Remember Oliver Luck? | Syracusefan.com

Remember Oliver Luck?

Caboose

Scout Team
The guy won this battle and accomplished what he intended. His sanctions essentially deep sixed any chance for Boeheim to walk off into the sunset from Syracuse University. The sanctions were the beginning of the end of JB here and spearheaded the direction we're currently in. I know that gmac, autry and crew are not great recruiters, but I'm in the camp of people who feel that the sanctions are the main reason for the disaster we're currently mired in.

The guy won this battle and accomplished what he intended. His sanctions essentially deep sixed any chance for Boeheim to walk off into the sunset from Syracuse University. The sanctions were the beginning of the end of JB here and spearheaded the direction we're currently in. I know that gmac, autry and crew are not great recruiters, but I'm in the camp of people who feel that the sanctions are the main reason for the disaster we're currently mired in.
Sanctions are an excuse.

Excuses are weak.

Sanctions are an excuse.

Excuses are weak.
Don't get me wrong... I'm not making excuses for Boeheim. All I'm saying is those sanctions really got the snowball rolling to this point. You can't tell me we'd be this bad now if there were no sanctions.

Why single out Oliver Luck? I mean, he is an ass hat. I know he worked at the NCAA and hated us. But he wasn't alone in that.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not making excuses for Boeheim. All I'm saying is those sanctions really got the snowball rolling to this point. You can't tell me we'd be this bad now if there were no sanctions.
We wouldn't. But at some point, there is ownership for this mess. And that as always, starts at the top. We ran afoul of the NCAA twice.

Why single out Oliver Luck? I mean, he is an ass hat. I know he worked at the NCAA and hated us. But he wasn't alone in that.
Wasn't he the lead on the committee? Idk I just remember him making it public that he had it out for JB. If this is what he wanted he sure succeeded.

We wouldn't. But at some point, there is ownership for this mess. And that as always, starts at the top. We ran afoul of the NCAA twice.
I understand. We all want the same thing... A good program and competitive teams, none of which we have right now. I was in the JB is not getting it done camp over two years ago, trust me. I saw this coming.

We have a full roster, the vast majority of which were recruited after sanctions.

JB only plays 7 or 8 guys. The sanctions never winnowed the roster down to 8 scholarships. As long as I’ve followed SU hoops there’s always been 2 or 3 guys buried deep on the bench that never played. It’s a very deep list. You can’t tell me that losing a couple of scholarships a year crippled the program to this level.

Here’s the reality. Hop left. He was our best recruiter and practice coach. He ran the practices for years. There’s no guy on the staff that’s stepped up to fill the void he left. Recruiting has fallen off along with player development. The result is what you see on the court today.

you can be their shoulder to cry on at shifty’s when John cleans house with the entire staff.

Oliver Luck Allegedly Told WVU Fans That He Joined The NCAA To "*** Over Jim Boeheim" | The Spun

It's on the internet so it's 100% true

Sanctions were a huge problem because we had to play so straight and narrow after them lest we risk a third round for this coach that we couldn’t compete for recruits

you can be their shoulder to cry on at shifty’s when John cleans house with the entire staff.
I was the one calling for JB to be fired over two years ago, receiving month-long bans by the moderators here for all the posts. I don't think I'm the shoulder they're looking for- and Shiftys is a s**tty bar anyway.

Holy ads! I just got tricked. Careful out there guys, watch where you tap!

Sanctions were a huge problem because we had to play so straight and narrow after them lest we risk a third round for this coach that we couldn’t compete for recruits

YES! I've posted this a few times. It's simple. Everyone (good) cheats. We used to cheat, and cheat pretty-well (compared to say Duke or UNC, who cheat amazingly well). Except we'd sometimes get caught. Unlike other schools where the coach that gets caught cheating leaves and the cheating school (heavily invested program) reboots and begins cheating again (e.g., Kentucky, Louisville, Memphis, Baylor, etc), our coach remains. Thus, he can't cheat the same way out of fear of reprisal. We fall behind. Other than Kevin Huerter, I can't recall a specific player Coach thought we lost due to sanctions. Of course, he can't openly say why the sanctions have truly hurt the program.

When we get a new coach in a few years, we'll get back to cheating, and we'll be fine. Ideally, we'd get someone well versed in cheating, who has never been caught cheating before.

I recognize this is an incredibly cynical take, but I believe it to be true.

This statement makes no sense. If you’re not gonna compete for recruits you might as well cheat.

This statement makes no sense. If you’re not gonna compete for recruits you might as well cheat.

The point is that we couldnt/cant compete because we lost the ability to cheat effectively out of fear of reprisal.

The point is that we couldnt/cant compete because we lost the ability to cheat effectively out of fear of reprisal.
What’s the worse that happens? They fire JB? We have losing seasons?

violations were self reported. we knew we broke the rules. and were subsequently punished. don't act like the sanctions were some freak asteroid that crashed out of the sky unexplained. for the second time under JB we broke the rules, got caught and those illegal actions had consequences.

Maybe JB shouldn’t have put the program in a position to get whacked with sanctions, again. It still blows my mind how there was next-to-zero talk of removing him. How many coaches survive major sanctions, let alone twice.

That the punishment didn’t fit the crime doesn’t absolve him from the fact that we never should have been in that position to begin with.

YES! I've posted this a few times. It's simple. Everyone (good) cheats. We used to cheat, and cheat pretty-well (compared to say Duke or UNC, who cheat amazingly well). Except we'd sometimes get caught. Unlike other schools where the coach that gets caught cheating leaves and the cheating school (heavily invested program) reboots and begins cheating again (e.g., Kentucky, Louisville, Memphis, Baylor, etc), our coach remains. Thus, he can't cheat the same way out of fear of reprisal. We fall behind. Other than Kevin Huerter, I can't recall a specific player Coach thought we lost due to sanctions. Of course, he can't openly say why the sanctions have truly hurt the program.

When we get a new coach in a few years, we'll get back to cheating, and we'll be fine. Ideally, we'd get someone well versed in cheating, who has never been caught cheating before.

I recognize this is an incredibly cynical take, but I believe it to be true.

Ordinarily I'd be skeptical, but someone closer to the situation than I am said more or less this very thing last night in the context of Washington's competitiveness with SU for Upstate recruits.

violations were self reported. we knew we broke the rules. and were subsequently punished. don't act like the sanctions were some freak asteroid that crashed out of the sky unexplained. for the second time under JB we broke the rules, got caught and those illegal actions had consequences.
Maybe JB shouldn’t have put the program in a position to get whacked with sanctions, again. It still blows my mind how there was next-to-zero talk of removing him. How many coaches survive major sanctions, let alone twice.

That the punishment didn’t fit the crime doesn’t absolve him from the fact that we never should have been in that position to begin with.

Thanks, guys. Now you've put it on a tee for the orange glasses crowd to come in with their "but it was just a poor foreign student-athlete getting some extra help on a term paper" dishonesty.

Ordinarily I'd be skeptical, but someone closer to the situation than I am said more or less this very thing last night in the context of Washington's competitiveness with SU for Upstate recruits.
recruits also know that JB's shelf life is likely to expire soon. he won't see them graduate. mike hopkins offers coaching stability for the near future.he ain't going nowhere.

And here you have it. Finally someone willing to say it.

His punishment was the timeline to step down which he squirmed his way out of.

With all the corruption that the FBI unearthed in the past two years (thanks for not doing your purported job NCAA) from Arizona to Louisville, from sea to shining sea, we cannot compete with the baggers and bagmen.
Going bagless has to hurt. On top of that a coach who is closer to 80 than 70 who has seen his final sunset and is now in the twilight of his career isn't going to attract top talent especially with this coaching staff even with bagfulls of incentive.