RIP Bernie Custis. ** | Syracusefan.com

RIP Bernie Custis. **

A Tony Gabriel mention in that article.

RIP Bernie.

rip--and thank you for all you had done for being an outstanding representative and role model for all. on and off the field. my special "our fathers " for the family.

Great player! Unfortunately not surrounded with great talent during the SU days. When protection failed he'd scramble right, left, then right again, and finally throw a perfect pass only to have it dropped. But he was the start of better days for Coach S. Avatus Stone, another black succeeded him and it was upwards and onward. RIP.

I played freshman football in 1949 and Bernie Custis was the varsity quarterback. When we scrimmaged the varsity we were told not to hit Bernie and a running back (Bob Young I believe) as they were the team. I, to that point , had never seen a quarterback with such an arm. He could throw a jump pass (we did that then) 50 yards. Sad loss

I played freshman football in 1949 and Bernie Custis was the varsity quarterback. When we scrimmaged the varsity we were told not to hit Bernie and a running back (Bob Young I believe) as they were the team. I, to that point , had never seen a quarterback with such an arm. He could throw a jump pass (we did that then) 50 yards. Sad loss
Please share any more memories you have of Bernie or anything else from that time period.

I was one of 4 walk-ons that survived the cut. This was Ben's first year and he brought in some great players. Avatus Stone was a friend and a good guy (not as, I felt, portrayed in "The Express") Are there any others from that team that read this forum? Do you remember us undressing, showering and redressing then putting Stoney on the bus back to Syracuse after our freshman game at Colgate. No concussion protocols then and he got clobbered in the first half, played the balance of the game and had no clue where he was. We also had two players on the team who kept their helmets on for the entire game as they went on a raid to Colgate earlier in the week, got caught and had a block C shaved into their heads. Had several on the team who, subsequently, went on to outstanding careers. Some fabulous memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom