Richardson has sure turned it around | Syracusefan.com

Richardson has sure turned it around

Millhouse

Living Legend
he had the just about the worst december ever from three and the best january

not that big a list of guys with 26 3s in January at 57% and they're all mid majors.

i doubt he'll keep it up, i would doubt that curry could keep this up. but still. for me it's like St Johns never happened

in january he's 58% from 3 and 30% from 2 - that's pretty funny

pretty amazing to be at 33% for the year from 3 with a horrific game or two this early in the season
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts

It's been a nice run - he's trying less of those step back shots, and less attempts trying to shoot off the bounce. It's good that he's been able to identify a weakness in his shooting and steer himself away from it.

His offensive game is really coming around - if he can tone down the turnovers on some of the bad passes I would be thrilled. Overall though, you can't complain much - he's making some tough passes off the bounce too, and that deserves a mention as well.

Everyone is looking for the next Curry. Mal keeps this up and he's gone.

he is the most talented player on this years team easily. he is a more natural shooter than cooney or gbinije and he attacks off the dribble from the wing better than either of them. I would be shocked if the nba comes calling this year, I don't think he is polished enough. I think he is a better rebounder than gbinije already too. next year, battle-Richardson-Roberson-lydon-chukwu with howard as the third guard and moyer as the third forward, I can even live with obokoh as the second center. maybe coleman stays and becomes the super sub at center. maybe we get Thompson who seems to have enough size for backup center. maybe we can land a proven guard that can play ahead of howard. this year sucks, we were gutted by the sanctions but it would seem that we are in a position to bounce back.

Hyper meet bole
Not saying he is the next Curry. The sample size is way too small but we may be seeing the start of something extraordinary. As teams search for the next Curry they will search out athletic guards with gaudy 3 point percentages. His modus fits the next hot NBA fad. The scouts will be pondering his potential. My point is that if he keeps this up he will be exactly what will be in vogue for the next draft. Curry is showing the league that the most effective weapon is a guard that score at will from any spot on the floor.

Last edited:
his outside shot looks like its going in every time.

However, his drives often result in these crazy circus attempts as he cant get as far to the rim as he thought he could when he initiated the drive. He's been getting bailed out by some fouls, but if he keeps this up, the refs are going to stop giving him that call. He's not close to being ready for the pros, and of course that doesnt mean that he wont go.

Last edited:
Good things happen when he drives. It opens up the court a bunch. G drives, but he's the primary ball handler, so it doesn't have the same affect, even though his finishes are probably more effective at this point.
(I like everything Richardson is bringing right now)

When is the last time the NBA cared about polish when evaluating a prospect?
polish is usually something reserved for a three or four year guy with low ceiling

I am just happy that hes been on a tear. If he can keep it up we will start running on all cylinders again and do some damage

How often do dudes go from being on zero NBA radars for over half the season to being projected as a lottery pick by the end of the season?

I think there are far too many possessions were Richardsons does not touch the ball. I don't know who's fault this is (Richardson, Boeheum, Gbinije), but I hope this is rectified. Even with the mistakes, he is this team's best offensive option. I don't think he makes more mistakes than this team's senior leaders.

Not saying he is the next Curry. The sample size is way too small but we may be seeing the start of something extraordinary. As teams search for the next Curry they will search out athletic guards with gaudy 3 point percentages. His modus fits the next hot NBA fad. The scouts will be pondering his potential. My point is that if he keeps this up he will be exactly what will be in vogue for the next draft. Curry is showing the league that the most effective weapon is a guard that score at will from any spot on the floor.

Is Curry your definition of an "athletic guard"? This comparison is so odd to me.

He's reformed his mechanics a little and returned to the form he showed in November (when I was surprised to not have read about the clean shooting stroke of our new recruit). He's squaring up and starting his release a little lower - not exactly a set shot, but it's a slower and longer release now.

This guy's going to be a good player; he can do a little of everything. And if Syracuse ever decides it wants to play transition basketball again, he could be a big part of that - able to grab a rebound and fire a quick outlet (hopefully to someone in uniform on the court) or take it downcourt himself.

he is the most talented player on this years team easily. he is a more natural shooter than cooney or gbinije and he attacks off the dribble from the wing better than either of them. I would be shocked if the nba comes calling this year, I don't think he is polished enough. I think he is a better rebounder than gbinije already too. ...

He sleeps a lot. But I agree that when he's focused he displays a tenacity like Anthony, Jackson, or Roberson. He goes after some boards like he needs to have them. This could improve as he gets more comfortable with all of his defensive responsibilities. (Though if he's destined to play the two, chalk this up as one more guy whose development is stunted by this misfit team.)

his outside shot looks like its going in every time.

However, his drives often result in these crazy circus attempts as he cant get as far to the rim as he thought he could when he initiated the drive. He's been getting bailed out by some fouls, but if he keeps this up, the refs are going to stop giving him that call. He's not close to being ready for the pros, and of course that doesnt mean that he wont go.
He doesn't get "bailed out", he gets fouled because he forces the opposition to react, and they can't react quickly enough to draw the charge. I see that as a huge plus. The circus shots are after contact in an attempt to get the basket and foul. He has also made some pretty sweet passes this year. He is coming along very well. I hope the rest of the year shows incremental improvement and next year, he and Lydon will be the stars that we are accustomed to seeing in Orange.

This will probably make some heads explode here, but looking at Richardson's game and offensive versatility, he reminds me of J.R. Smith. I mean that as a compliment.

Everyone is looking for the next Curry. Mal keeps this up and he's gone.
Hes the most important part of next years team maybe as much as chuckwu imo. Nobody will be able to do anywhere even remotely near what he can do pulling up off the dribble next year and its really going to hurt imo, like it did 2 years ago if that happens.

Is Curry your definition of an "athletic guard"? This comparison is so odd to me.
Name one player on this Planet that has a quicker release. I don't expect him to dunk over or power through people like James. He has athletic skills that make his physical short comings irrelevant. there are plenty of other high percentage three point shooters in the league but none of them is athletic enough to create their own shot whenever they want. What separates Curry from the other marksmen is his exceptional athletic ability. How is that odd to you? You think he is a stiff that happens to shoot a high percentage?

Name one player on this Planet that has a quicker release. I don't expect him to dunk over or power through people like James. He has athletic skills that make his physical short comings irrelevant. there are plenty of other high percentage three point shooters in the league but none of them is athletic enough to create their own shot whenever they want. What separates Curry from the other marksmen is his exceptional athletic ability. How is that odd to you? You think he is a stiff that happens to shoot a high percentage?

I typically think of athletic and physical skills as one and the same. When I think of an athletic guard, guys like Kyrie Irving and Russell Westbrook immediately jump to mind. I think his quicker release, which is amazing all by itself, is a reaction to that lack of an ability to jump over other defenders and is not something i think of with a kid like Mal.

I absolutely do not think he's a stiff. His work to improve his handle once getting to the NBA is something every athlete should see and use as motivation to get themselves transformed into a top level athlete.

The knock on Curry out of Davidson was his lack of athleticism. He's the most skilled basketball player ever, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a freak athlete. Malachi is going to be a two and I don't know what comparison in the NBA I would pick for him, definately not Curry though. He is not a good passer.

The knock on Curry out of Davidson was his lack of athleticism. He's the most skilled basketball player ever, but I wouldn't necessarily call him a freak athlete. Malachi is going to be a two and I don't know what comparison in the NBA I would pick for him, definately not Curry though. He is not a good passer.

I think Mal has great vision for a two guard though. He sees the place where the ball should go, he just doesn't always execute the pass in the way that a good point guard would. Like sending it 20 rows deep instead of into the hands of the big on the wing for example.

I think Mal has great vision for a two guard though. He sees the place where the ball should go, he just doesn't always execute the pass in the way that a good point guard would. Like sending it 20 rows deep instead of into the hands of the big on the wing for example.

I think he has good vision, but he has more turnovers than assists on the season and struggles with the simpler passes. He's a finisher, not a guy good at setting others up to score.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom