Report: Syracuse lacrosse player considered boycotting game after coach Lelan Rogers used term 'colo | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Report: Syracuse lacrosse player considered boycotting game after coach Lelan Rogers used term 'colo

I have to ask, why does Cohen think Desko's comment is so ignorant? I can ask one question that will prove that it is confusing.

What do you call a black man who might be from Jamaica? Is calling him an African American not offensive to him?

Look if the guy would of used the N word it would be different. When I got orders to Japan in 1998 my 80 year old great grandmother in Law said don't trust those Japs because they will attack you when your not looking. She lost her Brother in Pearl Harbor to the Attack their. That's what she rembered of the Japanese the nicest people I had ever met. Point is different generations use different words. Would I ever say collared no but I bet my parents would.

While I agree people are too sensitive today, there are things said that should not go unchallenged. If a speaker was to say that Hitler was good to the jews, anyone offended (everyone?) should feel free to sound off. Jim, I once saw a guy wearing a shirt with marines on it that said "the real terrorists". I don't think a marine would be too effen sensitive if they saw that shirt and wacked the guy. It really depends on whose gore is being oxed.
If I saw that shirt I would laugh! I was called a honkie once and I laughed for about 10 mins to me Honkie is a funny word...point being relax people!

Not a huge lacrosse guy, although im becoming! I know Lelan, he wrestled for Fulton w a cousin of mine...heard he was a monster and know he was a state champ. Anyways, great guy and far from racist, just made a "politically incorrect" statement for todays world. Don't think he should be punished in any way.

Colored is left over from post civil war and Jim crow era mistreatment and racism. Black or African American is acceptable. Why is this not common knowledge among whiteys?
Why is "Whiteys" an acceptable term?

It's not like he called him a jive turkey, then there would be blood.

It's long been said the group in charge of the media has campaigned with certain racial agendas to keep us at odds with one another by conditioning us to think we should be offended by a number of things that normally wouldn't bother us until said conditioning taught us we were being affronted. There is social engineering going on, but rather than get into it here I'll leave it up to each of you if you feel like googling race baiting or similar terms in order to understand how they keep races divided and bickering over relatively minor differences, while our government and money erodes with relatively little notice. I predict there will be a time relatively soon when we won't be able to be worried about such minor things. These things don't happen by accident people, and if I can get one person interested enough to think about it and draw their own conclusions, I will think my typing and partial ostracism hasn't been entirely in vein. :) It's like the parable of the seeds

Colored is left over from post civil war and Jim crow era mistreatment and racism. Black or African American is acceptable. Why is this not common knowledge among whiteys?
Somebody tell the NAACP -
National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

Cohen's article lost all credibility when he called Kyle Harrison the greatest midfielder in lacrosse history. Ah the age old argument, who was better? Jim Brown, Gary Gait or Kyle Harrison? Who's to say?

Thanks for the information Whitey. :rolling:

My college educated red neck father n law ex teacher calls African Americans colored people and his wife calls Obama a Mulatto. When I told her that those terms not acceptable she looked at me like I was from Jupiter. In that case I would be an alien. Oh I also told her that Oriental was passe as well. Thank god they don't know or are ever in the company of colors mulattos orientals or aliens.

It's long been said the group in charge of the media has campaigned with certain racial agendas to keep us at odds with one another by conditioning us to think we should be offended by a number of things that normally wouldn't bother us until said conditioning taught us we were being affronted. There is social engineering going on, but rather than get into it here I'll leave it up to each of you if you feel like googling race baiting or similar terms in order to understand how they keep races divided and bickering over relatively minor differences, while our government and money erodes with relatively little notice. I predict there will be a time relatively soon when we won't be able to be worried about such minor things. These things don't happen by accident people, and if I can get one person interested enough to think about it and draw their own conclusions, I will think my typing and partial ostracism hasn't been entirely in vein. :) It's like the parable of the seeds
There's "no more racism" is unfortunartely the new racism.

When did it get to be offensive? Really? How's 1965 or so sound?

NAACP has been running strong since 1909 using that word but they could probably get rid of it as well and just focus on advancing all people instead of "colored" people. Afterall, I believe we're all "colored" to some extent or another.

Still, the coach has to do better than that. Is it that hard to say player #X, said players last name, or players position when trying to draw focus to him?

My college educated red neck father n law ex teacher calls African Americans colored people and his wife calls Obama a Mulatto. When I told her that those terms not acceptable she looked at me like I was from Jupiter. In that case I would be an alien. Oh I also told her that Oriental was passe as well. Thank god they don't know or are ever in the company of colors mulattos orientals or aliens.

Was he educated in Kentucky?

My comment above was meant to shed light on the author's obvious ignorance of lacrosse history in a tongue in cheek fashion. I see the subtleties were lost...

Coach Simmons built this program in part by embracing players from all cultures. Black and native american players have flourished here. Simmie's dad had the balls to put Jimmy Brown on the team in an era when most football programs weren't even integrated. And then had his son room with Brown on the road. He saw REAL racism. I don't think that was ever lost on him.

I find the implication that Syracuse is somehow at the epicenter of institutional racism in lacrosse to be offensive. And some serious BS considering the program's history. It's particularly insulting to Coach Simmons and the ideology he has practiced and preached.

There are and always have been socio-economic factors that impact the number of black players. It starts at the youth level. But to target SU because of one stupid and insensitive comment is garbage.

All that said, let's bring home number dozen. And don't call me whitey.