RGIII's Top 5 Teams on the Rise | Syracusefan.com

RGIII's Top 5 Teams on the Rise

Stern

All American
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Top 5 Teams on the Rise <br><br>1.<a href="x.com">@Vol_Football</a> <br>2.<a href="x.com">@CanesFootball</a> <br>3. <a href="x.com">@LouisvilleFB</a> <br>4.<a href="x.com">@UCF_Football</a><br>5.<a href="x.com">@CuseFootball</a> <a href="x.com">pic.twitter.com/skouA4UNS0</a></p>&mdash; Robert Griffin III (@RGIII) <a href="">September 11, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It’s been 2 weeks with Fran brown and we have more media attention than I can remember. Been mccords performance and our competency as a unit - we are getting noticed
Yeah, we went 6-0 and 4-0 in back-to-back seasons and didn't get nearly the coverage. The national media senses a difference between those two years and this one, it seems.

Yeah, we went 6-0 and 4-0 in back-to-back seasons and didn't get nearly the coverage. The national media senses a difference between those two years and this one, it seems.
Exactly! I know we had a little attention then, but media who knows CFB sees this is different. We are just getting started and are more “complete” (minus ST issues) then those 6-0 & 4-0 teams ever were.

If you only talked about the depth of the lineup and how McCord is dropping NFL caliber passes all over the field there’d be enough there to justify a little additional hype but it goes beyond that. Greatly improved o line play so far, fantastic game plans that are well executed (ignoring ST for a moment) and more … I loved how the crowd on Saturday was so taken by the play of McCord and receiver corps by the second half that there were loud gasps when he didn’t connect. So nice

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Top 5 Teams on the Rise <br><br>1.<a href="x.com">@Vol_Football</a> <br>2.<a href="x.com">@CanesFootball</a> <br>3. <a href="x.com">@LouisvilleFB</a> <br>4.<a href="x.com">@UCF_Football</a><br>5.<a href="x.com">@CuseFootball</a> <a href="x.com">pic.twitter.com/skouA4UNS0</a></p>&mdash; Robert Griffin III (@RGIII) <a href="">September 11, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Wow 3 ACC teams of the 5

Wow 3 ACC teams of the 5
Yes that is nice. But unfortunately coming along with 3 teams on the Rise are 3 teams flailing unexpectedly. Florida State, NC STate and VT have looked much worse than anticipated so far.

Sorta.

RGIII is unemployed national media putting posts out there.

I’ll take it. But I would be skeptical too if I were in the national media. And I care a lot more about the future months than 16%-of—the-season accolades.

Sorta.

I’ll take it. But I would be skeptical too if I were in the national media. And I care a lot more about the future months than 16%-of—the-season accolades.
II didn't realize he was unemployed. I liked him doing color commentary.

It was too late in Dino's tenure. We got good publicity from the Virginia Tech win in 2016, the Clemson win in 2017, and going into the Notre Dame game in 2018 as well. That game being a blowout dampened media coverage, 2019 killed it - the media wasn't going to be burned again by Dino. We were a "very occasionally great, generally mediocre" program - fast starts weren't going to get anyone to buy into Syracuse again.

We've gotten good media attention early in a head coach's tenure before - just every other time for two decades we've pretty quickly squandered it. Hopefully this time is legitimately different.

McCord

Yeah, this is it, really. The first time in what seems forever that we truly have, not only a legit P5 level QB, but perhaps an elite one. Coach Fran alluded to same at the brief half time interview he gave against the 'Wreck when he uttered, "we have Kyle McCord!"

Undoubtedly, it's why this 2-0 start for media types, etc. seemingly are giving more love to 'Cuse, whereas not so much the case in the aforementioned 6-0 and 4-0 starts the past 2 seasons? I do find it somewhat interesting, considering our two W's have come at home against what appear to be generally mediocre type teams in Ohio U and GT.

It looks like this season we will again probably start off undefeated at 4-0 before taking on UNLV in our first road game. I am certainly hopeful that this season won't play out as the last 2 have once we get more in the "meat" of the schedule, however, I'll remain grounded until the actual results prove otherwise.

Sorta.

There has been more besides RGIII though.

It was too late in Dino's tenure. We got good publicity from the Virginia Tech win in 2016, the Clemson win in 2017, and going into the Notre Dame game in 2018 as well. That game being a blowout dampened media coverage, 2019 killed it - the media wasn't going to be burned again by Dino. We were a "very occasionally great, generally mediocre" program - fast starts weren't going to get anyone to buy into Syracuse again.

We've gotten good media attention early in a head coach's tenure before - just every other time for two decades we've pretty quickly squandered it. Hopefully this time is legitimately different.
The 6-0 start was so under the radar that SU was ranked 14th. There was plenty of attention.

The 6-0 start was so under the radar that SU was ranked 14th. There was plenty of attention.

If you directly correlate ranking to attention - sure.

But “They didn’t know” was a college football highlight on the wrap-up shows.
Beating Clemson owned Sportcenter.
Beating NC State in was barely noted, other than as a reason to watch to see if Syracuse could beat Clemson the following week. (Spoiler - we did not).

“We were ranked, and that’s enough attention for me!” is kind of a weird take. Because the media absolutely was not taking Syracuse as seriously or devoting as much coverage to Syracuse in 2022 as they did early in Dino’s tenure.

I think it's the OL performance. They look solid, not haphazard