RIP Bobby Knight | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Bobby Knight

That's just incredible
Man this is a generational divide. He probably thought he was playing with kid gloves. And he was probably right. The longer you stick around, the farther to the margins you exist.

That’s Bobby Cremins. Huh?
Lol, and Knight never win back to back titles. The last one to do it was Billy Donovan in 2006 and 2007. Before that it was Coach K in 1991 and 1992.

Lol, and Knight never win back to back titles. The last one to do it was Billy Donovan in 2006 and 2007. Before that it was Coach K in 1991 and 1992.
Weird career how Cremins quit coaching at only 52 years of age in 2000. Then came back for a short stint at Charleston a little over 6 years later and then quit for good in early 2012 when he was 64.

Yup only Duke and Florida have won back to back titles since UCLA’s streak way back in the late 60’s to early 70’s.

Knight, Patton, Woody Hayes, and the old school nuns who rapped
your knuckles to get your attention. Would love to see someone write a
book comparing and contrasting. I grew up in the 50's and the worst was
a 6th grade teacher who ruled like a frustrated dictator, but in the end we
all appreciated her motives if not her approach. Just the way it was back then.

UCLA fans are the same way about O.J.

You joke (and it is a good joke by the way), but fanbases and this board specifically look at their own teams shortcomings differently than their opponents/rivals.

For instance, this message board reveres Eric Devendorf, who hit a woman while he was at Syracuse. Do you think this fanbase would be as equally forgiving if Scottie Reynolds, Levance Fields, or Kemba Walker hit a woman in college?

You and I both know the answer to that.

Knight, Patton, Woody Hayes, and the old school nuns who rapped
your knuckles to get your attention. Would love to see someone write a
book comparing and contrasting. I grew up in the 50's and the worst was
a 6th grade teacher who ruled like a frustrated dictator, but in the end we
all appreciated her motives if not her approach. Just the way it was back then.
8th grade English teacher - 4'10" former nun. Brought the heat.

That clip reminds me of this scene with Michael Scott where he's reminiscing about something he hated but trying to spin it positively.

You joke (and it is a good joke by the way), but fanbases and this board specifically look at their own teams shortcomings differently than their opponents/rivals.

For instance, this message board reveres Eric Devendorf, who hit a woman while he was at Syracuse. Do you think this fanbase would be as equally forgiving if Scottie Reynolds, Levance Fields, or Kemba Walker hit a woman in college?

The biggest example with the SU fanbase is when some of our fans play dumb or minimize Jim Brown's domestic violence history.

That might all be true. The posters I see in this thread being critical of Knight’s legacy are not those kinds of fans. Some of us at least try for some objectivity and perspective.

That might all be true. The posters I see in this thread being critical of Knight’s legacy are not those kinds of fans. Some of us at least try for some objectivity and perspective.

Sure, some fans are objective. I think most of the fans here are reasonable and have been respectful even if they didn’t like Bobby Knight. But the posters calling him a psychopath and hoping he’s in hell right now are a bit much in my opinion.

I can confidently say their tune would be much different if he was the Syracuse coach and led them to final fours and national titles.

Sure, some fans are objective. I think most of the fans here are reasonable and have been respectful even if they didn’t like Bobby Knight. But the posters calling him a psychopath and hoping he’s in hell right now are a bit much in my opinion.

I can confidently say their tune would be much different if he was the Syracuse coach and led them to final fours and national titles.
You may very well be right, but have you read his Wikipedia page? Granted some of the items are allegations. but a lot of the things are true.

That clip reminds me of this scene with Michael Scott where he's reminiscing about something he hated but trying to spin it positively.

I took this differently, I don’t think he hated it at all, I think he he was genuinely excited to tell the story but to dumb to realize that he missed out on it and also happy for his friend. He felt like he was still a part of the situation enough to tell a cool story and that was enough for him.

He’s done this with other stories too.

Bobby Knight was a great coach and I enjoyed some of the games I heard him call when he was at ESPN. I never really had as a big of a problem with him as most and I know that is probably an unpopular opinion.

You may very well be right, but have you read his Wikipedia page? Granted some of the items are allegations. but a lot of the things are true.

I haven’t read his Wikipedia page. So not sure what’s on there that hasn’t already been widely documented. And I in no way think Knight was anywhere close to a Saint. But some comments on this board have been over-the-top in my opinion.

Bobby Knight was a great coach and I enjoyed some of the games I heard him call when he was at ESPN. I never really had as a big of a problem with him as most and I know that is probably an unpopular opinion.
I also enjoyed him on ESPN. The guy knew what he was talking about and was always very complimentary of JB and Syracuse.

I think you’re wrong. We pull no punches with our Hall of Fame coach.

You make a good point and that's actually one reason I'll never consider Eric among my all time favorite players. Too much off the court stuff to make my list. But I greatly admire the person that Eric appears to be today. Unlike Bobby, he grew up.

I think you’re wrong. We pull no punches with our Hall of Fame coach.

I agree to an extent. Part of the issue with Boeheim though is he stopped winning (similar to how Knight stopped winning) so it became easier to get annoyed with him embarrassing players in press conferences, being a jerk to the media, etc.

I think Boeheim and Knight actually have a lot in common (although Knight’s temperament and record of mistreating players was worse).

You make a good point and that's actually one reason I'll never consider Eric among my all time favorite players. Too much off the court stuff to make my list. But I greatly admire the person that Eric appears to be today. Unlike Bobby, he grew up.

Well said. I’m glad that Devendorf turned things around, as bad as some of his earlier actions were.

Unfortunately Knight seemed too stubborn to do the same.

I think I still know the starting five from his 1976 team: Benson, May, Abernathy. Wilkerson, and Buckner. All five were drafted, if I recall correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom