouls that I thought were blocked shots. That kind of stuff throws your game, because when they start calling those kinds of fouls, in your mind…” He paused again. “… It’s hard to go up and contest the shots you really want to and block shots because you always got second thoughts, like, ‘Oh, this might be a foul.’ Because against this team, we need our centers to be in the game. It was obvious. When I fouled out, things changed.”

When he thought about it later, he decided he would’ve said something like this: “What do you want me to do? I’m not touching him.” He paused. “That was minimal contact and they called a foul. Tyus was getting pushed, held (on the other end) and they didn’t call anything, so I didn’t have any idea what was going on.”

“Having (Chukwu) out the game was huge for us,” Pinson said.
Interesting comments !!! Exactly my point

Anyone can cherry pick stats to prove their point...like 28 free throws to 14. See what I did there. I watched the game and the refs were terrible for the first 32 minutes

Again, I think the refs were bad, but it goes both ways. There was 1 play where the ball was clearly off Battle and we got it back, right around mid-court. Let's not put this loss on officiating is all I'm saying.

Give me your honest assessment - would you say we played well? In a perfect world where every call was right, do we win, or even come close to winning?

And PC has to be called out for not changing the way he played after picking up his second and third foul. He can't jump and try to swat everything knowing he's going to get called for those. And JB had to do better. PC shouldn't have picked up his 3rd in the first half, but once he did, PC shouldn't have started the 2nd half.

Fab, may he rest in peace, would have eaten that UNC team alive last night. That jump into the chest by Pinson would have been a charge on Pinson with PCs reaction. Knowing when to jump and when not to is really hard.

Again, I think the refs were bad, but it goes both ways. There was 1 play where the ball was clearly off Battle and we got it back, right around mid-court. Let's not put this loss on officiating is all I'm saying.

Give me your honest assessment - would you say we played well? In a perfect world where every call was right, do we win, or even come close to winning?
No we played terrible and I don't think the refs cost us the game but they were awful. I do feel that the fact that PC realized it as well is telling.

It may have helped us to keep the game closer if they caused the game consistently but do I believe we would have won, probably not. Still doesn't mean that they shouldn't be held accountable

I have heard from posters on this message board that we should not complain about referees. All of it evens out.

Even when you have no bench, it all evens out.

Even when your team plays zone and the other plays man, yet the team going against a zone goes to the FT line double the number of times as the team going against man, it evens out.

Stop complaining.

Honestly, on that play, I thought they were being generous not calling a foul on UNC. That was identical to the Wake game where the defender comes in and dislodges the guy (the foul was called on Chukwu the night before) by entering the offensive player's "space" as part of a double team. I mean, Tyus didn't just fall over of his own accord due to a strong gust of wind. Sooooooo, I didn't really care it was off Tyus.

I wouldn't argue we didn't play like crap, because we did play like crap, but anyone that says it doesn't set a tone, or alter the game is bananas. Now, who knows, maybe we lose by 59 points if they call some ticky-tack crap on Berry, or Pinson, and Playtek comes in and drops 40 unexpectedly.....nobody can know what would have happened. Still, it's a perfectly rational argument to say we were in it up until the foul shots got to like 13-0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom