Right on schedule | Syracusefan.com

Right on schedule

Crusty

Living Legend
Hard to overestimate the importance of yesterday's win over Virginia Tach. Just when our spirits were in the dumps over the Wake Forest loss, Babers and staff dig deep and somehow manage to fire up this young team to turn in an inspirational victory. Great that it happened at home with Tommy DeVito and other important recruits in the house watching, which is exactly what the program needs. We also got great tube time on ESPN.

The up and down performances of both units so far this season are typical of a young team learning new systems. I expect that to continue perhaps with higher highs and fewer lows. There will be more bad games as well as good ones. Development is never in a straight line so it is important that we simply continue to improve. At this stage that is all we have a right to expect - anything more is a bonus.

When we hit a low spot, as we inevitably will before the season is over, just think of the future.
  1. Dungey is a sophomore. He is leading the ACC in passing and we have not yet seen his best.
  2. Our starting running backs are a true sophomore and true freshmen.
  3. Our O Line is very young, Both starting guards are RSF, backed up by a RSF and RSS.
  4. Our starting center is a RSF backed up by a RSS.
  5. Ishi and Erv are juniors and will be back next year. Our WR recruiting is very encouraging.
  6. Both starting DE are true freshmen backed up by a true freshmen and graduate transfer.
  7. Our starting nose tackle is a true sophomore up by a true freshmen.
  8. Our defensive tackles are a RSS and TS.
  9. Our secondary has six on the two deep that are sophomores or freshmen.
  10. We even have a freshmen punter!
We are third the ACC is total offense (ahead of Clemson), but 11th in total scoring. We are first in passing and 12th in rushing. To me, this indicates a young team in the process of learning a radically new system. We will get better in scoring as our OLinewe matures and our running game improves - and we master the offense.

The defense is dead last in the ACC in total defense. Even though we may be under-manned, we should improve as the communication improves and our young guys get playing experience. We have too many guys one-year removed from high school ball.

All things considered (I haven't even mentioned injuries), I think we are right on schedule. By mid-year 2017, we should be a very good (still young) team. We have a very professional staff with experience working together and a system perfectly suited to the dome. Forget the miscues and focus on the journey. We are on our way.
Go Dino!
Go Orange!

Well reasoned post! Thanks for the insight and reminder of just how damn young this team is. Potential is scary good!

Good post.

Probably should not mention injuries. We have a handful of kids out - so do most teams at this point. Despite the concerns about depth, the replacement DBs have played OK; same for Byrne and Adams on the o-line. Meanwhile, we have our starting QB, all 4 receivers, all 4 RBs.

On the defense, we have a lot of young players (pretty similar to last season actually) and also young coaches. I think the coaches are starting to figure a few things out - using more blitzes and pressures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom