Replacements for Desko | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Replacements for Desko

you guys are hilarious, posting like it's a done deal and who you should be offering to.
desko's the acc coach of the year like 5 years running.
unless any of you (or anyone else) is dumping heavy six figures into the program, then you're just posting on a message board. nothing more.
maybe help him out with your schemes and substitution patterns.

Not for nothing but who cares about winning ACC coach of the year when we have been to one final four in a decade. Syracuse is supposed the Alabama of Lacrosse, post-season success is what really matters. Is going 4-0 in the ACC two years great of course it is but when you don't parlay it into anything no one cares but syracuse fans.

i mean i get it, and it's not like i haven't followed folks thinking on the internets some rotation of coaches here (not a new idea) should happen... but a game in? 3 pages already on the candidate search that should already be underway?
fwiw, you can come up with the same reasons i can for every candidate named --- why they shouldn't be considered.

i mean i get it, and it's not like i haven't followed folks thinking on the internets some rotation of coaches here (not a new idea) should happen... but a game in? 3 pages already on the candidate search that should already be underway?
fwiw, you can come up with the same reasons i can for every candidate named --- why they shouldn't be considered.

People aren't calling for Desko's head based on this one game, there calling for his head based on the slow decline of the program overall not one game in a vacuum. The current Syracuse lacrosse program is a shell of what it was in the Powell era and even the Hard Nims Perrit days. Transfers and a good ACC the schedule have helped masked what has become clear in the NCAA tournament this is a slightly above average team that continues to make the same mistakes over and over. The program has clearly slipped, just look at the starting attack unit on Fri night. Go back to the Powell era or even 2009/10 none of those guys even sniffs the starting lineup, Solomon might be a 4th attackmen but thats about it.

People aren't calling for Desko's head based on this one game, there calling for his head based on the slow decline of the program overall not one game in a vacuum. The current Syracuse lacrosse program is a shell of what it was in the Powell era and even the Hard Nims Perrit days. Transfers and a good ACC the schedule have helped masked what has become clear in the NCAA tournament this is a slightly above average team that continues to make the same mistakes over and over. The program has clearly slipped, just look at the starting attack unit on Fri night. Go back to the Powell era or even 2009/10 none of those guys even sniffs the starting lineup, Solomon might be a 4th attackmen but thats about it.

Exactly, this is year 10 of a downward spiral.

this thread was started at 9.22 pm after the first game of the season.
there was also likely a similar thread started after the first game of the season a decade ago before 2 national championships.
feel free to look at the results and the fan enthusiasm on the uva boards 3 years into bringing in the hot candidate.
i'm sure things will go better pulling in someone with poorer past mediocre results because it's syracuse. though going forward i will try to stay out of it as the hiring process evolves.

this thread was started at 9.22 pm after the first game of the season.
there was also likely a similar thread started after the first game of the season a decade ago before 2 national championships.
feel free to look at the results and the fan enthusiasm on the uva boards 3 years into bringing in the hot candidate.
i'm sure things will go better pulling in someone with poorer past mediocre results because it's syracuse. though going forward i will try to stay out of it as the hiring process evolves.

I don't recall anyone calling for Deskos head in 07 but I guess its possible. Yes the thread was started on Fri but again its a cumulative effect on why people are calling for Dekso to go not just based on the fact that we lost to a Colgate team that was under .500 with a new staff and lost by about 30 to SU the year before.

As for UVA part of the reason there in the place they are now is because they couldn't make their mind up on Starsia and when they finally pulled the trigger they went with Lars who outside of one really good year hadn't really done all that much at Brown. Look its fine if your a Desko guy and want to keep him on but you've gotta have a better reason then "who could we possibly bring in to replace him". If Desko is let go could his replacement struggle, of course he could but thats not a reason to just shrug your shoulders while the program falls further and further from grace. No one wants Desko let go mid year because A thats dumb and B its never going to happen but his seat is as hot as its ever been right now and a losing record this year could force the admins hand.

Syracuse can match Yale with money on the sport. We’re not going to be outspent by Yale nor should we be. We’re the big dog in this sport quite simply the Alabama of lacrosse and we should act like it.

We’re in a down cycle but we’ll have our pick of coaches. Think big none of this small time stuff.
Guys may not be aware, but Yale has a booster for the lax program who happens to be one of the wealthiest tech people in the world. He is funding a new lax facility in design now. He wants to see Yale championships.
Joseph Tsai - Wikipedia

jeremy --- i can tell you factually that @ syracuse.com there were many more than are on here that were calling for desko's head after not continuing the tradition of winning the whole thing every other year.
i don't get your point re: uva and what other situation would've garnered a "better" result but there is no need for either of us to dig in.
my 2 cents --- if they're terrible your thoughts may have traction. but i doubt it even then. hoops is a shell of past glory, football until this year --- and those f'ball coaches largely traded up. a lacrosse coach with some tenure gets more than one "bad" year even if you think they should win a natty every 3rd year. if they work a result that is similar to the last 4-5 years or in the ball park, whether you think they're falling further from grace or not, you're spinning your wheels. frankly, i think their schedule favors them. don't see a lot of giant killers there.
ftr, i think the coaching in division 1 lacrosse leaves a lot to be desired, but that's universal. imo.

Going into the 2008 lax tournament we were four years removed from the last NC and 2 from a final four.

This year it’s ten and six.

Guys may not be aware, but Yale has a booster for the lax program who happens to be one of the wealthiest tech people in the world. He is funding a new lax facility in design now. He wants to see Yale championships.
Joseph Tsai - Wikipedia
Do you know if it’s a brand new lax stadium, or like an indoor practice facility?

By the way, in case everyone forgot, Colgate, which Cuse crushed last year, beat Cornell last year. Same Cornell team that beat Cuse twice. Maybe Colgate is just a better team than we all thought.

jeremy --- i can tell you factually that @ syracuse.com there were many more than are on here that were calling for desko's head after not continuing the tradition of winning the whole thing every other year.

It's because there are so many trolls just looking to get reactions from people in syr.com comment sections. I've seen the same people call for Desko's head after a dominate win as well. I can guarantee you that over half of the people commenting on those articles for the coaches to be run out of town couldn't tell you one thing about lacrosse.

The sane and rational people aren't asking for Wildhack to hold a presser tomorrow morning and announce that they've let everyone go. And there's no shame to losing to Colgate, the last time SU lost to them they did go on and bring back a trophy (2008). Heck the other time they dropped an opener they would go on to play on Memorial Day (2013).

People are asking/demanding for a change because of how they lost. There was no head, heart, hustle in that first half. There was no intensity or energy. No excitement on the sideline. All the talk in the offseason about making the changes, getting back to memorial weekend and to basically mail it in for the first 30 minutes with the same mistakes seen the past couple years is what have people upset. It is the first game and plenty of time to improve but if there isn't any improvement as the season goes on then changes will have to be made.

It's because there are so many trolls just looking to get reactions from people in syr.com comment sections. I've seen the same people call for Desko's head after a dominate win as well. I can guarantee you that over half of the people commenting on those articles for the coaches to be run out of town couldn't tell you one thing about lacrosse.

The sane and rational people aren't asking for Wildhack to hold a presser tomorrow morning and announce that they've let everyone go. And there's no shame to losing to Colgate, the last time SU lost to them they did go on and bring back a trophy (2008). Heck the other time they dropped an opener they would go on to play on Memorial Day (2013).

People are asking/demanding for a change because of how they lost. There was no head, heart, hustle in that first half. There was no intensity or energy. No excitement on the sideline. All the talk in the offseason about making the changes, getting back to memorial weekend and to basically mail it in for the first 30 minutes with the same mistakes seen the past couple years is what have people upset. It is the first game and plenty of time to improve but if there isn't any improvement as the season goes on then changes will have to be made.

Outstanding post, we should pin this to the top of the board. Couldn't have said it any better myself, that last paragraph summed up fri night to a T.

The "sane and rational people" who understand lacrosse were asking Wildhack to make a change two years ago... I would know.

I drive by Yale’s lacrosse stadium everyday. They tore down an old building across the street on a lot that is used for tailgating and other stuff. They might be building the indoor facility there.

By the way, in case everyone forgot, Colgate, which Cuse crushed last year, beat Cornell last year. Same Cornell team that beat Cuse twice. Maybe Colgate is just a better team than we all thought.

We're perfectly aware that even Colgate has passed us by.

Why?

I think it's great that a wealthy booster is committed to making the Yale lacrosse program relevant for the long haul by contributing money for facilities. He must also recognize he has a great coach and making attempts to do what it takes to keep him.

Since 2010 (9 year window) a look at the numbers. The regular season records have been pretty good. No complaints. The team has been seeded #1 twice and #2 four times. So in 6 of 9 years we've been seeded at the top.

The real let down of this staff is their inability to have any post season success in the last 9 years.

Tournament since 2010:

2010 - 13 & 2, seeded #2 lost first round to Army (not seeded)

2011 - 15 & 2, seeded #1, lost second round to Maryland (not seeded)

2012 - 9 & 8, not seeded, lost first round to #3 Duke

**2013 - 16 & 4, seeded #1, lost in final game to #7 seeded Duke 16-10

2014 - 11 & 5, seeded #2, lost in first round to unseeded Bryant 10-9

2015 - 13 & 3, seeded #2, lost in second round to unseeded Johns Hopkins

2016 - 11 & 4, seeded #8, lost in second round to #1 seed Maryland

2017 - 12 & 2, seeded #2, lost in second round to unseeded Towson

2018 - 8 & 6, seeded #8, lost first round to unseeded Cornell.

1 - Final Four (2013)

1 - Championship Game (2013)

4 - First Round Losses (2010, 2012, 2014, 2018)

4 - Second Round Losses (2011, 2015, 2016, 2017)

2 - #1 Seed (2011, 2013) results = 2nd round Loss and a FF/Chmp game

4 - #2 Seed (2010, 2014, 2015, 2017) = 2 first round losses (2010, 2014), 2 second round losses (2015, 2017)

2 - #8 Seed (2016, 2018) = 1 first round loss (2018), 1 second round loss 2016)

1 - Not seeded (loss first round) 2012

6 of 9 tournament losses have been to Unseeded Teams

7 of 9 tournament losses have been to teams seeded lower than us.

We seem to be trending down at this point though. We're coming off an 8 and 6 year which we knew was a rebuilding year. We kick off spring with 3 lack luster scrimmages and a shellacking by Yale and then a season opening stinker to Colgate.

They're really going to have to gut check to have success this season, but with the number of mistakes they continue to make I'm not seeing some epic turnaround. Be consistently good? This team, last year and this year, is consistently not good. That's the concerning part.

Last edited:
I think it's great that a wealthy booster is committed to making the Yale lacrosse program relevant for the long haul by contributing money for facilities. He must also recognize he has a great coach and making attempts to do what it takes to keep him.

Im sure Syracuse would be happy to receive a large sum from you or others here. Make it big enough and they will listen closer and maybe even put a name on a building

Here’s the part that makes no sense to me. Desko has to know his days are numbered..even if he goes deep this year. He’s had a seat at the table for a long long time and has experienced incredible success. If he cares that much about the program and leaving a strong legacy, put a transition plan in place now and make it public. Perhaps even bring the successor in next year and let him shadow Desko on the sideline. The public plan (if it’s the right guy will create excitement and draw upstream talent). At the end of the day ..it’s business and all good businesses have a clear succession plan for Leadership.

Here’s the part that makes no sense to me. Desko has to know his days are numbered..even if he goes deep this year. He’s had a seat at the table for a long long time and has experienced incredible success. If he cares that much about the program and leaving a strong legacy, put a transition plan in place now and make it public. Perhaps even bring the successor in next year and let him shadow Desko on the sideline. The public plan (if it’s the right guy will create excitement and draw upstream talent). At the end of the day ..it’s business and all good businesses have a clear succession plan for Leadership.

Really? If Desko goes deep he gets fired. How deep is your love?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom