Report: Syracuse lacrosse player considered boycotting game after coach Lelan Rogers used term 'colo | Syracusefan.com

Report: Syracuse lacrosse player considered boycotting game after coach Lelan Rogers used term 'colo

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
As Lacrosse Grows, the Diversity of Players Remains Largely Unchanged
Drew Jenkins, a junior midfielder for Syracuse who is black, said the defense was going over scouting reports when Rogers used the word. Jenkins said he considered boycotting the next game and asking the two other black players on the roster to join him before ultimately deciding against it. He did, he said, demand an apology from Rogers.

Report: Syracuse lacrosse player considered boycotting game after coach Lelan Rogers used term 'colored'

Could see Lelan moving on after this. Disappointing.

Just realized the NYT article was from Michael Cohen. Must be his first big national article. Too bad it had to shine an ugly light on Syracuse's program.

Could see Lelan moving on after this. Disappointing.

Just realized the NYT article was from Michael Cohen. Must be his first big national article. Too bad it had to shine and ugly light on Syracuse's program.
Why would he move on? Because he made a mistake? We all make mistakes.

If anyone should move on it should be the coach. That is a word that you know you do not use. Has been that way for years. 20 years at least. I personally am not happy to see a coach that represents my university use that word. The player had a right to be upset. Hopefully a lesson was learned by the coach, and everyone will just move forward. But to imply that Syracuse would not want a player to stay in this situation is just plain upsetting to me. Syracuse would never do such a thing, especially when the player was correct in his taking exception with the derogatory word that was used, and it appears that the player is the one who took the high road in the end.

Since when did the word "colored" get to be so offensive?
I view the word "colored" kinda like when an old person calls the fridge an "icebox".
I would laugh at him for sounding like a nerd, not being a racist.

Had he dropped an N bomb, then we would have a problem.

As Lacrosse Grows, the Diversity of Players Remains Largely Unchanged
Drew Jenkins, a junior midfielder for Syracuse who is black, said the defense was going over scouting reports when Rogers used the word. Jenkins said he considered boycotting the next game and asking the two other black players on the roster to join him before ultimately deciding against it. He did, he said, demand an apology from Rogers.

Report: Syracuse lacrosse player considered boycotting game after coach Lelan Rogers used term 'colored'
I am not African American so I ca't begin to imagine the feelings of those affected by this characterization but in all honesty I think that while the coach used an improper description ,he didn't do so with maliceReal malice with intent to hurt is till reserved for that other word I won't ever use. Its goes beyond wrong. We all know that word ,unfortunately.:confused:

Since when did the word "colored" get to be so offensive?
I view the word "colored" kinda like when an old person calls the fridge an "icebox".
I would laugh at him for sounding like a nerd, not being a racist.

Had he dropped an N bomb, then we would have a problem.
When did it get to be offensive? Really? How's 1965 or so sound?

Cohen trying to make a name for himself. He should stick to doing football recruiting stories on players who are considered "long shots" to attend Syracuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are to effen sensitive these days. Give me a break.
Jar Head, I believe the right to be "sensitive has been earned asnd beaten into some people. I know you know this.You were/are a Marine and you have heard the worse names with respect to many races. None are accepted as they all cause harm.

First of all, I think the NYTimes article is garbage. Linking one assistant coach's misguided use of the word "colored" to show that lacrosse is still a white sport? That's a reach at best, desperation for a story at worst. Timing is interesting as well.

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion on what types of words are offensive, and this thread shows that. But for a coach at SU, which is such a diverse school, to be throwing that word around just makes me dizzy. Whether you like it or not, words like that lead to losing your job. If he was too dumb to realize that, well, that's on him.

1964 called and they want their vocabulary back.
The 1994 cast of "In Living Color" called and said this is an effin' popular culture thing that changes every two years. Behead everyone that isn't keeping up!

I think I'm going to tell my son to protest his basketball coaches the next time they tell him to guard the "white" kid on the other team.

Really, how insane does that sound? I understand the historical significance of the word Coach Rogers used, but c'mon. We live in 2013 and a black man is the most powerful man in the world. Isn't it time to grow a set? I can understand if it was a pattern, but one slip of the tongue should not be scolded to this degree.

And piss on the reporter for releasing a non story. What a clown.

So, perhaps we need some guidance.
"People of color" is politically correct.
"Colored" is racist.
You have to be skilled in grammar these days.

Colored is left over from post civil war and Jim crow era mistreatment and racism. Black or African American is acceptable. Why is this not common knowledge among whiteys?

People are to effen sensitive these days. Give me a break.
While I agree people are too sensitive today, there are things said that should not go unchallenged. If a speaker was to say that Hitler was good to the jews, anyone offended (everyone?) should feel free to sound off. Jim, I once saw a guy wearing a shirt with marines on it that said "the real terrorists". I don't think a marine would be too effen sensitive if they saw that shirt and wacked the guy. It really depends on whose gore is being oxed.