Report from the Student section | Syracusefan.com

Report from the Student section

HastingsCuse

2018-19 Iggie ACC Tourney Rcd/SU -Duke Score
As I mentioned in a post on Wednesday I am living vicariously through my oldest son, an SU senior, who made the road trip to the Verizon Center for the East regional. (However I earned my IPA celebratory hangover on my own. I now understand that 55 year olds should not keep drinking until 3 AM watching Sportscenter hoping to see Cuse highlights for the 15th time.)

The Cuse student section was relatively small since it required blowing off 2 days of classes, $250 for a ticket, knowing someone with a car, a place to stay in DC and the willingness to either lie to your parents or a parent(s) who think that all of the above is somehow a good idea. Most of the students were in last 3 rows of section 113 right in front of a private box full of IU fans. Section 113 is opposite the Cuse bench in the corner. There were many more students than seats. Most of the fans around them were friendly and tolerated the students loud chants without complaint. The ushers were constantly warning the students to calm down or they would be kicked out.

About 10 rows in front of the students were 2 loud obnoxious IU fans (students?) who were also not far from the SU family section. They were constantly screaming and cursing at the SU student section. In the second half when MCW was shootings FTs the 2 started chanting "Lord & Taylor" which caused a man and 2 women from the SU family section to confront them. There was alot of screaming, pointing and cursing between the 2 groups before an usher was called and the 2 IU fans were kicked out.

In the second half during a timeout, DC,who was sitting near the floor stood up, and the students starting chanting "Derr-ick Cole-man" until he waived to them. The students then did the same type chant for Billy Owens and Hakim Warrick until they stood up and waved. My son said it reminded him of the Yankee Stadium bleacher roll call chant at the beginning of all Yankee games. He is going to try to get the roll call chant going again during a time out at tomorrow's game so if anyone knows which former SU players are going to be at the game please post the info and I'll send it along to my son. IMHO this would be a very cool tradition for SU students to do at all big games.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

I was sitting in 112... Those two fans were asking for trouble all game...

Pretty sure the people from the family section was MCW's dad, stepdad, and mom. Which explains the Deadspin thing about MCWs dad getting in a right with IU fans. I was in the student section too and know for a fact one of the family section people were wearing a #1 tshirt that had Carter Williams on the back.

The Cuse student section was relatively small since it required blowing off 2 days of classes, $250 for a ticket, knowing someone with a car, a place to stay in DC and the willingness to either lie to your parents or a parent(s) who think that all of the above is somehow a good idea.
I hope it was the latter. ;)

He is going to try to get the roll call chant going again during a time out at tomorrow's game so if anyone knows which former SU players are going to be at the game please post the info and I'll send it along to my son.

I just hope George Papadakos does show up.

Nice report.

There is a guy on another forum I frequent who claims to be one of those Indiana fans who were kicked out.

As I mentioned in a post on Wednesday I am living vicariously through my oldest son, an SU senior, who made the road trip to the Verizon Center for the East regional. (However I earned my IPA celebratory hangover on my own. I now understand that 55 year olds should not keep drinking until 3 AM watching Sportscenter hoping to see Cuse highlights for the 15th time.)

The Cuse student section was relatively small since it required blowing off 2 days of classes, $250 for a ticket, knowing someone with a car, a place to stay in DC and the willingness to either lie to your parents or a parent(s) who think that all of the above is somehow a good idea. Most of the students were in last 3 rows of section 113 right in front of a private box full of IU fans. Section 113 is opposite the Cuse bench in the corner. There were many more students than seats. Most of the fans around them were friendly and tolerated the students loud chants without complaint. The ushers were constantly warning the students to calm down or they would be kicked out.

About 10 rows in front of the students were 2 loud obnoxious IU fans (students?) who were also not far from the SU family section. They were constantly screaming and cursing at the SU student section. In the second half when MCW was shootings FTs the 2 started chanting "Lord & Taylor" which caused a man and 2 women from the SU family section to confront them. There was alot of screaming, pointing and cursing between the 2 groups before an usher was called and the 2 IU fans were kicked out.

In the second half during a timeout, DC,who was sitting near the floor stood up, and the students starting chanting "Derr-ick Cole-man" until he waived to them. The students then did the same type chant for Billy Owens and Hakim Warrick until they stood up and waved. My son said it reminded him of the Yankee Stadium bleacher roll call chant at the beginning of all Yankee games. He is going to try to get the roll call chant going again during a time out at tomorrow's game so if anyone knows which former SU players are going to be at the game please post the info and I'll send it along to my son. IMHO this would be a very cool tradition for SU students to do at all big games.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

The people in the box behind us were really cool. Encouraged us to stand up and cheer, said they were quietly pulling for SU (they were from Colorado and friends of some Big Ten people), and took a couple photos of our group.

Very small group of students, understandably, but they all had fun and made noise.

And Derrick was loving the attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom