Richmond post-game thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Richmond post-game thoughts

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
I think that for all the heat he has given Benny and Chris Bell, how critical he has been of them, that this was their game to see if they could figure it out, see if they could get it done. This was Boeheim letting them play through it, in hopes they mature a bit and learn how to win as college players.

It would have been a shame if we lost this game, because I saw an awful lot of good things tonight. This was our best game so far, in my opinion.

Jesse didn't even play that well, but our defense was actually pretty good tonight. Certainly the best it's been so far this year. Mounir Hima is a better version of Jeremy McNeil as our back-up center. He can block shots, and he can actually score around the basket.

People could say that our other two forwards could have played in the second half, and we might have done better, won by more. And you might be right.

But tonight was about giving confidence to our two starting forwards. This was about investing in their upside, and the team's upside, because if they play well, we will do better as a team.

Bell did more than park himself at the 3 point line, and he had his best game to date. Benny brought real effort, and although his stat line wasn't crazy, he had four steals. That said a lot to me about his effort tonight. Everybody played pretty well. Nice growth as a team.

Girard was awesome in the first half, the defense was pretty awesome late in the second half, Judah was super in OT. Guessing Edwards is a little bit under the weather or something. Bell and Benny went hard.
JB was right after the cgate game, 74 is what we need at the end of regulation, not ot.

When the post touches arent going through edwards, it gives our offense a complete makeover. So much heart!!! Man Im super happy we won!!!

Joe took a few bad shots the 2nd half. But the team has gotten better every game. Not sure how high the ceiling is, but they were in much better spots on the floor on both sides of the ball tonight.. Can they rebound enough.. if we lose that by 5-7 and not 18 we win by 10+

Girard was awesome in the first half, the defense was pretty awesome late in the second half, Judah was super in OT. Guessing Edwards is a little bit under the weather or something. Bell and Benny went hard.
JB was right after the cgate game, 74 is what we need at the end of regulation, not ot.

So much heart!!! Man Im super happy we won!!!

Joe was scoring from everywhere in the first half. In all, I only counted 2 or 3 shots out of 20 that made me cringe a bit.

Richmond’s center is a pretty tough player - Richmond looks like a decent team - but they now have 3 losses - who knows

I think that for all the heat he has given Benny and Chris Bell, how critical he has been of them, that this was their game to see if they could figure it out, see if they could get it done. This was Boeheim letting them play through it, in hopes they mature a bit and learn how to win as college players.

It would have been a shame if we lost this game, because I saw an awful lot of good things tonight. This was our best game so far, in my opinion.

Jesse didn't even play that well, but our defense was actually pretty good tonight. Certainly the best it's been so far this year. Mounir Hima is a better version of Jeremy McNeil as our back-up center. He can block shots, and he can actually score around the basket.

People could say that our other two forwards could have played in the second half, and we might have done better, won by more. And you might be right.

But tonight was about giving confidence to our two starting forwards. This was about investing in their upside, and the team's upside, because if they play well, we will do better as a team.

Bell did more than park himself at the 3 point line, and he had his best game to date. Benny brought real effort, and although his stat line wasn't crazy, he had four steals. That said a lot to me about his effort tonight. Everybody played pretty well. Nice growth as a team.
Bingo

Pretty big gamble this early in the season. It did pay off.

Joe took a few bad shots the 2nd half. But the team has gotten better every game. Not sure how high the ceiling is, but they were in much better spots on the floor on both sides of the ball tonight.. Can they rebound enough.. if we lose that by 5-7 and not 18 we win by 10+
Joe took a ton of bad shots all game. They went in the first half. They did not the second half. Shot quality didn’t really change

Richmond’s center is a pretty tough player - Richmond looks like a decent team - but they now have 3 losses - who knows
Some of that could be parity and it's early in the season. Look at Temple. They have lost to both Wagner and Vandrrbilt in overtime but beat Villanova. I thought the Richmond coach held his team back making them use the entire shot clock, as other coaches have done to us through the years, and it came back to bite them four times. They have some good players.

Joe took a ton of bad shots all game. They went in the first half. They did not the second half. Shot quality didn’t really change
If you compare all the shots before his first heat check with all the shots after, his shot selection was much better with the former.

And not only because they went in.

Their center was pretty good. Very solid footwork around the rim. Strong guy.

Looking at the first half of this St. John's / Temple game, it doesn't matter which one of them we play tomorrow, it's going to be one of those scrappy "effort" games.

They both have pretty good centers, too. St. John's seems to have a bit more size and wants to run, but they're sloppy with the basketball.

Temple runs better offense, but also turns the ball over a lot. I think if we hold our turnovers under 10, like we did tonight, and we get some steals and some blocks out of the zone, it will make up for a small shortfall on the boards.

I think that JB has actually not been that harsh with Benny. When he talks with him, he is generally not yelling, he has his hand on him, etc. He has been a lot firmer with other up and down players in the past.

As for letting Brown play the second half, I thought JB recently said that Maliq has been nursing an injury.

I think that JB has actually not been that harsh with Benny. When he talks with him, he is generally not yelling, he has his hand on him, etc. He has been a lot firmer with other up and down players in the past.

As for letting Brown play the second half, I thought JB recently said that Maliq has been nursing an injury.

Thanks for the info about Maliq, Dick. I have noticed what you're talking about with JB's handling of Benny. He "spazzed on him bad" (as Benny said) after one of the earlier games, but I agree, JB is trying to do a lot of teaching. We are clearly making progress as a team.

Their center was pretty good. Very solid footwork around the rim. Strong guy.

Looking at the first half of this St. John's / Temple game, it doesn't matter which one of them we play tomorrow, it's going to be one of those scrappy "effort" games.

They both have pretty good centers, too. St. John's seems to have a bit more size and wants to run, but they're sloppy with the basketball.

Temple runs better offense, but also turns the ball over a lot. I think if we hold our turnovers under 10, like we did tonight, and we get some steals and some blocks out of the zone, it will make up for a small shortfall on the boards.
There’s one shooter in the Temple/St. John’s game and that is Battle. He can really shoot. St. JOHN’s can’t shoot a lick.

"No no no no, Yes!"

We have 2 forwards that combined to get 4 rebounds in 74 minutes of court time. Is Brown injured? Because we need someone who can get a damn rebound. Though I was impressed that Bell hit some shots and actually showed a pulse tonight.

It’s an interesting thought. Some of his shots in the first half were pretty wild, but they went in so many might not see it this way. But I don’t think you’re wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom